Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I've seen a ton of families in line before, and no, I've never seem them suspend family boarding. The time I'm thinking of is the only time I purchased an "A" upgrade at the desk prior to flight... lots and lots of kids and families flying to Orlando.

just curious, has SW ever suspended family boarding due to too many families in line?
No, they would never do this as families who have young children and know they will board after the A’s may not rush to check-in at the 24 hour mark. It would be a huge disadvantage if suddenly they had families board with their boarding groups.

I haven’t seen it myself, but there have definitely been posts from people who have seen SW not do family boarding. Apparently it is pretty rare, but when almost all of the plane qualifies, the gate agents have done it. Seems more fair in that case to make folks line up in order instead of just who gets in line first. Which is why everyone should still check in at 24 hours, just in case.

Last edited:

I have seen them turn away extended family during the boarding process (flight leaving Orlando). Several aunts, uncles and grandma and grandpa walked away unhappy about going back to their boarding group but it was fair as the flight was completely full.

I have seen them turn away extended family during the boarding process (flight leaving Orlando). Several aunts, uncles and grandma and grandpa walked away unhappy about going back to their boarding group but it was fair as the flight was completely full.
Um, yeah! The point of family boarding is so little kids aren’t sitting with strangers, not to allow a whole family reunion to skip the line.

I have seen SW suspend family boarding on more than one occasion. All in Orlando, and all within the first couple of years after they began doing the family boarding. Back then they didn't have much in the way of policy limiting the number of family members could board with a child, and the only recourse when they had 65 people lined up for family boarding was to not do it at all.

Steve

Back in the days when family Boarding included Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins I saw a full flight where the Ops Agent announced that for those 6 who aren't in Family Boarding you can board 1st. However I've never seen nor heard of them cancelling Family Boarding under the new policy

Here's your friendly reminder that Southwest Airlines next schedule release is expected to occur THURSDAY, March 12th!. For those planning to snag flights, set those calendar reminders so you don't forget!

I'm sharing this again now because it previously was listed as February 13th (one week from today) but was pushed back a month. Stay posted as this date is subject to change!
  • Currently SW is offering flights through 8/10/20 and this next release will take their schedule out to 10/31/20. I'll try to post additional reminders as the date draws nearer.
For those that care about "release timing" it's been all over the board recently (all times Eastern):
  • The release on 12/11/19 went live at 9:10am.
  • The release on 10/30/19 went live at 7:15am.
  • The release on 9/26/19 went live at 7:30am.
  • The release on 8/15/19 went live at 10:41am.
  • The release on 5/30/19 went live at 9:20am.

Usually sw tickets buffalo to orlando late August are 80-140. I am looking at July and August on southwest and JetBlue and they are all 200+
Each year I book as soon as they are released and get a good price.
how have prices been this year when they release dates? Double the norm or you can still get a good deal?

Usually sw tickets buffalo to orlando late August are 80-140. I am looking at July and August on southwest and JetBlue and they are all 200+
how have prices been this year when they release dates? Double the norm or you can still get a good deal?
Any answer to this question is purely anecdotal and will not provide any relevant info to your specific trip and dates.

I fly that route fairly often and I would be very shocked if that was the best price for late August. I personally wouldn’t book if it was more than $125-$150 but everybody has their own risk tolerance. I just flew down MLK weekend (leading into Regents week) and our flight down kept decreasing in price, it ended up being less than $100 one way. I have found lately that for non-peak season prices usually go down a few weeks after release. Of course past experience doesn’t guarantee future results, but that seems very high to me for that time of year.

I think it depends what day & flight you want. I flew from Buffalo 4 Xs last year. We fly Sat- Sat, 1st nonstop down & last nonstop back, I would say we paid $120s or higher each way. I haven’t seen less than $100 for our flights in awhile.

I think it depends what day & flight you want. I flew from Buffalo 4 Xs last year. We fly Sat- Sat, 1st nonstop down & last nonstop back, I would say we paid $120s or higher each way. I haven’t seen less than $100 for our flights in awhile.
I understand what OP is saying. Our non-stop flights from BUF-MCO last Sep were $94 one way snd $106 the other. I’m also hoping for (but not expecting) good prices on flights when they release next month.

I fly that route fairly often and I would be very shocked if that was the best price for late August. I personally wouldn’t book if it was more than $125-$150 but everybody has their own risk tolerance. I just flew down MLK weekend (leading into Regents week) and our flight down kept decreasing in price, it ended up being less than $100 one way. I have found lately that for non-peak season prices usually go down a few weeks after release. Of course past experience doesn’t guarantee future results, but that seems very high to me for that time of year.

This is so stressful. I'm flying out of BDL, where the only direct flights are SW, JB, Spirit and (very limited) Frontier. My departure is booked on SW for $89 (though at an ungodly 5am). My return date (non-peak Tuesday in May) is now showing $164! It is literally less expensive to stay another night at a value and go back the next day on Jet Blue.

Then, um, stay over another night at a Value and fly home the next day on jetBlue?
That’s my plan. I booked AS Movies this morning.

I’ve always thought of JB and SW as being similar airlines, and other times when I’ve looked the prices have been fairly comparable. But now I’m seeing SW at double the price of JB for the same route and similar times. Not sure what’s going on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter