Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

It is excellent!! Often A1-15 has little/no people so other than the pre-boards (wheelchairs, etc) you will probably be within the first 20 people to enter the plane. Guessing you purchased EBCI. Is this correct?
Yes I did purchase EBCI on a Wanna Get Away Fare. I didn’t realize how good a boarding number it was till you said I might be one of the first 20 people on board. I was really just aiming for the front half of the plane (I like to make a quick getaway after landing due to my anxiety). Even if I’m the 50th person to board, I’m still pleased.
Lastly, when doing check in, it didn’t ask me how many pieces of luggage I wanted to check. Because everyone is entitled to 2 pieces, does SW not need to know?

Yes I did purchase EBCI on a Wanna Get Away Fare. I didn’t realize how good a boarding number it was till you said I might be one of the first 20 people on board. I was really just aiming for the front half of the plane (I like to make a quick getaway after landing due to my anxiety). Even if I’m the 50th person to board, I’m still pleased.
Lastly, when doing check in, it didn’t ask me how many pieces of luggage I wanted to check. Because everyone is entitled to 2 pieces, does SW not need to know?
You will tell them how many pieces of luggage you're checking when you check in at the kiosk tomorrow and print luggage tags. You'll attach those to your checked bags and take them to the counter where they will check your ID, weigh and accept your luggage. If you're using Disney's Magical Express, you'll also want to attach the yellow tags to your bags before giving them to SW.

You will tell them how many pieces of luggage you're checking when you check in at the kiosk tomorrow and print luggage tags. You'll attach those to your checked bags and take them to the counter where they will check your ID, weigh and accept your luggage. If you're using Disney's Magical Express, you'll also want to attach the yellow tags to your bags before giving them to SW.
You’re amazing! Thank you for responding. All that’s left is to wait for 6 am! Thanks again!!

First SW flight tomorrow from MCO to LAS. EBCI worked well, we have positions in the A20s, so don’t need to worry about sitting together. The question I do have is on food for the 5 hour flight - is there anything available to purchase on board or do we need to bring anything we want to eat?

I've never done a 5 hour flight on SW, only 3. All we got were some pretzels and one drink. I know a few people that pick something up in the airport and eat it on the plane. I always bring lots of snacks.

First SW flight tomorrow from MCO to LAS. EBCI worked well, we have positions in the A20s, so don’t need to worry about sitting together. The question I do have is on food for the 5 hour flight - is there anything available to purchase on board or do we need to bring anything we want to eat?
I don’t believe they ever offer food. I would bring it with you. We got pretzels on our short flight and pretzels and ritz bits on our longer flight.

I would bring what you want especially if you get thirsty throughout your flight. They don't have meals and whatnot.

As far as snacks go sometimes I've gotten pretzels as well as the Ritz crackers and sometimes just the Ritz crackers. Flight time doesn't seem to be a factor IME but rather just a particular flight attendants choice. Seems to be more common in the late night/last flight out to give both.

Southwest only sells alcoholic beverages on board. Other beverages are complimentary. The F/As will make an initial snack and beverage sweep through the cabin for beverages and snacks. The snacks are very small pretzel packs and Nabisco 100 calorie packages of snacks. On longer flights, there should be another pass through the cabin, but you can also request more when they pick up trash. If my flight is close to normal meal time, I usually pick up a salad or sandwich at my resort, before heading to the airport, and eat it at the airport, pre-security. As long as the food has no liquids, you can also bring through Security and either eat at the gate or on your flight. If you want to eat onboard, however, it is nice to be considerate and not bring fish (which many are highly allergic to) or a smelly food.

There are a number of places to eat or purchase food at the airport, both on the land side (before getting on the tram) and air side (where the gates are located). If you want your own beverages, they can be purchased air side, or you can bring an empty water bottle and fill it up air side.

If you are used to eating at regular intervals, I suggest bringing your own food/snacks onboard.

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/In-the-Air/Food-for-purchase/td-p/91641

Last edited:

SW does sell some very limited “snack pack” type items. Think small cheese cracker & nut type stuff. Early morning might have a breakfast or granola bar type thing too. There are only about 3 different packs with maybe 3 or 4 items in each pack. They are only on longer flights. Can‘t remember the cost because we have never bought them.

Last edited:
Last week was the first time I flew Southwest. It was just me on this trip and for our next family trip we will be flying Southwest too. I was hoping to do family boarding since my kids have never flow before but found out they are too old. We don't necessarily need to sit together but I want each kid to be with a parent. So my question is first, when I check in 24 hrs in advance will our boarding numbers be in a row/together? Also, with having 6 of us (4 adults and 2 kids) what would the likelihood that we would get an A or early B boarding?

Last week was the first time I flew Southwest. It was just me on this trip and for our next family trip we will be flying Southwest too. I was hoping to do family boarding since my kids have never flow before but found out they are too old. We don't necessarily need to sit together but I want each kid to be with a parent. So my question is first, when I check in 24 hrs in advance will our boarding numbers be in a row/together? Also, with having 6 of us (4 adults and 2 kids) what would the likelihood that we would get an A or early B boarding?
If you don't purchase EBCI, my experience (especially when MCO airport is involved) is that you will probably receive 'B' boarding passes. There has been 2 occasions when I've purchased EBCI and still received B boarding passes.

Your numbers may not be sequential (especially as there are 6 involved) but you may find you have something like B1, B2, B3, B5, B7 and B8. When that has happened to us, we just line up with the person with the highest boarding number. so in the example above we would line up with B8 and allow B4 and B6 to get in line in front of us.

Are all of you on one reservation? If you have 2 reservations there is a far greater chance your numbers will not be sequential as others will be checking in at the same time you are. If that is the case I would recommend using 2 different browsers or computers and attempting to check in both confirmation numbers as close together as possible.

If you definitely want a child to sit with an adult then the best thing to do is purchase EBCI for at least those 4 people. If you choose not to do that then there is no guarantee there will be seats together when you board. Probably yes, but not guaranteed.

If you don't purchase EBCI, my experience (especially when MCO airport is involved) is that you will probably receive 'B' boarding passes. There has been 2 occasions when I've purchased EBCI and still received B boarding passes.

Your numbers may not be sequential (especially as there are 6 involved) but you may find you have something like B1, B2, B3, B5, B7 and B8. When that has happened to us, we just line up with the person with the highest boarding number. so in the example above we would line up with B8 and allow B4 and B6 to get in line in front of us.

Are all of you on one reservation? If you have 2 reservations there is a far greater chance your numbers will not be sequential as others will be checking in at the same time you are. If that is the case I would recommend using 2 different browsers or computers and attempting to check in both confirmation numbers as close together as possible.

If you definitely want a child to sit with an adult then the best thing to do is purchase EBCI for at least those 4 people. If you choose not to do that then there is no guarantee there will be seats together when you board. Probably yes, but not guaranteed.

Thank you this is very helpful. Our flight times are not open yet. just trying to figure everything out before hand. We are not going until next summer. I have just one more questions. We are buying with points or hoping to to buy all the tickets with points. If we can't get them all with the points would it be 2 different reservations then?

Thank you this is very helpful. Our flight times are not open yet. just trying to figure everything out before hand. We are not going until next summer. I have just one more questions. We are buying with points or hoping to to buy all the tickets with points. If we can't get them all with the points would it be 2 different reservations then?
Yes, If you end up buying some tickets with points and others with cash you will have 2 different reservation numbers.

What is working in your favour is that the flights are not open yet so if you purchase both kinds of tickets opening day and add EBCI at that time, your boarding numbers should be quite close together.

In the past I didn't always purchase EBCI until the one time my 6yo and I almost had to sit separately until some kind people offered to change seats. After that I've always purchased it because I feel it shouldn't be someone else's responsibility to have to move if I want to sit with my child. It's important enough to me to budget for and purchase EBCI, and it also provides great peace of mind leading up to our trip!

Yes, If you end up buying some tickets with points and others with cash you will have 2 different reservation numbers.

What is working in your favour is that the flights are not open yet so if you purchase both kinds of tickets opening day and add EBCI at that time, your boarding numbers should be quite close together.

In the past I didn't always purchase EBCI until the one time my 6yo and I almost had to sit separately until some kind people offered to change seats. After that I've always purchased it because I feel it shouldn't be someone else's responsibility to have to move if I want to sit with my child. It's important enough to me to budget for and purchase EBCI, and it also provides great peace of mind leading up to our trip!

One more questions. If some are bought on points and others on cash, if we find a lower fare later on and switch to the cheaper on where more can be bought on points what happens? Will they need to stay separate them? This is all so new. We normally drive but I had to travel for work this year and have points which will make it cheaper. Plus my parents are going which they will fly no matter what.

One more questions. If some are bought on points and others on cash, if we find a lower fare later on and switch to the cheaper on where more can be bought on points what happens? Will they need to stay separate them? This is all so new. We normally drive but I had to travel for work this year and have points which will make it cheaper. Plus my parents are going which they will fly no matter what.

If the price goes down, you can change your cash reservation & get a credit. You won’t get money back unless it is within 24 hours of booking or you bought a refundable ticket. Technically you can cancel the flight & rebook the person with points. But you would end up with a credit that can only be used by that person. And it must be used within one year of the original purchase.

The tickets booked on points can be rebooked & points will be returned to the account they came from. NOTE: if you bought EBCI, it will stick if you change the flight reservation. If you cancel & rebook, the EBCI gets cancelled too & must be repurchased. With no refund of the original purchase, btw. So that money would be lost.

Last edited:
If the price goes down, you can change your cash reservation & get a credit. You won’t get money back unless it is within 24 hours of booking or you bought a refundable ticket. Technically you can cancel the flight & rebook the person with points. But you would end up with a credit that can only be used by that person. And it must be used within one year of the original purchase.

The tickets booked on points can be rebooked & points will be returned to the account they came from. NOTE: if you bought EBCI, it will stick if you change the flight reservation. If you cancel & rebook, the EBCI gets cancelled too & must be repurchased. With no refund of the original purchase, btw. So that money would be lost.

Got it.. Thank you. This thread has been so helpful.

I just read an article that said you have to to actually fly before unused travel funds expire, not just apply them to a future flight before they expire. Is this really the policy? So if I have unused Southwest travel funds that expire Jan 6, 2020. I have to actually use them to fly before Jan 6, 2020, and can't use them for a flight scheduled in March? I always thought you just had to use them before the expiration. Because you can only book at most 6 months in advance, I didn't think it would be an issue.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter