Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

What boarding number would you say is the difference between a family of 4 sitting together and not? Late B? Early C?

Came back to Philly last night and I've never seen so many pre-boarders and family boarding. I did see one group of 8 people trying to family board -- consisted of 2 parents, 3 middle/high school age kids, 2 grandparents and 1 baby. The grandparents got kicked back to their boarding pass position, the others did the family boarding. Anyway, my group of 3 was able to sit together in row 28 (of 31 I think - it was a 737-800, I believe) and our boarding positions were B 8, B 19 and B 20. (we had 2 itineraries). Our B 8 snagged the spot for us, but I was a bit surprised how far back in the plane we had to go to get it.

I just saw on the news this morning that Southwest will be charging more for EBCI, depending on where the flight is and the popularity of the flight. I thought it was a great deal when it first started, but I don't know how much more I'd be willing to pay for it. My kids are older now and it wouldn't be the worst thing for us to be separated.

Any thoughts on how much the price will go up?

I just saw on the news this morning that Southwest will be charging more for EBCI, depending on where the flight is and the popularity of the flight. I thought it was a great deal when it first started, but I don't know how much more I'd be willing to pay for it. My kids are older now and it wouldn't be the worst thing for us to be separated.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1040502002
According to this article some flights will stay at $15 but others will rise to $20 or $25
I could see MCO being $25 for many flights. With the sheer volume of family boarding on those flights having an A boarding position is key to keeping families with older kids together. We still qualify for family boarding (this is our last year) and I am always shocked at how many groups try to board with the entire extended family. I’ve witnesses multiple families with several small kids send one kid with each set of adults in order to circumvent the rules (ie a family with 3 smaller kids send 1 kid with the grandparents, 1 with the parents, and 1 with the aunt and uncle so now a family of 5 has just gotten 6 adults on the plane early instead of 2). Of course I’v also seen one member of a family trying to save multiple rows of seats which is also ridiculous. Honestly I used to love southwest boarding procedures for loading the plane so quickly but I’m sick of the free for all headed to Orlando. I really wish they could figure out a way to do assigned seating even if it wasn’t assigned until 24 hrs out (when you checked in). I’m just so sick of the whole thing. I’ve paid for EBCI before where we got B numbers and still wound up doing family boarding b/c the family boarding line was so long and a B boarding position didn’t guarantee seats together. I am not looking forward to when my son turns 7. I absolutely will speak up if there are family boarders or EBCI ahead of me who boarded ahead of me are trying to hold seats and there aren’t seats left together for my family.

Honestly? It was a great deal when not too many people used it. I think SWA sees that too many people use it and thus are 1) trying to gain more profit 2) potentially curtailing how many people use it

The complaint "I paid for EBCI and got B whatever" is something I see enough on the Boards and it's sorta no wonder as the going advice, especially with children, is to pay for EBCI to increase odds of more seats being open near each other (though it presents a problem when you board a connecting flight with passengers already on board).

I fall into the category of 1 adult with a child (no longer qualify for family boarding) so I choose to purchase EBCI as soon as I book our flights which is often on release date. It's worth the extra for me after having mid B's one time and almost being separated until a kind couple offered to move so that we could sit together.

I think I'm going to think of EBCI as my 'baggage fee' that I'm not paying when flying other airlines and just budget it into our trips for now.

I do wish SW had a way to distribute family boarding cards based on the number of qualifying children in their party. If a family has 2 children they get 4 family boarding passes. If a parent needs to stay back and board with older children while 1 parent boards with the 2 younger, so be it.

Far too many people abuse the system especially when flying home from Orlando. I don't seem to face as many challenges when flying to Orlando which doesn't really make sense but is just my experience.

I know the subject of asking people to move for you often gets hot around here. From what I know, they will not make anyone move for you. Nor should they. You should prepare to be separated, prep your daughter etc, just in case. If you are seriously concerned, SW does offer up positions 1-15 for sale at the gate, if there are spots open. It is like $45 each. But you would certainly get seats together that way.
On a recent SW flight one of the flight attendants said that the flight would not leave until someone moved for a family. I don't know if this was policy, or just a threat, but I was pretty shocked. It's unfortunate that this would be a situation, especially when there are people that pay to board earlier and get a better chance of a choice of seats.

On a recent SW flight one of the flight attendants said that the flight would not leave until someone moved for a family. I don't know if this was policy, or just a threat, but I was pretty shocked. It's unfortunate that this would be a situation, especially when there are people that pay to board earlier and get a better chance of a choice of seats.

I have read other reports of that too. I think SW leaves a lot of boarding issues up to it’s flight attendants. So it is also not a guarantee that they will intervene to help a family. Since we always pay for EBCI & will still pay the new increased price, I will not be moving voluntarily. If I was forced to move, I would, because ultimately I need to be on that plane and wouldn’t want to risk being thrown off for disobeying a crew instruction. But I would certainly be taking it up with SW management after the flight. And for just the reason you said. I buy EBCI for an earlier boarding position which entitles me to choose my seat earlier. No way should I pay then be forced to move to the least desirable seat on the plane.

Offers of free drinks won’t entice us either, since we don’t drink. I would expect money refunded for both of us at the very least. Luckily, I don’t think that they have to force people to move very often as there is usually someone willing to move.

They did this once for our family (we didn’t know or ask them to, but we were grateful). I have a sibling with special needs who requires constant care; he could absolutely not fly without a member of our family next to him.

This was on our second flight - our initial flight was delayed, so we were the last to board. After we boarded, we found out that the flight attendants had made a similar announcement to the one made on your flight on our behalf.

All that to say - it may not always be as clear-cut as it seems. Ours had nothing to do with our boarding position and everything to do with a delayed flight and a disability.

They did this once for our family (we didn’t know or ask them to, but we were grateful). I have a sibling with special needs who requires constant care; he could absolutely not fly without a member of our family next to him.

This was on our second flight - our initial flight was delayed, so we were the last to board. After we boarded, we found out that the flight attendants had made a similar announcement to the one made on your flight on our behalf.

All that to say - it may not always be as clear-cut as it seems. Ours had nothing to do with our boarding position and everything to do with a delayed flight and a disability.

Please don’t think my post was meant to be condescending - I completely understand. We all come from different walks of life and we don’t know everyone’s background or story. I don’t want this to turn into a debate, I just was posting my experience on a recent flight. It was a shock to us, and if policies are inconsistent it can cause problems for people who have paid to board earlier. In the end it’s the chance we take when booking an airline without assigned seats!

Through April 7th this Thursday. They will announce the release date for the next group of dates that day or the day after

https://www.southwest.com/html/travel-tools/index.html
Thanks I am hoping they go past mid april. although I have noticed that some of their flights or earlier ones are not listed after January 6 usually have a 6 or 7 a.m. that leaves to Orlando and I've been noticing they only have some listed as the first flight out around 11 so I guess they're taking time posting those earlier flights hopefully when they post on this Thursday I'll be able to get a chance to see it.

Thanks I am hoping they go past mid april. although I have noticed that some of their flights or earlier ones are not listed after January 6 usually have a 6 or 7 a.m. that leaves to Orlando and I've been noticing they only have some listed as the first flight out around 11 so I guess they're taking time posting those earlier flights hopefully when they post on this Thursday I'll be able to get a chance to see it.
They will not go past mid April. If you look at the link, it specifically says they will release flights through April 7th. If you're looking for later than then, you will be waiting another month or more. Sorry!

Please don’t think my post was meant to be condescending - I completely understand. We all come from different walks of life and we don’t know everyone’s background or story. I don’t want this to turn into a debate, I just was posting my experience on a recent flight. It was a shock to us, and if policies are inconsistent it can cause problems for people who have paid to board earlier. In the end it’s the chance we take when booking an airline without assigned seats!
Ahh no - I didn’t think it was condescending - I totally understand what you’re saying! I was just trying to present a different perspective, not to make you feel bad or start an argument. I should know better than to respond to something before my brain is awake enough! :thumbsup2

Ahh no - I didn’t think it was condescending - I totally understand what you’re saying! I was just trying to present a different perspective, not to make you feel bad or start an argument. I should know better than to respond to something before my brain is awake enough! :thumbsup2
No worries!! I wasn’t upset or anything, it was just that I’ve seen enough posts to know that sometimes innocent comments come off the wrong way (the joys of the internet lol). I just wanted to clarify what I meant. I know it’s a hot topic, so I didn’t want anyone to misunderstand what I meant! :goodvibes

No worries!! I wasn’t upset or anything, it was just that I’ve seen enough posts to know that sometimes innocent comments come off the wrong way (the joys of the internet lol). I just wanted to clarify what I meant. I know it’s a hot topic, so I didn’t want anyone to misunderstand what I meant! :goodvibes
I'm loving all this respect and kindness on a message board :) If only all threads could behave this way!

I am going to be booking flights on Thursday morning for our late March 2019 trip to WDW. I have tried to find the answer on SW website to no avail. I am looking to purchase the tix using credits from 2 different travel funds conf#s and a credit card for the diff. Is this possible? I would be booking the tickets 2x2 meaning myself and DD17 on one transaction and DH and DD20 on the other transaction (for a variety of reasons) and I book the flights one way not round trip. SO each transaction would have 2 travel funds per person and a single credit card for the remaining balance. Is this doable? Or am I limited to one travel funds per person (which would equal 2 for the transaction) plus a credit card for the balance?

TIA :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter