Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

Does anyone recall when SW extended the open middle seat through 10/31? We are flying thanksgiving week and am hoping it gets extended into November.
I very recently inquired about the open middle seat policy being extended past the end of October and was told that it is not yet known, if there will be an extension.

I very recently inquired about the open middle seat policy being extended past the end of October and was told that it is not yet known, if there will be an extension.
I’ve heard that as well. I noticed this morning that the wording on their site no longer says “at least through 10/31” but just says through 10/31 when referring to the middle seat being open.
In all fairness, I might be misremembering or reading too much into it 🤷🏻‍♀️

I understand you can book flights for others out of your account using points. My question is is there any difference if the account holder is a minor? My daughter is 16 and has her own RR account. If I convert the travel funds in her name to points, is there any issues booking flights for both of us out of her account? Thanks.

I understand you can book flights for others out of your account using points. My question is is there any difference if the account holder is a minor? My daughter is 16 and has her own RR account. If I convert the travel funds in her name to points, is there any issues booking flights for both of us out of her account? Thanks.

No, not a problem. But remember, you can't book a flight using points from 2 different account.

Steve

A Southwest FB post promoting the 3-day sale released on Tuesday, references open seats:

Sail off for a little while. Revisit a favorite or explore a new destination. Book while it's on sale. And, for your comfort, middle seats are open until at least October 31.

The open middle seats policy is still described as ‘open until at least October 31.’

If their bookings are not at capacity into fall and early winter, they would not be losing revenue, but possibly picking up business that could otherwise go to other carriers, if continuing to keep middle seats open. Currently, only Delta has announced an open seat policy continuing at least till first week week of January 2021.

Actually you can book flights out of two different accts. Book one way tickets. Use the point from one acct for one direction and the points from another acct for the other direction.

True, but that's booking two flights. You cannot book a flight using points from two RR accounts.

Steve

Apparently, Southwest is still evaluating whether or not they will extend the open middle seat policy, past the end of October. The advisement is to basically watch their website and social media for updates.

If you have travel booked on Southwest past October 31, and it's announced that middle seats on Southwest will no longer be blocked after that date, will you cancel your Southwest flights? As of right now, only one airline (Delta) has confirmed that they will continue to block middle seats on their flights, till the first week of January 2021.

Apparently, Southwest is still evaluating whether or not they will extend the open middle seat policy, past the end of October. The advisement is to basically watch their website and social media for updates.

If you have travel booked on Southwest past October 31, and it's announced that middle seats on Southwest will no longer be blocked after that date, will you cancel your Southwest flights? As of right now, only one airline (Delta) has confirmed that they will continue to block middle seats on their flights, till the first week of January 2021.
I won't, I've got a trip for my family of four to DEN the week before Thanksgiving. Not that I think it will be an issue but I think I will put my 7 year old on the aisle, I'll take the window and we'll swap around if someone decides they need to sit with us.

I have a question about the current boarding process. I've read they are boarding in groups of 10. I also thought I read somewhere that they are encouraging passengers to fill seats from the back of the plane first. Are they actually doing this? It would make more sense from a COVID standpoint to help with social distancing. What about pre-boarding for passengers with disabilities? Do they "reserve" the first couple of rows for those people to board once everyone else is on board? Or do they board as before and have everyone still file past them as they board (inevitably getting banged in the side of the head by someones carry-on)?

I have a question about the current boarding process. I've read they are boarding in groups of 10. I also thought I read somewhere that they are encouraging passengers to fill seats from the back of the plane first. Are they actually doing this? It would make more sense from a COVID standpoint to help with social distancing. What about pre-boarding for passengers with disabilities? Do they "reserve" the first couple of rows for those people to board once everyone else is on board? Or do they board as before and have everyone still file past them as they board (inevitably getting banged in the side of the head by someones carry-on)?
Passengers can choose any available seat or row except middle seats are remaining open when guests are not with the same travel party. Therefore no, they are not loading back rows first.

The pre-board folks are filed past same as before. The only difference now is the front row seats have a reserved sign on them for the flight attendants.

Yeah most people sit at the front like always. I tried to convince my daughter to sit further back in the hopes of an empty row behind us or something but she wasn’t having it. We sat over the wing with people in the rows around us. Luckily the person across the aisle in the row beside us and the row behind that one was were alone and took window seats so that didn’t put someone directly across the aisle from us. And like mentioned the bulkhead row is blocked off.

Save 20% on Southwest Flights

There is an extremely unusual offer that only is valid till 09/17/2020 to save 20% on Southwest flights for travel through 10/31/2020. You must use RR points to pay, and add the promo code Save20now. The booking engine will show the regular fare, as well as the discounted fare, next to each listed flight.

Last edited:
And, SURPRISE!! That 20% off still comes to more than I have ever had to pay for my BDL-MCO route preCovid.
With middle seats left open, meaning able to sell only 2/3 maximum normal capacity, Southwest’s costs to operate a flight remain constant-whether every single seat is sold, or not. If they decide to unblock and sell middle seats, after 10/31/2020, fares should start to come down in cost.

I wonder if the cut off date for the 20% discount is because they intend to sell middle seats, eff. for travel Nov. 1 and later.

In the meantime, for anyone now booking Southwest for travel through Oct. 31, it is a good deal.

Last edited:

We flew a couple weeks ago, had a layover each way. On one of the 4 flights, the flight attendants were asking people to please head to the back of the plane. They were saying there are seats back there and it helps distribute the weight. They weren't forcing people, just saying it. It stuck out because I thought it was odd, as it was the last of our four flights and didn't hear it before. We were in the A boarding group (around 30-40) each time so its not like we were boarding later/earlier that time than others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!