Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I have a question about travel funds. A flight of ours has dropped in price the last few weeks, and since they were WGA fares, I got credit for the difference when I called. If I were to book another flight within the year window using this credit, but later had to cancel for another flight that falls outside of the year window, would I lose the travel funds or would my year window start all over? We haven't nailed down our travel just yet for the next year so things may change.
You have one year from the original ticketing date to use the funds and travel has to be completed by that date...the expiration date does not reset by making a new booking. Also if you mix funds the expiration date will still be that one year date.

You have one year from the original ticketing date to use the funds and travel has to be completed by that date...the expiration date does not reset by making a new booking. Also if you mix funds the expiration date will still be that one year date.

I was 90% sure of that too, just wanted to make sure. Thanks

...Also if you mix funds the expiration date will still be that one year date.

This is not entirely correct. If you use credits from two or more flights and later cancel or change that new flight, the expiration date(s) of all the credits used will be changed to the expiration date of the credit that expires the soonest.

Steve

This is not entirely correct. If you use credits from two or more flights and later cancel or change that new flight, the expiration date(s) of all the credits used will be changed to the expiration date of the credit that expires the soonest.

Steve
You are correct, I was referring to mixing funds ie travel funds & cash. If you use $50 in travel funds & $200 in new money-the entire $250 now takes on that 1 year expiration date of the travel fund. Many people do not realize this and get burned.

You are correct, I was referring to mixing funds ie travel funds & cash. If you use $50 in travel funds & $200 in new money-the entire $250 now takes on that 1 year expiration date of the travel fund. Many people do not realize this and get burned.

I have to admit I didn't know this little bit myself. We are considering a trip that rides the line right at that year mark and this makes me want to be a little more sure of our dates before I book.

I have to admit I didn't know this little bit myself. We are considering a trip that rides the line right at that year mark and this makes me want to be a little more sure of our dates before I book.

You might want to book one way tickets when using your travel funds. Use all your funds on your one ticket if you can. Then when you book the second ticket, that money won‘t be affected by the early expiration date if your credits. Any funds you get from that ticket will have a different expiration date. I like to use the credit on the less expensive leg. Then if the price goes down on the more expensive leg, I can get a new credit with a new expiration date.

Last edited:

Ah! I misunderstood what you were saying. And you are correct. Using a small credit left over from a trip 6 months ago may not be the wisest move.

Steve

UPDATED: Moved this to its own thread.

Not sure if I should post within this thread or on its own in the forum. I think it should be here since it's about SW.

It's been about a decade since we last traveled to WDW via air as a family. DH uses an ECV and we've been driving. I'm a bit stale with my knowledge with regard to air travel. So, here goes:

1) Travel will be in Dec 2020 just prior to Christmas. Should I wait for SW fares for that time period or book on other airlines if the flights are non stop and reasonable with fares and luggage fees?

2) Assuming I wait until SW releases their fares for Dec, I'm not sure what's the best approach for our situation. DH needs to use his ECV in the airport to get to the gate. He cannot stand or walk for long or much of a distance. With his mobility issues and needing to check the ECV at the gate, where does that put him in boarding groups?

3) We are a group of 4, DH and myself, DS and his GF. Will I be able to board with my husband? How do I best handle DS and his GF? Do I pay for EBCI for all of us?

4) DH is a big man, not due to weight, but 6'4" with broad shoulders. Should I be proactive and purchase additional seat for him? I saw where I can then ask SW to credit the cost of that afterwards?

5) DD and her BF will travel SW from a different airport. Am I correct in thinking anything that's recommended for DS and GF to do on our flight should be done for them on theirs?

Any information you can provide would be much appreciated. If this is better in it's own thread, let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if a points booking with EBCI added will have the EBCI cost refunded, if the reservation is cancelled?

Subscribing...interested in when the rest of SW's 2020 schedule will be released.
The remainder of 2020 flights will be released over a couple of releases. The next release is currently scheduled for March 12, 2020 and those flights should take us though October 31, 2020.

