Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I see they bumped out the next set of flight bookings from February to March:

We are currently accepting air reservations through August 10, 2020. On March 12, 2020 we will open our schedule for sale through October 31, 2020. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.
This has to be at least partially related to the MAX8 scenario.

We are currently accepting air reservations through August 10, 2020. On March 12, 2020 we will open our schedule for sale through October 31, 2020. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.
Thanks for the update. This information is helpful for our family as we haven’t been able to determine the actual dates of our trip yet as the school system isn’t sure what date the kids will return after summer break. They normally go back the Monday after Labour Day but doing so this year will give them a 10 week summer rather than the normal 9 weeks.

I currently have 2 different trips booked because of this. Bumping back the date we can purchase flights works in our favour.

This change had to just happen yesterday afternoon. I checked the SW website earlier in the day & it still said Feb 13. I work part time & like to arrange my schedule so I’ll be off on the day I can book our flights. Thanks for posting, now I have to make sure I’m off that day.

American Airlines just pulled the MAX aircraft from their schedules, through 06.03.2020. United previously removed the MAX from their schedules, through 06.04.2020.

Southwest won't be far behind in doing the same, IMO.

Can someone remind me what has happened in the past when SW has removed the Max 8 from their flight schedule? I was thinking some people were allowed to modify existing flights even if they weren't directly affected by the Max 8. Is that right or am I dreaming?

Can someone remind me what has happened in the past when SW has removed the Max 8 from their flight schedule? I was thinking some people were allowed to modify existing flights even if they weren't directly affected by the Max 8. Is that right or am I dreaming?
That is correct. Just keep checking your reservation. There should be a red banner displayed if you are being offered the option to change your flight.

I have a question about the SW credit cards...if this should be in another forum, just let me know!
I've had the SW Visas in the past, and was able to have 2 different account types at the same time (like Plus and Premier) and earn the sign-up bonus for both. It's been a couple of years and I wanted to do that again.
I applied for the Plus and was approved, received card, all good to go.
I applied for a second card type a month-6weeks later and was declined and the letter said it was because I already had a SW card and referenced the last 4 numbers on my recently received Plus card.

Did something change with their policies? Does anyone know what the new ones are?
Thanks in advance for the help!

I have a question about the SW credit cards...if this should be in another forum, just let me know!
I've had the SW Visas in the past, and was able to have 2 different account types at the same time (like Plus and Premier) and earn the sign-up bonus for both. It's been a couple of years and I wanted to do that again.
I applied for the Plus and was approved, received card, all good to go.
I applied for a second card type a month-6weeks later and was declined and the letter said it was because I already had a SW card and referenced the last 4 numbers on my recently received Plus card.

Did something change with their policies? Does anyone know what the new ones are?
Thanks in advance for the help!
Yes, this did change. The only exception is that you can have a SW Business Visa along with another SW Visa.

First time SW flyer here (well first time in 15 years and I don't remember it then) with a few questions:
1. My mom needs assistance getting onto the plane, so we plan on letting them know at the gate. We're led to believe this means we'll be able to board between groups A and B. What is very important for us (for medical reasons) is that two of us need to sit together, should we able to get two seats together? We don't mind paying more if we need to make sure of this, but we also don't want to pay if we don't need to. Should we pay to check in early or should we be okay?
2. Someone in our party will need a seat extender to make it a more comfortable journey. Does Southwest provide these, or is it something we should invest in ahead of time?

Thank you!!

First time SW flyer here (well first time in 15 years and I don't remember it then) with a few questions:
1. My mom needs assistance getting onto the plane, so we plan on letting them know at the gate. We're led to believe this means we'll be able to board between groups A and B. What is very important for us (for medical reasons) is that two of us need to sit together, should we able to get two seats together? We don't mind paying more if we need to make sure of this, but we also don't want to pay if we don't need to. Should we pay to check in early or should we be okay?
2. Someone in our party will need a seat extender to make it a more comfortable journey. Does Southwest provide these, or is it something we should invest in ahead of time?

Thank you!!

Assistance Boarding: https://www.southwest.com/html/cust...el-needs/customers-with-disabilities-pol.html

Customers of size:
https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/extra-seat/index-pol.html

Thank you!!

Your mother will likely qualify for pre-boarding, which takes place before the A group.

Thank you!!
I can help with this one... a seatbelt extender and an extra seat are 2 different things.
If you just need an extender, you can ask the flight attendant when you board and they can bring you one. DH used one for several years without needing an extra seat. (when we traveled when the kids were little, he was over their seat just a tad, but they didn't care).

An extra seat is something else entirely. I just recently started arranging for one for DH. You can ask at the gate...but DH finds that to be embarrassing...especially since not all the counter and gate agents know what to do. It can also get complicated if your flight is sold out. The link that scrappinginontario provided will give you all of the options.
We prefer to book the extra seat in advance over the phone, which does require paying upfront for the seat, but once the travel is completed, you can call customer service and they will refund the cost back to the card on which you paid for it** (this is only done when the funds are used for a designated extra seat, unlike their normal travel funds policy).
This also helps Southwest because when they know in advance, it helps them plan for how many passengers they can actually accommodate.
If you do the pre-purchase option, when you check in at the counter (or gate if you aren't checking luggage) they will give you pre-board credentials, which have you board before the A group. ***note that when you pre-board, there are restrictions on where you can sit (no emergency exit rows, and a few other things)

Hope that helps some!

We are looking at buying some points so that all of our tickets will be bought with points. We see that there is a 30% discount right now on buying points. Is this a deal that they do often?

We are looking at buying some points so that all of our tickets will be bought with points. We see that there is a 30% discount right now on buying points. Is this a deal that they do often?
Be sure to do the calculations carefully. I have priced out buying points with various sales and incentives and normally it’s not worth the cost.

Free flight changes due to the Max 8 situation are live again. Dates covered seem to be at least April 14 through end of May or early June. The actual advisory isn’t posted yet, but the notice comes up when you go to change a flight. Still plus or minus 14 days from original dates, and must be original cities (or co-terminals like BWI/DCA/IAD).

I just changed some cheap flights the week after Easter to arriving the Thursday before Easter and departing the Monday after. So I guess the bunny will be visiting the kids at Disney this year.

Does anyone know how long they allow the free changes?
It's usually available for a few days after they post the announcement on the website about the MAX8 aircraft being removed for a new time frame. As of this time, that notice has not yet been posted. However, the site is down overnight for "scheduled maintenance," and that may be part of it.
Free flight changes due to the Max 8 situation are live again. Dates covered seem to be at least April 14 through end of May or early June. The actual advisory isn’t posted yet, but the notice comes up when you go to change a flight. Still plus or minus 14 days from original dates, and must be original cities (or co-terminals like BWI/DCA/IAD).
Thanks for the heads-up. It's funny, as I just checked my reservations a couple of hours before you posted, and the change offer was not there.

I received the notice that I can change our flights, but when looking at the schedule, our flight times are still listed and our flights are still the same as what we booked. So does this mean our flights won't be changed by Southwest in the future? Would the only reason to change flights would be if we aren't happy with the times we've already booked, not because Southwest might cancel our flights? One flight I might possibly want to change to says only 3 available at the Wanna Get Away fare. We would need 4 tickets, so could I still change to this flight? Or what if the Wanna Get Away fare is sold out, can you still change to that flight without paying more for it?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!