Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

We purchased and were glad to get B4 and B5. Until we saw that minimum 60 people preboarded with children. I'm all for parents sitting with their children. However on this flight entire families boarded with them. The agent tried to tell two women (aunts) they had to go to their designated boarding location. They both refused and started arguing. One left and got back in line. The other just started walking down the jetway. I don't think the agent was up for more arguing.

I would really be nice if SW could promote children and parents only. So our "good seats" put us in the back of the plane in 2 middle seats. I don't think we will purchase again.

We purchased and were glad to get B4 and B5. Until we saw that minimum 60 people preboarded with children. I'm all for parents sitting with their children. However on this flight entire families boarded with them. The agent tried to tell two women (aunts) they had to go to their designated boarding location. They both refused and started arguing. One left and got back in line. The other just started walking down the jetway. I don't think the agent was up for more arguing.

I would really be nice if SW could promote children and parents only. So our "good seats" put us in the back of the plane in 2 middle seats. I don't think we will purchase again.
seems like the agents for SW don't want to fight with people about boarding or seat saving which is kind of irritating for those who actually pay (EBCI) to get a better boarding position/seat.

I'm trying to figure out how many points we would need at the end of September. Is there a way to estimate how many points we may need? With the 35% off points sale they're having now, it maybe cheaper to buy points than to pay for the flight out right. I tried looking at sunday's, but of course it depends on the time of year and it ranged from 8,000 points (may 31) to 13,000 points (november)

Do the points expire? If we get the CC, and get the bonus points, will we be able to use those points in February when September flights are released?

I'm trying to figure out how many points we would need at the end of September. Is there a way to estimate how many points we may need? With the 35% off points sale they're having now, it maybe cheaper to buy points than to pay for the flight out right. I tried looking at sunday's, but of course it depends on the time of year and it ranged from 8,000 points (may 31) to 13,000 points (november)

Do the points expire? If we get the CC, and get the bonus points, will we be able to use those points in February when September flights are released?
It's really hard to estimate accurately how many points you'll need because there are so many variables. Like you said, time of year as well as things like holidays and day of the week will affect the flight cost a lot.

Booking on points is a huge advantage though since you can book immediately at release and then "re-book" to take advantage of any points savings later. Of course you can also do this on a cash fare but you end up with the pesky travel credits to track (and their expiration dates which can cause issues).

Southwest recently made a change and their points NEVER expire now - so that's awesome news! The Credit Card is a GREAT way to quickly bolster your points earnings. You could definitely have those points in hand by February and use them to book a Sept flight. I'll PM you with some information about the SW Companion Pass too which might warrant consideration.

It's really hard to estimate accurately how many points you'll need because there are so many variables. Like you said, time of year as well as things like holidays and day of the week will affect the flight cost a lot.

Booking on points is a huge advantage though since you can book immediately at release and then "re-book" to take advantage of any points savings later. Of course you can also do this on a cash fare but you end up with the pesky travel credits to track (and their expiration dates which can cause issues).

Southwest recently made a change and their points NEVER expire now - so that's awesome news! The Credit Card is a GREAT way to quickly bolster your points earnings. You could definitely have those points in hand by February and use them to book a Sept flight. I'll PM you with some information about the SW Companion Pass too which might warrant consideration.

Awesome, thank you for the info! I went ahead and got the card, i figured it was a win-win if we pay it off every month.

Just so i understand...if i book the morning they come out and then later the points are lowered, i can rebook? We usually book the cheapest category (i don't know the name of it) and thought it was non-refundable.

Also, what about early bird check-in? Can we pay in points or is it just cash?

Awesome, thank you for the info! I went ahead and got the card, i figured it was a win-win if we pay it off every month.

Just so i understand...if i book the morning they come out and then later the points are lowered, i can rebook? We usually book the cheapest category (i don't know the name of it) and thought it was non-refundable.

Yes you can rebook and it’s very easy to do with points. It is non-refundable but if you look up info on SWs rebooking procedures you’ll see that they are still very flexible AND points flights ARE basically refundable.

EBCI unfortunately has to be paid in cash.

So you can get this at the desk near where you normally board the plane? If that is not yet staffed (MAgic express 3 hours early....is there anywhere else you can go in MCO that you can do this?
Nope, just at the gate. But, no one else can buy the upgrade until someone comes to the gate so you aren't behind anyone in buying by waiting till it's staff.

Do those of you travelling on adult-only trips buy EBCI? My dh doesn't let me. lol It's always nerve-wracking checking in at the 24hr mark, but we've always been able to sit together. We usually get high A's or low B's. Once we got B30 or something like that, and just barely got seats together. We're only a party of 2 though. It's just not worth it to us to spend the extra money. It wouldn't be the end of the world if we can't sit together for a short flight to Florida. I can see it being different with children.
Nope. Even with DGD we don't. I don't care if it's the back of the plane, all we need is near each other. Flown with them a lot and never not sat together.
Apps make it too easy to check in. They even give you an alert when it's time. Even going home it's just a couple clicks

You don't even rebook. You just go through the Change flight process. It will issue the credit, no rebooking needed.

That's very frustrating, and unfortunately common on flights to and from Orlando. This is where forgoing EBCI and taking your chances on purchasing an A1-15 position at the gate may come in handy, as PPs were discussing. I'd have a hard time paying double (EBCI AND an upgraded boarding position), but might be willing to roll the dice and just pay for the upgraded boarding at the gate if I was seeing a ton of kids or families lining up.

Also, EBCI should only be purchased if you value them checking you in on your behalf because you don't want to be inconvenienced at the 24 hour mark, when you'd have to check yourself in. It should never be purchased to achieve an early boarding position, because that's not an advertised perk and its become more of a crapshoot lately with the popularity of it.

If I booked using Southwest gift card and need to cancel a refundable airfare do they give me the refund on the gift card? Do gift cards have expiration dates if it is a refund?

Last edited:
Well, I finally got the 'we changed your flight, you can pick a different one' email from SW. Looking at the other flight options, we would only move an hour earlier. Not sure if it is worth going through the hassle of changing 2 reservations and the rental car just to gain an hour. At the same time, flight points went down so technically I could call for a credit but we probably won't fly again for years and years (and I'll probably drop the CC by then) so not sure if it's even worth doing that.

Looks like the free changes relating to 737-MAX has now become available tor FEB 8th to March 6th. Anyone who has flights within that time frame should be able to switch to any flight they want +/- 14 days. It also should work for new reservations. Way to get some prime flights at super cheap. Using an example from the last schedule set change...i was able to cancel an existing flight booked for MLK weekend that was around 10k points a ticket. I then book a flight 3 days after I wanted to fly home for 3,000 points. Once ticketed I was able to go in and change the flight to the original date for FREE.

Last edited:
Well, I finally got the 'we changed your flight, you can pick a different one' email from SW. Looking at the other flight options, we would only move an hour earlier. Not sure if it is worth going through the hassle of changing 2 reservations and the rental car just to gain an hour. At the same time, flight points went down so technically I could call for a credit but we probably won't fly again for years and years (and I'll probably drop the CC by then) so not sure if it's even worth doing that.
I don't know if it helps at all, but you can change your arrival day too. We had a schedule change right around the same time we decided to add a night to the start of our trip, so it worked out well to be able to move our flight to the day prior for no additional cost.

If I booked using Southwest gift card and need to cancel a refundable airfare do they give me the refund on the gift card? Do gift cards have expiration dates if it is a refund?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your refundable fare is not refundable if you used a gift card. 😞 You can only get a travel credit which will carry an expiration date of one year from when you originally booked the travel.

See here: https://www.southwest.com/html/air/products/gift-card-terms-and-conditions.html

A Southwest gift card redeemed for travel is not refundable. If travel is not taken, the funds will be held funds with an expiration date. If applied with any other accepted form(s) of payment, the earliest expiration date of all forms of payment applies.

Can all parties in a group be checked in through the app 24 hours before. Will I get an option to print the tickets. I read somewhere that I can check everyone in but to print boarding pass I will need to print it form the kiosk.

Can all parties in a group be checked in through the app 24 hours before. Will I get an option to print the tickets. I read somewhere that I can check everyone in but to print boarding pass I will need to print it form the kiosk.

You can print from a regular printer as long as you have access to one; I print ours out at home, and at Disney they can print them out for you at your hotel, or even in the parks. You can print them at the airport as well at a kiosk. And, yes, everyone gets checked in that are under the same confirmation number. If you have more than one confirmation number, they will be done separately.

Every day I check Southwest for any fare changes to our flights in 2 weeks. I've slowly been able to whittle the $$$ down. Imagine my surprise this morning to find our departing flight in 2 weeks dropped by $45.00...making it a $54.00 flight Midway to Orlando! The return flight hasn't changed but I had whittled that down to $99.00. We're flying Midway to Orlando, Non Stop, round trip, for roughly $300.00 total! Well, EBCI added $60 but I'll take round trip with EBCI non stop for $360.00 any day:). We'll be able to use the substantial credit on our April flights that I haven't booked yet. Gotta love Southwest!

Every day I check Southwest for any fare changes to our flights in 2 weeks. I've slowly been able to whittle the $$$ down. Imagine my surprise this morning to find our departing flight in 2 weeks dropped by $45.00...making it a $54.00 flight Midway to Orlando! The return flight hasn't changed but I had whittled that down to $99.00. We're flying Midway to Orlando, Non Stop, round trip, for roughly $300.00 total! Well, EBCI added $60 but I'll take round trip with EBCI non stop for $360.00 any day:). We'll be able to use the substantial credit on our April flights that I haven't booked yet. Gotta love Southwest!
I'm so jealous! I've been watching our flights in early January and am so frustrated that they just won't budge.

I'm so jealous! I've been watching our flights in early January and am so frustrated that they just won't budge.
WELL...After further review, it looks like I screwed up earlier in the year. When I purchased the airfare for December, back in May, we had $20.00 credit, which I used. However, after reviewing all these discounts I've been able to apply, it looks like the original $20.00 credit was set to expire in March 2020. So all my credits that basically added up to $102 have to be used on flights taken by March 8, 2020. Our next trip is in April...so all this stalking hasn't helped as we're not planning on anything prior to April:(.

I just learned a valuable lesson. I shouldn't have used the measly $20.00 credit during the May purchase. If I hadn't, I would have been able to continue to stalk and apply funds that wouldn't have expired until May 2020. I'll be more mindful in the future. Lesson learned. I realize I could just cancel and rebook at the current rates but then our EBCI would be screwed up and we'd probably end up with C boarding..which my husband will KILL me for:).

Last edited:
WELL...After further review, it looks like I screwed up earlier in the year. When I purchased the airfare for December, back in May, we had $20.00 credit, which I used. However, after reviewing all these discounts I've been able to apply, it looks like the original $20.00 credit was set to expire in March 2020. So all my credits that basically added up to $102 have to be used on flights taken by March 8, 2020. Our next trip is in April...so all this stalking hasn't helped as we're not planning on anything prior to April:(.

I just learned a valuable lesson. I shouldn't have used the measly $20.00 credit during the May purchase. If I hadn't, I would have been able to continue to stalk and apply funds that wouldn't have expired until May 2020. I'll be more mindful in the future. Lesson learned. I realize I could just cancel and rebook at the current rates but then our EBCI would be screwed up and we'd probably end up with C boarding..which my husband will KILL me for:).
Well, he'd not be seated near you so he'd have a hard time doing that, LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!