Based on the great information gathered by @SouthFayetteFan, I would anticipate the remainder of 2020 flights to be released in May or June of this year.

FYI - Southwest extended their schedule this morning for flights through August 10h, 2020.

Here is my usual Historical Southwest Release Dates (for planning purposes) comment:
  • NEXT RELEASE: 3/12/20 - travel through October 7th, 2020
  • 12/11/19 - travel through August 10th, 2020
  • 10/30/19 - travel through June 6th, 2020
  • 9/26/19 - travel through April 13th, 2020
  • 8/15/19 - travel through March 6th, 2020
  • 5/30/19 - travel through January 5th, 2020
  • 3/15/19 - travel through November 2nd, 2019
  • 1/31/19 - travel through October 1st, 2019
  • 11/15/18 - travel through August 5th, 2019
  • 9/27/18 - travel through June 8th, 2019
  • 8/30/18 - travel through April 7th, 2019
  • 6/28/18 - travel through March 6th, 2019
  • 5/31/18 - travel through January 6th, 2019
  • 3/8/18 - travel through November 3rd, 2018
  • 2/15/18 - travel through October 1st, 2018
  • 11/2/17 - travel through August 6th, 2018
  • 8/28/17 - travel through June 1st, 2018
  • 7/27/17 - travel through April 6th, 2018
  • 6/22/17 - travel through March 7th, 2018
  • 5/18/17 - travel through January 7th, 2018
This chart could be useful to approximate when your travel time may become available for upcoming releases, however they don't always follow the exact same pattern (as you can see above) They appear to be tightening the inventory a bit this year vs. prior year's releases.

RELEASE TIMES:
  • The release on 12/11/19 went live at 9:10am.
  • The release on 10/30/19 went live at 7:15am.
  • The release on 9/26/19 went live at 7:30am.
  • The release on 8/15/19 went live at 10:41am.
  • The release on 5/30/19 went live at 9:20am.
If you want to search back for this post in the future - just search my name and "release".

Last edited:
The remainder of 2020 flights will be released over a couple of releases. The next release is currently scheduled for March 12, 2020 and those flights should take us though October 31, 2020.

Based on the great information gathered by @SouthFayetteFan, I would anticipate the remainder of 2020 flights to be released in May or June of this year.
Thanks so much! Looking for Fall Break in October so the Feb 13th date would get us there and then wait for March to get us home.

Except they won't be releasing their next set of dates until MARCH 12. The chart of data posted has the wrong date because SW recently changed it to MARCH 12. :)
Edited to add: You can keep track of the upcoming release date on this page: https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-schedules/index.html?clk=GFOOTER-FLY-FLTSCHEDULES
Yeah - I don’t go to all the effort to re-post that each time the schedule changes. As long as somebody has reported it here. Which I believe it was reported a week or two ago.

I see they bumped out the next set of flight bookings from February to March:

We are currently accepting air reservations through August 10, 2020. On March 12, 2020 we will open our schedule for sale through October 31, 2020. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.
FYI @BillFromCT shared this on Jan 13th. 😊

For those that truly care about next release I’d be reading all comments on this thread or checking yourself on the southwest webpage. 😃

Yeah - I don’t go to all the effort to re-post that each time the schedule changes. As long as somebody has reported it here. Which I believe it was reported a week or two ago.
No problem at all. They change the date frequently and you have WAY more important things to keep track of (the chart! I'm suddenly picturing the aliens from Toy Story, btw).

No problem at all. They change the date frequently and you have WAY more important things to keep track of (the chart! I'm suddenly picturing the aliens from Toy Story, btw).
Oooooh the chart decides who will stay and who will board!!! (I think you just inspired tonight’s post!!!)

EDIT: for those who are lost, this has nothing to do with SW. It’s about RotR at WDW LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!