Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

You do know that there is almost no FA who will tell passengers they can't save seats. Southwest states that they neither have, nor don't have an official policy regarding saving of seats.
Actually, more than once I've seen a FA tell someone who wouldn't move their stuff to move their stuff and let someone sit down. It's in the interest of getting the plane boarded quickly. While it's not their job to police seating, I believe they will do whatever it takes to get the plane boarded quickly. Not looking to debate anyone here.

Wow on the family boarding. We boarded yesterday at MCO and there were way more adults in the family boarding line than there were 6-year-olds and younger. Maybe some adults, older kids, and late teens had A-boarding or some other higher priority and elected to wait for family boarding but it doesn't make sense. I never heard an announcement of the rule for using family boarding but I'm pretty sure there was one when we boarded for our departure flight out of my home airport.

There was one group traveling with an infant in which the others were 3 adults and a young-adult or older teenager. There were plenty of families with kids that looked well over 6 which had no kids that looked under.

We traveled with 4 adults and two kids last summer. My husband and I accompanied the kids on and the grandmas boarded with their tickets later. Going to and from MCO it almost doesn't make sense to do family boarding anymore, so many families are doing it.

You still need to print your boarding pass 24 hours in advance if you are doing family boarding, correct?
You still need to check in 24 hours in advance especially if you want to try for an A boarding group. You can print the actual pass at the airport if you need to. If you don't check in they'll check you in at the airport when you drop off your baggage. You need a boarding pass to get through security.

You still need to print your boarding pass 24 hours in advance if you are doing family boarding, correct?

Even if you plan to do family boarding, you should still check in at 24 hours. There have been reports that there were so many families on a flight that the gate agents did not do family boarding. So you will still want to have as early boarding positions as possible, just in case. And of course as PP said, you need a boarding pass to get them security & to board the plane. So you do have to print one, either at home or the airport.

You still need to check in 24 hours in advance especially if you want to try for an A boarding group. You can print the actual pass at the airport if you need to. If you don't check in they'll check you in at the airport when you drop off your baggage. You need a boarding pass to get through security.
I recommend ALWAYS checking in as early as possible for a flight.

One trip when we were going on our first Disney cruise I was so looking forward to our cruise that I forgot to check in for our flight. I remembered late in the evening less than 12 hours before our flight. I went in at that time and was unable to check in as SW had oversold our flight and all boarding pass numbers had been allocated! Talk about stress!!! Thankfully some people did not show up for our flight so there was still room for us to fly but that’s a stress I would not wish on anyone.

Last edited:
A
Even if you plan to do family boarding, you should still check in at 24 hours. There have been reports that there were so many families on a flight that the gate agents did not do family boarding. So you will still want to have as early boarding positions as possible, just in case. And of course as PP said, you need a boarding pass to get them security & to board the plane. So you do have to print one, either at home or the airport.
I recommend ALWAYS checking in as early as possible for a flight.

One trip when we were going on our first Disney cruise I was so looking forward to our cruise that I forgot to check in for our flight. I remembered late in the evening less than 12 hours before our flight. I went in at that time and was unable to check in as SW had oversold our flight and all hoarding pass numbers had been allocated! Talk about stress!!! Thankfully some people did not show up for our flight so there was still room for us to fly but that’s a stress I would now wish on anyone.

That is what I thought. Thanks you all!!

Just an FYI. We booked our December flights when the schedule came out last week. I just checked the schedule again and our flights dropped $11.00 each way, Wanna Get Away. I changed our flights, receiving a $44.00 credit. I'm gonna keep checking periodically. I don't think $113.00 each way is a bad fare at all, Chicago/Orlando.
However, since I used a $20.00 travel fund credit on the original purchase of the tickets, this latest credit has to be used by that expiration date, v.s. a year from when I bought these tickets. That kinda sucks....cuz I doubt we'll be flying again prior to the expiration. Wonder if I should have just cancelled these flights and rebooked at the new rate? Thoughts?

Just an FYI. We booked our December flights when the schedule came out last week. I just checked the schedule again and our flights dropped $11.00 each way, Wanna Get Away. I changed our flights, receiving a $44.00 credit. I'm gonna keep checking periodically. I don't think $113.00 each way is a bad fare at all, Chicago/Orlando.
If you find your rates lower than you paid, how do you go about getting the lower rates? Do you have to re-book the flight, or do you call SW? I am so sorry to be asking so many questions, but this flying stuff is really foreign to me. lol We always drive.

If you find your rates lower than you paid, how do you go about getting the lower rates? Do you have to re-book the flight, or do you call SW? I am so sorry to be asking so many questions, but this flying stuff is really foreign to me. lol We always drive.
I just went through the "change flight" process. It's very simple. Go to your account and look at your flights, there should be a change/cancel flight option.

Hi!

Is there a time of day for flying where you are more likely to be seated together?

It's just the two of us and I really don't enjoy flying, so I'd like to be seated next to him.

If we fly Southwest we plan to purchase the early bird check in, but maybe first or last flight of day has better chance for us to be together?

Hi!

Is there a time of day for flying where you are more likely to be seated together?

It's just the two of us and I really don't enjoy flying, so I'd like to be seated next to him.

If we fly Southwest we plan to purchase the early bird check in, but maybe first or last flight of day has better chance for us to be together?
I have flown SW all times of the day and night and flights tend to but full or almost full regardless of flight time.

Your best options will be to book as close to flights being released as possible and purchasing EBCI immediately.

I have flown SW all times of the day and night and flights tend to but full or almost full regardless of flight time.

Your best options will be to book as close to flights being released as possible and purchasing EBCI immediately.

oh god, it all sounds so stressful! I'm not good at getting on deals right away, I have horrible luck!
:rotfl:

However, since I used a $20.00 travel fund credit on the original purchase of the tickets, this latest credit has to be used by that expiration date, v.s. a year from when I bought these tickets. That kinda sucks....cuz I doubt we'll be flying again prior to the expiration. Wonder if I should have just cancelled these flights and rebooked at the new rate? Thoughts?
That's about as good as it gets from midway to MCO. I think we managed to get one leg for $99 for our May trip. We are driving in October but were looking at flying and the cheapest is $154 for like 1 flight and others are over $300! If I could find $113 I'd book and make my family do the same. lol

oh god, it all sounds so stressful! I'm not good at getting on deals right away, I have horrible luck!
Just keep checking here and you will know the exact day new flights are supposed to drop. Be ready to jump between 6am and 10am and it will all be good. It's not stressful, just takes being prepared. You can do it! :D

No need to stress. Look at the schedule now and see what times work for you. They keep them very similar all year. Then you can have a plan ready.

ETA: We are currently accepting air reservations through January 5, 2020. On July 10, 2019 we will open our schedule for sale through March 6, 2020. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently

Don't stress. I've never purchased EBCI and I've always been able to sit next to someone I'm travelling with. I do, however, make sure to check in right at the 24-hr mark prior to my flight.

Now I'm not guaranteeing you'll be able to find 2 seats next to each other without EBCI, but the odds of you not finding adjacent seats with it are rather small, I'd say. Don't stress :)

Don't stress. I've never purchased EBCI and I've always been able to sit next to someone I'm travelling with. I do, however, make sure to check in right at the 24-hr mark prior to my flight.

Now I'm not guaranteeing you'll be able to find 2 seats next to each other without EBCI, but the odds of you not finding adjacent seats with it are rather small, I'd say. Don't stress :)

Thank you! :)

I HATE to fly, but usually try to make it into a road trip, but my DH has more limited vacation time so flying saves us a couple of days. I've been on four round trips in the past year or so and all but one were sold out. The non sold out one had a whole 7 seats open. Granted I fly out of Midway/Chicago, and into Orlando, Tampa or Ontario, CA. We always get the EBCI and even when we've been the last couple in the A group we've gotten seats together. This includes when we flew home from Burbank, CA and the gate agent took it upon herself to stop boarding after A1-A15 and let the families all board in the middle of the group. Basically made our A position into a B as there were a ton of families and we still got seats together.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!