Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Crazyhorse

Mouseketeer
Joined
Oct 23, 2007
I know this is a subject that has been discussed over and over, but I'm debating whether to purchase EBCI. I wasn't going to, and now we're a month out from our trip and I'm second guessing myself. It has gotten so expensive & it kills me to spend that much for it. Plus I wonder how much good it will do us to book it so close to our flights. I'm traveling with my two teen daughters, so it's not the end of the world if we get separated, but I know they would greatly prefer to at least sit together, even if I can't get a seat with them. I am contemplating just buying EBCI for them, and having them look for an empty row & take the window and aisle, and hopefully no one will take that middle seat before I board. But since we're only a month from our flight, are we likely to get high B even with ECBI at this point? Flying Hartford to MCO and back, both times on a Thursday, late afternoon departure.
When you check in 24 hours prior, if you get a lousy boarding assignment, you can always upgrade to business select or whatever it's called...A1-15 when you get to the airport...if it's offered for your flights. It does usually cost $10.00 more than EBCI though.
 

scrappinginontario

DIS Veteran
Joined
Nov 7, 2010
I know this is a subject that has been discussed over and over, but I'm debating whether to purchase EBCI. I wasn't going to, and now we're a month out from our trip and I'm second guessing myself. It has gotten so expensive & it kills me to spend that much for it. Plus I wonder how much good it will do us to book it so close to our flights. I'm traveling with my two teen daughters, so it's not the end of the world if we get separated, but I know they would greatly prefer to at least sit together, even if I can't get a seat with them. I am contemplating just buying EBCI for them, and having them look for an empty row & take the window and aisle, and hopefully no one will take that middle seat before I board. But since we're only a month from our flight, are we likely to get high B even with ECBI at this point? Flying Hartford to MCO and back, both times on a Thursday, mid-day departure out of Hartford, late afternoon departure from MCO.
Are you able to be online exactly 24 hours before your departure time? Since you're travelling with teens and only a month out from your flights, if it were me I would choose not to purchase the EBCI if I knew I could be online right at the 24 hour mark. It's a personal decision but the later you book the EBCI the less valuable it becomes.
 

Shannon G

DIS Veteran
Joined
Oct 12, 2001
When you check in 24 hours prior, if you get a lousy boarding assignment, you can always upgrade to business select or whatever it's called...A1-15 when you get to the airport...if it's offered for your flights. It does usually cost $10.00 more than EBCI though.
Good point! I could always just upgrade the girls at that point if we have a high boarding number and there are a lot of families.

Are you able to be online exactly 24 hours before your departure time? Since you're travelling with teens and only a month out from your flights, if it were me I would choose not to purchase the EBCI if I knew I could be online right at the 24 hour mark. It's a personal decision but the later you book the EBCI the less valuable it becomes.
Thanks for confirming - that's where I was leaning, but started to second guess myself. And yes, I always have my phone handy and can check in right at the 24 hour mark.
 
  • SinCityMMAFan

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Mar 15, 2017
    I know this is a subject that has been discussed over and over, but I'm debating whether to purchase EBCI. I wasn't going to, and now we're a month out from our trip and I'm second guessing myself. It has gotten so expensive & it kills me to spend that much for it. Plus I wonder how much good it will do us to book it so close to our flights. I'm traveling with my two teen daughters, so it's not the end of the world if we get separated, but I know they would greatly prefer to at least sit together, even if I can't get a seat with them. I am contemplating just buying EBCI for them, and having them look for an empty row & take the window and aisle, and hopefully no one will take that middle seat before I board. But since we're only a month from our flight, are we likely to get high B even with ECBI at this point? Flying Hartford to MCO and back, both times on a Thursday, mid-day departure out of Hartford, late afternoon departure from MCO.
    Total crapshoot with EBCI. From past experiences I have purchased EBCI a whole 6 months prior to flying and ended up with A50 and then have purchased EBCI 2 months out and ended up with A36. It just depends on how many people have purchased it ahead of you. I would wait until you check in 24 hours in advance and then upgrade to a better boarding position at the airport if sitting together is really a major concern for you. Best wishes!
     
    Joined
    Oct 23, 2015
    Total crapshoot with EBCI. From past experiences I have purchased EBCI a whole 6 months prior to flying and ended up with A50 and then have purchased EBCI 2 months out and ended up with A36. It just depends on how many people have purchased it ahead of you.
    It also depends on how many A-listers are on a given flight and how many people purchased EBCI with Anytime Fare if you've purchased WGA Fare.
     

    SinCityMMAFan

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Mar 15, 2017
    It also depends on how many A-listers are on a given flight and how many people purchased EBCI with Anytime Fare if you've purchased WGA Fare.
    Yup and of course SW can't/won't release that info to you so it's a guessing game.

    I purchased my one way ticket out of Orlando for my next trip in December on the day the flights were released and purchased EBCI curious to see how good of a number I will get. I have never bought tickets on the release date before.
     

    shoreward

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Jun 25, 2014
    The current thought is that the 737 MAX will be flying again by December. If that prediction is accurate, that means continued Southwest cancellations. Southwest has assigned MAX aircraft to lots of fall 2019 flights...perhaps prematurely.

     
  • G719

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Mar 7, 2012
    This is so weird but good. I was actually on twitter chat with Southwest about my inability to access my reservation. She didn’t even have time to do anything and I went back to the app (5 min after trying to access my reservation) and suddenly I can now access it - 2 days exactly minus 30 minutes before my flight. No more error messages (currently). Maybe I will be able to get my boarding passes tomorrow after all.
    My glitch is gone! Just clicked on the trip in the app and no error! Yay! We fly July 30
     

    G719

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Mar 7, 2012
    I'm getting the message for a flight I have in August that I can change it for no cost due to factors beyond their control that may adversely affect my flight. It is a flight on a Thursday out of panama city beach and it's the only flight that day. I can't decide if I should go ahead and move it to Saturday or keep what we have for now and see what happens. The departure time on Saturday is much better than the 7 am departure on Thursday. We would just need to extend the car rental as we are staying at our family's place. I just would like to get home on Thursday to have a few days before back to work.

    Has anyone received this message and the flight been fine? Anyone receive this message and then end up with the flight canceled?
     

    shoreward

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Jun 25, 2014
    I'm getting the message for a flight I have in August that I can change it for no cost due to factors beyond their control that may adversely affect my flight. It is a flight on a Thursday out of panama city beach and it's the only flight that day. I can't decide if I should go ahead and move it to Saturday or keep what we have for now and see what happens. The departure time on Saturday is much better than the 7 am departure on Thursday. We would just need to extend the car rental as we are staying at our family's place. I just would like to get home on Thursday to have a few days before back to work.

    Has anyone received this message and the flight been fine? Anyone receive this message and then end up with the flight canceled?
    I see this message for September flights. Southwest states:

    Even though Southwest® is offering the opportunity to make these changes, the Customer's original flight(s) may operate as scheduled, so changing travel dates and/or flight times is completely voluntary and not required
    I think that Southwest does not know, this far in advance. This is all related to the grounding of MAX aircraft and Southwest needing to swap equipment; if the MAX is not back in the air, there just are not enough aircraft to fly all of the scheduled flights.
     

    Elle23

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Nov 6, 2016
    I see this message for September flights. Southwest states:



    I think that Southwest does not know, this far in advance. This is all related to the grounding of MAX aircraft and Southwest needing to swap equipment; if the MAX is not back in the air, there just are not enough aircraft to fly all of the scheduled flights.
    Where do you see that message for September flights? I have a flight scheduled in mid September on the MAX.
     
  • Elle23

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Nov 6, 2016
    Never mind. I found it.

    I guess I need to change my flight to a non Max flight while I have the opportunity?
     

    Elle23

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Nov 6, 2016
    I’m confused because it is allowing me to switch to another MAX 8 flight. What would be the point of that?
     

    Zo Zo

    At WDW or planning my next trip!
    Joined
    Sep 10, 2007
    I am on two non- Max flights and still got that alert for both of them. I’m not moving anything yet as we have the perfect flights but I’m not entirely confident that they won’t get cancelled. Oye.
     

    Elle23

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Nov 6, 2016
    I am on two non- Max flights and still got that alert for both of them. I’m not moving anything yet as we have the perfect flights but I’m not entirely confident that they won’t get cancelled. Oye.
    I’m just confused.

    Why would you get the alert if you’re not on MAX 8 flights? Why is it allowing me to modify to another MAX 8 flight?

    :scratchin
     

    shoreward

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Jun 25, 2014
    I’m just confused.

    Why would you get the alert if you’re not on MAX 8 flights? Why is it allowing me to modify to another MAX 8 flight?

    :scratchin
    They swap aircraft from one flight to another, for various reasons, including not having enough aircraft being available. The 800 has the same seating capacity as the MAX 8, so some 800 flights could be vulnerable for swap. They usually attribute those flight cancellations to “maintenance issues.”
     

    Elle23

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Nov 6, 2016
    They swap aircraft from one flight to another, for various reasons, including not having enough aircraft being available. The 800 has the same seating capacity as the MAX 8, so some 800 flights could be vulnerable for swap. They usually attribute those flight cancellations to “maintenance issues.”
    So anything “available” has less chance of getting canceled? I guess I’m trying to figure out the benefit of switching flights this far out.
     

    Lsdolphin

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Aug 3, 2013
    Yup and of course SW can't/won't release that info to you so it's a guessing game.

    I purchased my one way ticket out of Orlando for my next trip in December on the day the flights were released and purchased EBCI curious to see how good of a number I will get. I have never bought tickets on the release date before.
    I bought my tickets for my March trip on release day within 5 minutes of the release and purchased the Early Bird at same time. I was shocked when I checked in to find I had A49 leaving BWI and then A47 returning from MCO. Also there were a ton of people preboarding and people boarding of me who were saving seats. I had to go quite away ack to find a window seat.
     

    cmarsh31

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Sep 5, 2015
    Got the letter for one of my 4 August flights. There's a later flight I wanted but was twice as expensive...so I'll be switching as soon as I can today.
     

    PerfessorZ

    DIS Veteran
    Joined
    Sep 25, 2015
    I bought my tickets for my March trip on release day within 5 minutes of the release and purchased the Early Bird at same time. I was shocked when I checked in to find I had A49 leaving BWI and then A47 returning from MCO. Also there were a ton of people preboarding and people boarding of me who were saving seats. I had to go quite away ack to find a window seat.
    Perhaps that flight originated elsewhere, so you had two groups of people purchasing EBCI for that flight? Just taking a stab in the dark - I don’t fly out of BWI, but I know it’s a major hub.
     

    Connect

    Disney News and Updates

    Daily Updates and News




    Top