Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

I am traveling Easter Week, not to WDW this time. Right now, SW flights are really high for that time and most of the Wanna Get Away fares are sold out. In general, do you guys think they will go down at all? I am considering flying with another airline because they are about $600 cheaper than Southwest right now for 2 people. I know you guys all know your stuff so please give me your opinions! Thanks.

I am traveling Easter Week, not to WDW this time. Right now, SW flights are really high for that time and most of the Wanna Get Away fares are sold out. In general, do you guys think they will go down at all? I am considering flying with another airline because they are about $600 cheaper than Southwest right now for 2 people. I know you guys all know your stuff so please give me your opinions! Thanks.
For a $600 difference and with Wanna Get Away fares being sold out I'd be booking with the other airline.

That's quite a difference but for me it would depend on what airline you're talking about.

I'd also say it may be destination specific with your SWA flight route you're taking because we're flying to Vegas on Easter Sunday and it's stayed low at $123 per person WGA. Even though I've seen Vegas for less than that it's still not what I would consider high.

Thanks for your input. The flights are super high for a few days before and after my intended flight date. They are also high in the closest airports to me (2 or 2 and a half hours away) that SW flies out of. I hate that SW no longer flies out of Newark, NJ....I think this is part of the problem too! Another airline might be getting my business unfortunately. This is a game I do not enjoy playing!

I received the notice on my account last Thursday that I could change our flights for free due to the Max 8 extension, and on Friday I changed our return flight. I just signed on to my Southwest account to possibly change our departure flight and now the banner is not showing with the notice offering a free change. Does this mean the free change was only offered for a few days and it's too late to change it for free?

Yeah, relatively certain that's what it means. Probably enough people took advantage of the offer in those few days that WE doesn't need to move anyone else.

I received the notice on my account last Thursday that I could change our flights for free due to the Max 8 extension, and on Friday I changed our return flight. I just signed on to my Southwest account to possibly change our departure flight and now the banner is not showing with the notice offering a free change. Does this mean the free change was only offered for a few days and it's too late to change it for free?
Yes, when Southwest offers the free changes, they only last 4-5 days.

I received a similar e-mail recently and it defined a very specific window of time when the change could be made.

Hi all,
How do I tell where my plane is coming from and if my flight is part of a continuing flight?
Thanks

Hi all,
How do I tell where my plane is coming from and if my flight is part of a continuing flight?
Thanks

Try the app "FlightAware". Search for your carrier and flight number, and choose the date you are traveling. Anything that might bookable as a continuing flight will show up with the same flight number for that day. Sometimes a flight with 2 stops or more isn't actually bookable when you search for it on the Southwest site. Usually the 1 stop ones are. The FlightAware app is also extremely good at giving you updates on delays and departure times. Usually before your airline even announces things. When you're actually waiting for your flight, there is also a button "Where's my plane now?" that will track the incoming aircraft on a map.

Example:

My flight on 4/9 is SWA215 from BWI to MCO. FlightAware tells me that it leaves MDW and goes to DTW, then on to BWI and MCO. MDW to MCO (with two stop overs) is not bookable (via the SW website) on this flight number, but DTW to MCO (with the stop in BWI) is. So my BWI-MCO flight is certainly the latter part of a continuing flight.

Just an FYI...I was checking my already booked SW flights for April to see if there was a price drop....there was! Our return flight fare dropped by $20.00. I did the change thing and another $40.00 went into the credit box for our next flight. Obsessively checking worked out:).

Anyone else see that they changed the next release of flights to March 12th? It was supposed to be Feb 13th! Wonder why it was delayed a month. That's so late, I feel like.

Anyone else see that they changed the next release of flights to March 12th? It was supposed to be Feb 13th! Wonder why it was delayed a month. That's so late, I feel like.
Yes, that was changed a couple of weeks ago and chatted about here.

This is a great thread to watch to keep up on changes like that.

You're correct that March 12th is late for the next set of flights to release based on historical information. I think the unknown of the Max8 is still causing them to make adjustments to their schedules often.

I’ve never flown SW before, but I have a couple of credits from a trip I planned in the fall and had to cancel. Problem is that the flights for my new dates are much more expensive than comparable flights last fall.

I’m going in mid-May and flying midweek both ways to try to optimize PTO as well as snag the best flight prices.

For those of you who are SW veterans, when is the best time (generally) to book? I can go more cheaply on another airline based on current prices, but I’d rather fly SW.

I know if the fare decreases, I can rebook, but I am honestly unlikely to have an opportunity to do so before the credit expires, so what I book is what I’ll pay.

Any advice?

Unfortunately, usually the best time to book is when fares are first released. And your credits have to be used (not just booked) within one year of original purchase date, not flight date.

When you say
I can go more cheaply on another airline based on current prices, but I’d rather fly SW.
Are you comparing the actual ticket prices, or are other airlines cheaper even after you app!y the credits?

Unfortunately, usually the best time to book is when fares are first released. And your credits have to be used (not just booked) within one year of original purchase date, not flight date.

When you say

Are you comparing the actual ticket prices, or are other airlines cheaper even after you app!y the credits?
Yes. Not by a lot, but yes.

Last fall, I booked the tickets in October for a November trip, so was thinking there might be an advantage to booking closer. I know traditionally the legacy carriers have better prices about 4 weeks out.

I worry that if I get book and the price drops, I’ll get the credit, but have to use it by October when I first booked the first flight.

Go with Southwest, then don't look at the prices, ever again.

If you choose another airline, you will have completely wasted the original funds.

I worry that if I get book and the price drops, I’ll get the credit, but have to use it by October when I first booked the first flight.
Yes, anytime you use travel funds to book a flight, the date gets attached to the original date.

Last fall, I booked the tickets in October for a November trip, so was thinking there might be an advantage to booking closer. I know traditionally the legacy carriers have better prices about 4 weeks out.
If you're flying mid-week on a non-holiday or school break week, it's very possible flight prices will go down. Or maybe not. It's really impossible to predict. One thing you could do to minimize your risk is to purchase one way now. Then if prices go down you can use whatever credit you get from that flight to purchase the other way. And if prices go up, you're only paying the extra cost for one way instead of both ways.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!