Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

This will be our first time flying SW, and I'm looking for dates in early May. Is there much of a chance that those dates will be available when the Aug 30th release date comes around? I am itching to get flights booked! Do you know about what time they release the schedule? I want to be sure I get a good option, and there aren't many from where we're located. I am feeling like this is going to be another FP+ or ADR morning!

Nope. But May will probably be out within a month or so of that release. On August 30, they will probably announce the dates for the next release in the travel tools section.

This will be our first time flying SW, and I'm looking for dates in early May. Is there much of a chance that those dates will be available when the Aug 30th release date comes around? I am itching to get flights booked! Do you know about what time they release the schedule? I want to be sure I get a good option, and there aren't many from where we're located. I am feeling like this is going to be another FP+ or ADR morning!
They will release flights they Apr 5th that day. A subsequent release should occur in Sept or Oct that includes your travel dates. The new flights are released for booking in the morning typically between 7 and 8:30 am eastern (that’s an approximate guess based on previous patterns).

What boarding number would you say is the difference between a family of 4 sitting together and not? Late B? Early C?

What boarding number would you say is the difference between a family of 4 sitting together and not? Late B? Early C?
Are you boarding an empty plane, or a plane with thru passengers?

If empty plane...I'd say Early-Mid B if there is a strong contingent of family boarders. If thru passengers, impossible to really calculate.

If empty plane...I'd say Early-Mid B if there is a strong contingent of family boarders. If thru passengers, impossible to really calculate.
Last trip we were B50’s and when we boarded in Orlando there were only single seats left. I’m not saying this is the norm but it took 5 mins of the flight attendants requesting people to move if they were willing for us to get 2 seats together.

Lesson learned the hard way for us and I now pay for EBCI coming home in case we’re busy at the 24 hour mark.

Last trip we were B50’s and when we boarded in Orlando there were only single seats left. I’m not saying this is the norm but it took 5 mins of the flight attendants requesting people to move if they were willing for us to get 2 seats together.

Lesson learned the hard way for us and I now pay for EBCI coming home in case we’re busy at the 24 hour mark.
Yep - I'd agree that B50 would be rough if you're looking for seats together. Depending on which type of plane you're on here's what you're looking at boarding:

118 Aisle and Window Seats: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Southwest_Airlines/Southwest_Airlines_Boeing_737-800_new.php
118 Aisle and Window Seats: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Southwest_Airlines/Southwest_Airlines_Boeing_737_Max_8.php
96 Aisle and Window Seats: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Southwest_Airlines/Southwest_Airlines_Boeing_737-700_new.php

At B50 you'd figure 109 people will board the flight before you. Even if you're on the smaller 143 seat setup which has 96 Aisle and Window seats, you feel like you should be fine. BUT of course...how many are doing family boarding? That's the real wildcard...If a bunch of people family board, those seats together can get eaten up real quick. I don't even think B29 and B30 is guaranteed seats together...but that's about as far as I'd even remotely feel comfortable.

Just want to double check, with EBCI I do not need to check in at all. They will do it for me and email me the information.

:)

Just want to double check, with EBCI I do not need to check in at all. They will do it for me and email me the information.

Information will not be emailed to you unless this is something new. I normally check-in at a kiosk at the airport to see boarding pass numbers. Normally print a copy of my boarding pass at that time.

You can check in, if you like, anytime, starting 24 hours before scheduled departure time. At that point, you will have automatically been checked in at T-36, and your boarding numbers will already have been assigned. If you check in, online, you can see your boarding numbers, as well as print, text, or email the boarding pass(es); the system will ask which option you'd like (you can request all three, if you like).

You can check in, if you like, anytime, starting 24 hours before scheduled departure time. At that point, you will have automatically been checked in at T-36, and your boarding numbers will already have been assigned. If you check in, online, you can see your boarding numbers, as well as print, text, or email the boarding pass(es); the system will ask which option you'd like (you can request all three, if you like).
Thanks for posting this part. I haven't flown SW since Jan and so much has changed. Good to know about these options!

Southwest has announced changes in service and emotional support animal policies:
Effective for travel beginning September 17, 2018, Southwest is changing our policies for accepting emotional support animals (ESAs) on our flights. A Customer must still comply with all documentation requirements set forth by federal regulations. Additionally, Southwest is implementing the following changes:
  • The ESA must be either a dog or a cat.
  • Each Customer may bring only one ESA on the flight.
  • The ESA must be in a carrier that can be stowed under the seat in front of the Customer or on a leash at all times while in the airport and onboard the aircraft.
Also, the following changes are being made in regard to trained service animals:

Effective for travel beginning September 17, 2018, Southwest is making changes to our existing policies for accommodating Customers with disabilities who seek to travel with a fully trained service animal in the cabin. Customers with disabilities seeking to travel with a trained service animal must still provide credible verbal assurance that the animal is a trained service animal. Additionally, note the following changes to our policy:
  1. Southwest will only accept the following species of animals in our cabin as trained service animals – dogs, cats and miniature horses.
  2. Southwest will accept fully trained psychiatric service animals as trained service animals
https://www.southwestaircommunity.c...icy-Changes-Effective-September-17/ba-p/78566

Last edited:
Thank you to the people who responded to my questions earlier.

I called Southwest regarding the use of gift cards and the person I talked to, said you can use as many as 2 gift cards per passenger but only one credit card to complete reservation. So I asked a scenario "So if I have 4 people flying I could use 7 gift cards and 1 credit card to complete my reservation" and he said yes.

Just thought I would let people know, as I learn so much from these boards. Wish every luck tomorrow on getting the flights they need at a great price :yay:.
Thank you for this, I was just trying to make sure I understood the policy. I thought the deal was 3 methods of payment per person per reservation, so I could use three gift cards if it covers the entire cost or 2 plus a credit card if I don't have enough money on gift cards to cover the entire cost.

Has anyone actually booked a multiple person reservation using more than 3 gift cards per transaction to in fact confirm that it you can use more than 3 gift cards if you have more than one person on the reservation? I want to make sure I am clear before I run out buying $50 Southwest gift cards using Swagbucks. I don't want to get stuck with them.

Thank you.

This is probably a stupid question, but is it possible to know in advance if it's an empty plane or one with thru passengers?

Thank you for this, I was just trying to make sure I understood the policy. I thought the deal was 3 methods of payment per person per reservation, so I could use three gift cards if it covers the entire cost or 2 plus a credit card if I don't have enough money on gift cards to cover the entire cost.

Has anyone actually booked a multiple person reservation using more than 3 gift cards per transaction to in fact confirm that it you can use more than 3 gift cards if you have more than one person on the reservation? I want to make sure I am clear before I run out buying $50 Southwest gift cards using Swagbucks. I don't want to get stuck with them.

Thank you.

Yes I booked 5 of us using 4 gift cards and a credit card for one reservation. I booked online without problems :)

This is probably a stupid question, but is it possible to know in advance if it's an empty plane or one with thru passengers?
When you are at the airport look for your fl # on the arrival screen. If it is there , there might be thru passengers.
You can also figure out if the flight is continuing or originating on flightaware.com. I can’t tell you how to do this. I just put the fl # in and play with it until I get the info I want. You can find the on time record for your flight for the past month. They show all the fights that are in the air on a map.
However, SWA can switch planes anytime. If you have plane with a stop but no plane change, it can change to plane change.

Last edited:
Our youngest daughter turned 7 in March. We have obviously taken advantage of family boarding in the past. I didn't think about purchasing EBCI because we hadn't done it in the past but about a week ago I added it on. Well, our flight leaves tomorrow at 7am and our boarding positions are B45-B48. I am concerned that it will be the middle seats that are left and we will not be able to sit together. I have heard the flight attendants sometimes ask for volunteers to make room for adults with kids. How do I request that?

Last edited:
Question about EBCI- if I cancel my flight will the cost of EBCI be refunded? Or do I lose that?

What if I change the flight instead of cancelling? Will it automatically go to the new flight?

Question about EBCI- if I cancel my flight will the cost of EBCI be refunded? Or do I lose that?

What if I change the flight instead of cancelling? Will it automatically go to the new flight?

EBCI will carry over to a new flight if you change it. You will lose it with no refund if you cancel.

Our youngest daughter turned 7 in March. We have obviously taken advantage of family boarding in the past. I didn't think about purchasing EBCI because we hadn't done it in the past but about a week ago I added it on. Well, our flight leaves tomorrow at 7am and our boarding positions are B45-B48. I am concerned that it will be the middle seats that are left and we will not be able to sit together. I have heard the flight attendants sometimes ask for volunteers to make room for adults with kids. How do I request that?

I have no personal experience with that boarding position, but from everything I have read here, you should be ok with those numbers. You will likely be in the back of the plane, but you should get 2 seats together.

I know the subject of asking people to move for you often gets hot around here. From what I know, they will not make anyone move for you. Nor should they. You should prepare to be separated, prep your daughter etc, just in case. If you are seriously concerned, SW does offer up positions 1-15 for sale at the gate, if there are spots open. It is like $45 each. But you would certainly get seats together that way.

Last edited:

Thank you.
Paying with more than 3 gift cards when booking for multiple people IS possible. The bolded statement however is your problem. You will be booking separate reservations for each person if you're trying to achieve using more than 3 gift cards. Each person will be on their own reservation - while that may sound needlessly complex, it's actually how most SW pros book all their flights (I always book everybody on their own reservation - for numerous reasons).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!