Post all SW questions concerns, etc. here...

All done! RDU-MCO for our times was $104 both ways, but I use points, and it was 7,323 points per person each way. Not bad at all!

Won’t let us use travel funds for covid cancelled flights despite a 9/2022 expiration date. Husband is on hold now.

FYI - Southwest extended their schedule this morning for flights through October 30th, 2020.

Here is my usual Historical Southwest Release Dates (for planning purposes) comment:

In an odd move... SW's next release was not announced this morning. Instead you're met with this phrase: "At this time, we do not have a date for our next schedule extension therefore please check back frequently."
  • NEXT RELEASE: TBD*
  • 5/28/20 - travel through January 4th, 2021
  • 3/12/20 - travel through October 30th, 2020
  • 12/11/19 - travel through August 10th, 2020
  • 10/30/19 - travel through June 6th, 2020
  • 9/26/19 - travel through April 13th, 2020
  • 8/15/19 - travel through March 6th, 2020
  • 5/30/19 - travel through January 5th, 2020
  • 3/15/19 - travel through November 2nd, 2019
  • 1/31/19 - travel through October 1st, 2019
  • 11/15/18 - travel through August 5th, 2019
  • 9/27/18 - travel through June 8th, 2019
  • 8/30/18 - travel through April 7th, 2019
  • 6/28/18 - travel through March 6th, 2019
  • 5/31/18 - travel through January 6th, 2019
  • 3/8/18 - travel through November 3rd, 2018
  • 2/15/18 - travel through October 1st, 2018
  • 11/2/17 - travel through August 6th, 2018
  • 8/28/17 - travel through June 1st, 2018
  • 7/27/17 - travel through April 6th, 2018
  • 6/22/17 - travel through March 7th, 2018
  • 5/18/17 - travel through January 7th, 2018
*Subject to Change - check back frequently here: https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-schedules/

This chart could be useful to approximate when your travel time may become available for upcoming releases, however they don't always follow the exact same pattern (as you can see above) They appear to be tightening the inventory a bit this year vs. prior year's releases.

RELEASE TIMES (all times Eastern):
  • the release on 5/28/20 went live at 9:06am.
  • the release on 3/12/20 went live at 9:40am.
  • The release on 12/11/19 went live at 9:10am.
  • The release on 10/30/19 went live at 7:15am.
  • The release on 9/26/19 went live at 7:30am.
  • The release on 8/15/19 went live at 10:41am.
  • The release on 5/30/19 went live at 9:20am.
If you want to search back for this post in the future - just search my name and "release". But be advised that I will not go back and update this post if they alter the next release date in the future.

FYI - Southwest extended their schedule this morning for flights through October 30th, 2020.

Here is my usual Historical Southwest Release Dates (for planning purposes) comment:

In an odd move... SW's next release was not announced this morning. Instead you're met with this phrase: "At this time, we do not have a date for our next schedule extension therefore please check back frequently."
  • NEXT RELEASE: TBD*
  • 5/28/20 - travel through January 4th, 2021
  • 3/12/20 - travel through October 30th, 2020
  • 12/11/19 - travel through August 10th, 2020
  • 10/30/19 - travel through June 6th, 2020
  • 9/26/19 - travel through April 13th, 2020
  • 8/15/19 - travel through March 6th, 2020
  • 5/30/19 - travel through January 5th, 2020
  • 3/15/19 - travel through November 2nd, 2019
  • 1/31/19 - travel through October 1st, 2019
  • 11/15/18 - travel through August 5th, 2019
  • 9/27/18 - travel through June 8th, 2019
  • 8/30/18 - travel through April 7th, 2019
  • 6/28/18 - travel through March 6th, 2019
  • 5/31/18 - travel through January 6th, 2019
  • 3/8/18 - travel through November 3rd, 2018
  • 2/15/18 - travel through October 1st, 2018
  • 11/2/17 - travel through August 6th, 2018
  • 8/28/17 - travel through June 1st, 2018
  • 7/27/17 - travel through April 6th, 2018
  • 6/22/17 - travel through March 7th, 2018
  • 5/18/17 - travel through January 7th, 2018
*Subject to Change - check back frequently here: https://www.southwest.com/air/flight-schedules/

This chart could be useful to approximate when your travel time may become available for upcoming releases, however they don't always follow the exact same pattern (as you can see above) They appear to be tightening the inventory a bit this year vs. prior year's releases.

RELEASE TIMES (all times Eastern):
  • the release on 5/28/20 went live at 9:06am.
  • the release on 3/12/20 went live at 9:40am.
  • The release on 12/11/19 went live at 9:10am.
  • The release on 10/30/19 went live at 7:15am.
  • The release on 9/26/19 went live at 7:30am.
  • The release on 8/15/19 went live at 10:41am.
  • The release on 5/30/19 went live at 9:20am.
If you want to search back for this post in the future - just search my name and "release". But be advised that I will not go back and update this post if they alter the next release date in the future.
Oh Wow- that is odd. I was hoping to be done with constantly checking Southwest's site for awhile!!! I'll be needing to book for February. Hoping it's in the August time frame.

The fares are much higher than normal, this year, compared with October fares, in my searches. On my route, there is a 50% increase for most nonstops for this new booking window, compared to lowest fare for same route in October. Looking at the "Low fare calendar," all dates are coming up the same fare for most of November and December dates, which leads me to believe that there is not the usual demand for booking the holidays to MCO this year. I think that many planning WDW trips are delaying booking, to see how things look down the road.

Of course, today's fares are not necessarily the lowest fares available, before departure date. I think there is a good chance we will see fare reductions, if demand is not strong.

Oh man! That's so much better than my PIT to MCO flights! Though we leave 2 days after Thanksgiving, ugh.
We are PIT -MCO as well. These prices are better than the past two years for Christmas flights but there were some that we're insane. I was disappointed in the flights times though.

So I’d like to change the date of an existing flight. I also have travel funds valid for the new travel dates. As my new flights are more expensive than my current, I’d like to use my travel funds (I have multiple fund but at least 1 is large enough to cover the difference). I don’t see the option to use those travel fund when checking out. Is it not possible to use travel funds when changing flights?

We are PIT -MCO as well. These prices are better than the past two years for Christmas flights but there were some that we're insane. I was disappointed in the flights times though.

Oh really?! I guess that could make me feel better haha. I had to book 3 flights and paid about $400/person for roundtrip flights. Yes, the flight times didn't seem like they used to be. I had a trip to Orlando and August and the flight times were awful, not nearly as many nonstop flights as usual!

So I’d like to change the date of an existing flight. I also have travel funds valid for the new travel dates. As my new flights are more expensive than my current, I’d like to use my travel funds (I have multiple fund but at least 1 is large enough to cover the difference). I don’t see the option to use those travel fund when checking out. Is it not possible to use travel funds when changing flights?
The option was there for me. It was under where you put your names in

Grabbed very early morning flight Dec.23 LGA to TPA for $99....so they have to get up real early and then we have to drive from TPA to Disney but hey
Christmas/ New Years in Disney 14 years and counting can't complain. They probably will but if they don't like it they can stay home or pay for their
own ticket yeah right... :rotfl2: ….. Now just have to decide what to do to get home on Jan.3 or not!!

Two questions as this is the first time I'm looking at Southwest:

If I use points to book my tickets for December, do they have the same reusable policy as tickets bought with cash?

Has anyone had experience transferring points from Chase travel to Southwest Rapid Rewards? Wondering if the transfer is "instant" as they claim. There are 2 seats left for a flight I'm trying to book and don't want to be stuck waiting hours or days for the transfer 😕

When you are logged into your RR account and click "View Travel Funds", does it show that the expiration date has updated to 9/7/22?
No, it has 10/29/20 as the expiration date so I could not use them for the trip I am booking now :( I'll call later because I am burnt out right now. They are issuing me a voucher for the $50 I paid for Early Bird booking which applies to flights only so I will have to book one of my flights with cash instead of points :rolleyes1

Two questions as this is the first time I'm looking at Southwest:

If I use points to book my tickets for December, do they have the same reusable policy as tickets bought with cash?

Has anyone had experience transferring points from Chase travel to Southwest Rapid Rewards? Wondering if the transfer is "instant" as they claim. There are 2 seats left for a flight I'm trying to book and don't want to be stuck waiting hours or days for the transfer 😕

The transfer has always been instant (or at least within 30min or so) for me.

By reusable, do you mean if you cancel or make changes? If you book with points, any changes/cancellations will be refunded to you in points.

After over an hour, working on the phone with my brother and both of us on internet, we booked Grand Rapids, Michigan to LAX for November 21 - November 28th for five people. He used a combination of points and cash and a very complicated itinerary with people using different airports. I had never flown over a holiday before and winced at the prices, especially as it went up a $125.00 on my ticket from when schedule opened until we got it together to book.o_O But is is done and the Thanksgiving holiday at Disneyland is one step closer. Next I need the parks to reopen as we have had Paradise Pier booked for seven months already.

The transfer has always been instant (or at least within 30min or so) for me.

By reusable, do you mean if you cancel or make changes? If you book with points, any changes/cancellations will be refunded to you in points.

Thank you 🙏 and yes, I meant if I had to change or cancel in case COVID-19 prevents us from traveling in December.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!