Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

This is such a petty issue and I am not going to pursue it further, but I need you all to either validate or correct me. If wrong, I will try to take it like a big girl. :teeth:

I booked a flight for August using a Luv voucher with $71. on it. The flight was a total of $92.98, with $14.60 being the 911 security/passenger facility charge. Later on I got a red banner and changed it to another time for the same day at no extra cost. A few days later I cancelled the reservation, but my travel funds are for the entire amount of the fare ($92.98) and has been like that for over a month. Yesterday, I sent an email nicely requesting refund of the $14.60 in taxes back to the credit card used for payment. Instead, I was told:

We recognize that events and plans have been changed or canceled, and that recent travel restrictions have caused many of our Customers to postpone or cancel their travel. In this case, because you purchased a nonrefundable ticket, we are unable to honor your request for a refund a portion of the fare cost.

Again, I am very pleased with SW during these crazy times, but is this correct? I thought they always had to refund taxes/fees to the form of payment - which in this case was my credit card.

I see on the Travel Funds page (https://www.southwest.com/flight/travel-funds-search.html) that they consider all those components (base fare + taxes + fees) part of the fund creation: "If you cancel your reservation at least 10 minutes prior to departure, the fare paid for the unused ticket (inducing taxes, security fees, and Passenger Facility Charges) will be applied as travel funds toward the purchase of future travel on Southwest."

So, I don't think it matters whether the payment was all "real money" or voucher + credit card; they consider the "fare paid" to include all those pieces.

That said, I can also see why you asked about it -- in my experience, Southwest may go ahead and give you some kind of recourse anyway. So it makes sense to ask.

I'm wondering if SW is having challenges as more and more people are subject to quarantines so unable to travel? As it stands, if we were to continue with our September trip we would have to quarantine for 2 weeks when we arrive in FL as we're flying out of Buffalo and then 2 weeks when we get home. As that happens to more and more people (if more quarantine orders are put in place), the airlines are going to be hurting as even less people can travel.

Add to this that numbers are spiking in many places in the US, I can see many people choosing to stay home rather than travel right now which would mean airlines might offer flights at super low prices just hoping to have people on their flights.

I see on the Travel Funds page (https://www.southwest.com/flight/travel-funds-search.html) that they consider all those components (base fare + taxes + fees) part of the fund creation: "If you cancel your reservation at least 10 minutes prior to departure, the fare paid for the unused ticket (inducing taxes, security fees, and Passenger Facility Charges) will be applied as travel funds toward the purchase of future travel on Southwest."

Yeesh, it certainly helps to read everything, doesn't it? :headache: Thanks to everyone for setting me straight.

We have flights booked PVD-MCO over Thanksgiving. I've been monitoring the flights and today did notice an earlier flight home had dropped (I wanted to switch our late flight home to the earlier one). Other than that flight everything else has been pretty consistent.

OK, the flights from PHL <--> MCO for our dates in late July are back up to what they were over $100, so maybe it was a momentary supply/demand thing or whatever.

Most here know to do this but by way of reminder: Check your emails regularly for changes to your flight schedule. This applies to all airlines, not only SW. I just checked and SW changed our flight to take off 2 hours later.

Most here know to do this but by way of reminder: Check your emails regularly for changes to your flight schedule. This applies to all airlines, not only SW. I just checked and SW changed our flight to take off 2 hours later.

Last week I had a 1 hour layover at Midway turn into a 4 1/2 hour layover. I called and was able to change through Denver.

Since RAC may not be operating when we go in September, does anyone know if SW has SkyCap outside on the ticketing level? We always use them at our home airport and they are much easier than going inside and dealing with getting boarding pass and turning in luggage.

Since RAC may not be operating when we go in September, does anyone know if SW has SkyCap outside on the ticketing level? We always use them at our home airport and they are much easier than going inside and dealing with getting boarding pass and turning in luggage.
From MCO's website:
Southwest Airlines
Terminal: A
Security Checkpoint: 70-129 Gates: 100-129
Curbside Check-In: Yes
Phone: 800-435-9792

Southwest is saying their latest info has no curbside check-in currently available at MCO, based on info received within the last month..
Also of note, from Southwest:
All bags must be checked 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/products/bagdrop.html

Last edited:
Just confirmed that Southwest is currently not providing curbside check-in at MCO, until further notice. With no bag drop at Disney resorts, it’s probably going to be a good idea to allow a little extra time at MCO, if needing to check bags.

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/products/bagdrop.html
Ok, reading this, where is the "Express Bag Drop Kiosk" at MCO?

(we haven't checked bags in years, we always make do with our 21" x 14" carry ons - but this year we're chekcing some bags with dry foods in them)

It's at the ticket counter. There are kiosks there. You scan your boarding pass, it prints out the tags, you put the tags on your luggage and you give your luggage to the Southwest Agent nearby. Very simple.

Not as convenient as RAC, as you still have to schlep your bags to the SW counter area, but it does reduce the amount of time you spend waiting in line to drop off your bags.

Steve

It's at the ticket counter. There are kiosks there. You scan your boarding pass, it prints out the tags, you put the tags on your luggage and you give your luggage to the Southwest Agent nearby. Very simple.
Not as convenient as RAC, as you still have to schlep your bags to the SW counter area, but it does reduce the amount of time you spend waiting in line to drop off your bags.

OK, thanks. So the only line waiting is going to be for the kiosk? Hopefully it's not very long?

And you can also type your confirmation number into the kiosk if you don’t have a boarding pass. You can print one from the kiosk as well as check in your luggage.

And you can also type your confirmation number into the kiosk if you don’t have a boarding pass. You can print one from the kiosk as well as check in your luggage.

Indeed! You can also type in your RR number (which is what I do, as I have it memorized). I never print off the boarding pass anymore. I just use my RR at the kiosk and print the boarding pass along with the bag tags.

Steve

Steve

Has anyone cancelled a flight that is scheduled for after September 7, 2020? We moved our July flight to November (originally booking in Dec 2019 so the the expiration date is Dec 2020). Now of course we are worried that we won't be able to go again in November and it most likely will be a decision not made until the fall. I'm trying to think of ways salvage the flight funds as much as possible. Of course if Southwest extends their travel funds expiration dates. then I have no worries but obviously don't know that yet. I'm thinking of cancelling the flight now, taking the funds and the re-booking using points for 1 way and using
funds from cancelled April flight- so at least I will be out less money/funds. Flights haven't changed much from original booking so no huge fare increase. Looking for some reassurance that this would work or I'm just babbling!!! Also another question- since my November flight expires Dec 2020- I assume I can't move it to Feb 2021 (or does just travel funds expire in Dec 2020). Thanks for any info anyone has in my long winded post!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter