Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I just read an article that said you have to to actually fly before unused travel funds expire, not just apply them to a future flight before they expire. Is this really the policy? So if I have unused Southwest travel funds that expire Jan 6, 2020. I have to actually use them to fly before Jan 6, 2020, and can't use them for a flight scheduled in March? I always thought you just had to use them before the expiration. Because you can only book at most 6 months in advance, I didn't think it would be an issue.
I believe the policy always has been (or at least for quite a long time) that travel must be completed within 1 year of purchase date of the flight that produced the travel credit.

So yes travel in your case must be completed by 1/6/2020.

https://www.southwest.com/flight/travel-funds-search.html

It can really depend on the phone agent from Customer Relations but you can request an extension for the travel funds though $100 IIRC is removed from the overall travel funds available. My mother-in-law did this last year but I know some people have been told no extension.

I've been flying with SW for over 10 years and I believe this has been the case since I started flying with them. It's not uncommon for us to end up with a credit on a flight but it is uncommon to actually be able to use it.

Also (and if I'm not correct, please advise) if you use travel credits towards a new flight, that entire new flight has a 'purchase date' of the date the travel credit funds were purchased?

I.e. If I purchase a flight on Sep 1, 2019 and get a travel credit, that travel must be completed by Sep 1, 2020. When I apply that travel credit to a new flight purchased Jan 1, 2020, if I'm able to get a travel credit for that second flight too, the new travel credit also expires Sep 1, 2020, not Jan 1, 2021. Is this correct?

We are going the end of May and usually book as soon as SW opens up their dates. How do I find out the dates that Southwest opens up for May?

We are going the end of May and usually book as soon as SW opens up their dates. How do I find out the dates that Southwest opens up for May?
You (and others) may find this comment that I post regularly to be of interest;

FYI - Southwest extended their schedule this morning for flights through April 13th, 2020.

Here is my usual Historical Southwest Release Dates (for planning purposes) comment:
  • NEXT RELEASE: 10/30/19 - travel through June 6th, 2020
  • 9/26/19 - travel through 4/13/20
  • 8/15/19 - travel through March 6th, 2020
  • 5/30/19 - travel through January 5th, 2020
  • 3/15/19 - travel through November 2nd, 2019
  • 1/31/19 - travel through October 1st, 2019
  • 11/15/18 - travel through August 5th, 2019
  • 9/27/18 - travel through June 8th, 2019
  • 8/30/18 - travel through April 7th, 2019
  • 6/28/18 - travel through March 6th, 2019
  • 5/31/18 - travel through January 6th, 2019
  • 3/8/18 - travel through November 3rd, 2018
  • 2/15/18 - travel through October 1st, 2018
  • 11/2/17 - travel through August 6th, 2018
  • 8/28/17 - travel through June 1st, 2018
  • 7/27/17 - travel through April 6th, 2018
  • 6/22/17 - travel through March 7th, 2018
  • 5/18/17 - travel through January 7th, 2018
This chart could be useful to approximate when your travel time may become available for upcoming releases, however they don't always follow the exact same pattern (as you can see above) They appear to be tightening the inventory a bit this year vs. prior year's releases.

RELEASE TIMES:
  • The release on 5/30/19 went live at 9:20am.
  • The release on 8/15/19 went live at 10:41am.
  • The release on 9/26/19 went live at 7:30am.
If you want to search back for this post in the future - just search my name and "release". You could also bookmark this comment on the new DIS somehow (or so I heard).

I’ve never booked using cash before (always booked using points). I just had the flight that I paid money for come down in price. I will get about $35 credited to me.
Is it possible to use this $35 to pay the $5.60 tax that I pay when booking on points? Or does it have to be used solely to purchase a cash ticket?
If it is only used to purchase a cash ticket, does it need to cover the cost of the entire ticket or can I pay using half cash half travel funds?

I’ve never booked using cash before (always booked using points). I just had the flight that I paid money for come down in price. I will get about $35 credited to me.
Is it possible to use this $35 to pay the $5.60 tax that I pay when booking on points? Or does it have to be used solely to purchase a cash ticket?
If it is only used to purchase a cash ticket, does it need to cover the cost of the entire ticket or can I pay using half cash half travel funds?
Has to be for a new flight, completed travel within 1 year of original date of purchase. You can pay partially with travel funds and the balance in cash.

You cannot use travel funds (credits) to pay for the $5.60 security fee or EBCI. Travel funds can only be used to pay for actual airfare.

Steve

Deleting post because asked and answered above but couldn’t read at first bc of the insane redirect ads.

Thank you both for your answers!

Last edited:
Thanks! I thought I read that previously but never really paid attention since I haven’t used cash.
Is it possible to pay with part travel funds and the rest cash or points?

Yes. You can use multiple payment methods in one purchase (up to 4, I think - though it may be only 3 now - they've changed it so many times over the years that I don't remember the current number). I could be wrong, but I think you can only use a max of 2 flight credits per transaction.

Something to keep in mind: the credit is tied to the 6 character confirmation number of three flight that generated the credit. DO NOT lose that number, or you will not be able to use the credit. Credits are not stored in your account, and you can only see or use the credit if you know that confirmation number. Write it down somewhere and put it somewhere where you can get to it. I keep a note on my phone with the various credits and their expiration dates. That way I have ready access to it all.

Oh, and if the price drops again, you can get another credit for the second reduction. But this is where the limit on the number of payment methods may get you - each credit (even if they are from the same flight) is a separate item, so it's possible that you may not be able to use all your credits to pay on another flight.

Steve

Yes. You can use multiple payment methods in one purchase (up to 4, I think - though it may be only 3 now - they've changed it so many times over the years that I don't remember the current number). I could be wrong, but I think you can only use a max of 2 flight credits per transaction.

Something to keep in mind: the credit is tied to the 6 character confirmation number of three flight that generated the credit. DO NOT lose that number, or you will not be able to use the credit. Credits are not stored in your account, and you can only see or use the credit if you know that confirmation number. Write it down somewhere and put it somewhere where you can get to it. I keep a note on my phone with the various credits and their expiration dates. That way I have ready access to it all.

Oh, and if the price drops again, you can get another credit for the second reduction. But this is where the limit on the number of payment methods may get you - each credit (even if they are from the same flight) is a separate item, so it's possible that you may not be able to use all your credits to pay on another flight.

Steve
The way to work around multiple credits is to book a flight (refundable, if possible, meaning either Senior, BS, or Anytime fare) using the maximum number of credits; of course, keep in mind that when you combine credits with different expiration dates, all credits applied will take on the expiration date of the oldest credit. So, for instance, a credit from 30 days ago will expire in 2 months, if combined with a credit from 10 months ago. After combining credits through a new booking, cancel that booking, saving the confirmation number. Then, make a new reservation, applying the single credit from the booking just cancelled + another credit you wish to apply. This process will allow the use of multiple credits, but with the warning that all credits will take on the expiration date of the oldest credit used in this process. By booking refundable fares in this process, any extra $$ paid on the reservation should be refundable, as long as you request a refund from the drop-down menu during the cancellation process.

The way to work around multiple credits is to book a flight (refundable, if possible, meaning either Senior, BS, or Anytime fare) using the maximum number of credits; of course, keep in mind that when you combine credits with different expiration dates, all credits applied will take on the expiration date of the oldest credit. So, for instance, a credit from 30 days ago will expire in 2 months, if combined with a credit from 10 months ago. After combining credits through a new booking, cancel that booking, saving the confirmation number. Then, make a new reservation, applying the single credit from the booking just cancelled + another credit you wish to apply. This process will allow the use of multiple credits, but with the warning that all credits will take on the expiration date of the oldest credit used in this process. By booking refundable fares in this process, any extra $$ paid on the reservation should be refundable, as long as you request a refund from the drop-down menu during the cancellation process.

Yes, this does (usually) get around the multiple credit issue, but it is a pretty convoluted process - particularly for someone unfamiliar with the whole travel funds concept/restrictions in the first place.

Steve

Steve
Yes, this does (usually) get around the multiple credit issue, but it is a pretty convoluted process - particularly for someone unfamiliar with the whole travel funds concept/restrictions in the first place.

Steve
Thank you for the great info! I had no idea about the confirmation number either- good info to know!

This is really annoying...I got a SWA sale email yesterday so checked my Jan-Feb dates and sure enough fare returning was lower. However when I went and tried to “change my flight” it showed $0 difference. So I guess if I want a credit and to get lower fare I would have to go and cancel my first flight and then buy it again...

No discernible patterns thus far. That’s the maddening thing about these parties, too. Someone may go on a Friday and experience very low crowds, and another person may go on a Tuesday and experience crazy crowds.
This is really annoying...I got a SWA sale email yesterday so checked my Jan-Feb dates and sure enough fare returning was lower. However when I went and tried to “change my flight” it showed $0 difference. So I guess if I want a credit and to get lower fare I would have to go and cancel my first flight and then buy it again...
This shouldn’t be the case. If the date is lower it should show a negative number.

One thing to check, are you looking for lower fares with the same number of tickets as on your reservation? E.g. if your reservation is for 3 people, be sure to check flight prices for 3 people as the number available at the lower price might be less than the number if people in the reservation you are trying to change.

If you’re doing this and it still shows $0, possibly call SW?

Note, if you have purchased EBCI for your flight and cancel it, this money is lost. You cannot transfer the EBCI if you cancel and rebook.

TWO MAJOR SOUTHWEST ANNOUNCEMENTS TODAY:

POINTS EXPIRATION POLICY

Beginning October 17, 2019 Southwest Rapid Rewards points will never expire

SOUTHWEST COMPANION PASS:
Southwest Announced a major change today for 2020 for the SW Companion Pass:

Beginning January 1, 2020 the points required to earn a Companion Pass increases from 110,000 to 125,000.

Unchanged: A Companion Pass will continue to be valid for the remainder of the year you earned it, plus the entire following calendar year.

Also Unchanged: You can still qualify for a CP by by flying 100 qualifying one-way flights.

These changes DO NOT affect those who earned a CP in 2019 or are attemping to earn a CP prior to 12/31/19 (which would be good through the end of 2020)

Official Announcement Here

POINTS EXPIRATION POLICY

Beginning January 1, 2020 the points required to earn a Companion Pass increases from 110,000 to 125,000.

Unchanged: A Companion Pass will continue to be valid for the remainder of the year you earned it, plus the entire following calendar year.

Also Unchanged: You can still qualify for a CP by by flying 100 qualifying one-way flights.

These changes DO NOT affect those who earned a CP in 2019 or are attemping to earn a CP prior to 12/31/19 (which would be good through the end of 2020)

You beat me to the Companion Pass thing lol. Glad we were able to make usage out of it when we had it. I'm guessing they saw a larger than wanted uptick in people qualifying for Companion Pass.

I didn't hear about the SWA RR PTS not expiring..that's actually quite nice and now mimics the other airline, Delta, that we have flown from time to time in recent enough years.

Another change I heard about last week or this week can't remember is they are eliminating Senior Fares effective December 11, 2019: https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/unique-travel-needs/seniors/index.html I believe that on average the refundable fare was the main benefit to that because cost-wise WGA Fares were often lower.

POINTS EXPIRATION POLICY

Got the email this morning. Very happy about points not expiring!

Can some one explain the companion pass to me? The account is in my name. Will I be able to get the tickets for my husband and kids on the same account?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!