Post-Cancer Solo Celebration! March 4-9, 2018 (UPDATE 3/10: DAY 3 DINING REPORTS)

Jennafoo

Mouseketeer
Welcome to my second Disneyland solo trip, and a very special one it is!

IMG_1567.jpg

The last two years have been very difficult, to say the least. I was diagnosed in early 2016 with Stage 3b cancer that had invaded my lymph nodes; six more months and there would not have been much anyone could have done for me. What followed was two years of pure hell: multiple surgeries including one in which I died on the operating table, major complications (two that were life-threatening), months and months of aggressive chemo. I lost my hair and my job and was physically and mentally devastated.

Now, I'm finally in remission and have recovered a lot of my strength. I also received a nice settlement and now I'm ready to put it all behind me and CELEBRATE pixiedust:.

And that brings us to this trip!

Dates: Sunday March 4 to Friday March 9
Hotel: Grand Californian Concierge Level

I've got lots of great meals planned and a World of Color Dessert Party booked. But mostly I just want to relax and enjoy life in my happy place.

I hope you'll all join me!

PRE-TRIP UPDATE

I can't believe it's almost here! Granted, I only decided to do this a few weeks ago, but it's still felt like a long wait!

I received a call from the Grand Californian concierge today. This is my first time ever staying here, much less club level. In fact, I don't think I even walked into the lobby last trip so this will be a completely new experience!

The concierge, Abel, was super nice and got all of my information, including my arrival time so that someone can meet me and bring me to the club level check in. When he asked about celebrations, I was honest with him and told him I was celebrating the end of two years of cancer treatment and he was so kind and seemed so excited for me.

Apparently, I've already been assigned a room. He said it's got a great view overlooking the pool. Standard View Club Level was all that was left when I booked, but a view isn't that important to me. I had kind of hoped for a monorail view, but the Pool will do.

I've gone ahead and booked dining for every day, though my appetite is not what it used to be, so I may end up canceling some of these. We'll see. I did want to try new restaurants this time around, though, so these are mostly new to me.

Sunday (dinner): Storyteller's Cafe (not the buffet, though; the YouTube reviews I've seen were not great)
Monday (lunch): Wine Country Trattoria (for the Caprese salad!)
Monday (dinner): Steakhouse 55
Tuesday (lunch): Blue Bayou (my favorite!)
Tuesday (dinner): Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen
Wednesday (breakfast): Carnation Cafe
Wednesday evening: WOC Dessert Party (I'll figure something light for dinner)
Thursday (breakfast): Storytellers character breakfast
Thursday (dinner): Napa Rose
Friday (lunch): Steakhouse 55 Afternoon Tea

I've already begun packing, believe it or not. I bought several new tops, though nothing particularly "Disney", and just went ahead and started my suitcase. I've also refilled all my medications, including the motion sickness patches that I HOPE will allow me to ride more rides. (I'm a complete sicky, especially when it comes to rides like Star Tours and Soarin'.)

My plan is to leave the SF Bay Area around 6:30-7:30 on Sunday morning, and then drive down, arriving between 2-3, probably. I will need to pick up my AP, get my photo taken, and go into the park at least once to set up MaxPass, though I expect it to be packed. I may try and get a DAS, as well; I still have some major side effects from treatment that will never go away.
Sunday evening, I just plan to explore the hotel and enjoy the concierge lounge. I'll leave Friday after tea.

As far as attractions, I am a gamer, so a bit of a "completionist." I have ridden all the DL rides, but still have quite a few of the DCA rides to do (the Pier rides such as the swings, etc., GotG, Mater's, Luigi's, etc.). I plan to knock those out the first day, and then spend the next days just exploring and see where the wind (and MaxPass) takes me!

Only four more sleeps!

Last edited:

Following along! I hope you have a fantastic trip... sounds like it is MUCH deserved.

If you haven't done WoC Dessert Party you are in for a treat. We did it last October and loved it! It's a very special experience, and the desserts are quite yummy.

We love GCH -- great choice there. I haven't stayed club level, but it sounds amazing from what I've read.

Congrats on your remission! This trip sounds amazing!! You have such good dining planned.

I'm a total sicky as well. I understand the motion sickness. I hope the medication helps!

Welcome to my second Disneyland solo trip, and a very special one it is!

View attachment 305535

The last two years have been very difficult, to say the least. I was diagnosed in early 2016 with Stage 3b cancer that had invaded my lymph nodes; six more months and there would not have been much anyone could have done for me. What followed was two years of pure hell: multiple surgeries including one in which I died on the operating table, major complications (two that were life-threatening), months and months of aggressive chemo. I lost my hair and my job and was physically and mentally devastated.

Now, I'm finally in remission and have recovered a lot of my strength. I also received a nice settlement and now I'm ready to put it all behind me and CELEBRATE pixiedust:.

And that brings us to this trip!

Dates: Sunday March 4 to Friday March 9
Hotel: Grand Californian Concierge Level

I've got lots of great meals planned and a World of Color Dessert Party booked. But mostly I just want to relax and enjoy life in my happy place.

I hope you'll all join me!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! (((Big hugs))) to you! This trip will be extra sweet!

Wonderful that you are doing so much better. I hope you enjoy your trip. I see you have the Jazz Kitchen on your list that is one of my favorites.

Following along! I hope you have a fantastic trip... sounds like it is MUCH deserved.

If you haven't done WoC Dessert Party you are in for a treat. We did it last October and loved it! It's a very special experience, and the desserts are quite yummy.

We love GCH -- great choice there. I haven't stayed club level, but it sounds amazing from what I've read.

I'm so looking forward to the GCH, especially with the remodel complete. I'm glad you give the Dessert Party a thumbs up; I can't stand or sit on the ground long enough for most shows anymore, so the seats were what I was mainly going for. Yummy treats are good too!

Congrats on your remission! This trip sounds amazing!! You have such good dining planned.

I'm a total sicky as well. I understand the motion sickness. I hope the medication helps!

The patches HELPED last time, but not as much as I thought. I still felt sick on Indy, Star Tours and Space. If Space had lasted 15 more seconds it would have been bad for my seat mate. Where I do think they helped is that I recovered much more quickly when I did feel queasy and it didn't ruin me for an hour.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! (((Big hugs))) to you! This trip will be extra sweet!

Thank you so much!!

Wonderful that you are doing so much better. I hope you enjoy your trip. I see you have the Jazz Kitchen on your list that is one of my favorites.

Oh, good to hear! I'm from Louisiana so I have always wanted to try, but just never made it last time.

I think that your post-cancer trip is such a wonderful idea. What a fabulous way to celebrate being alive and getting through all of those treatments!

We all have different reasons to go to Disneyland. But yours is truly wonderful. Your story brought tears to my eyes. You are a warrior! And you deserve a rest.
I hope your trip is absolutely magical. I hope it fills you up and heals you mentally and emotionally.
And I'll be waiting to hear all about it when you come back.
*hugs*

I think that your post-cancer trip is such a wonderful idea. What a fabulous way to celebrate being alive and getting through all of those treatments!

That's exactly it: celebrating just being here. And what better place, right??

We all have different reasons to go to Disneyland. But yours is truly wonderful. Your story brought tears to my eyes. You are a warrior! And you deserve a rest.
I hope your trip is absolutely magical. I hope it fills you up and heals you mentally and emotionally.
And I'll be waiting to hear all about it when you come back.
*hugs*

Aw, thank you. You brought tears to MY eyes. I AM a warrior, aren't I?

I really do think this vacation will be great for me. And knowing me, I'll post while I'm there so you may not have to wait until I'm back. ;)

PRE TRIP UPDATE

It's almost time!!!!

giphy-2.gif

Only 2 more sleeps 'til I'm headed to DLR! Can I just go to sleep now??

A couple of things have happened including one BIG thing: I got a new job! I received the verbal offer yesterday and the written one
today, and got all my references, background check info and drug screen squared away today (it's a financial services job). It's a really great opportunity: my own team, a BIG raise, and a great location literally right across the street from the SF Giants ballpark! It'll cut my commute from an hour to about 20 minutes, too.

It also means that I basically don't have to worry about budget on this trip so shopping here I come!

shop.gif

Of course, I say that but usually when I give myself free rein to buy what I want, I never find anything...

In other news, I also bought my AP today and added MaxPass for $75. I'll activate that when I get in on Sunday afternoon so I'll be all ready to hit DCA running first thing Monday morning.

One thing I've been debating is changing my arrival night dinner from Storyteller's to Goofy's Kitchen. I've done breakfast there and it was great, but not dinner.

Pros: I like the idea of opening my trip with the characters and there will be lots more choice.
Cons: My appetite isn't huge AND I'll have all the apps and desserts in the lounge.

Decisions, decisions. (Opinions welcome.)

Now I just have to wait another day. Get here soon, Sunday!

giphy-5.gif

Last edited:
I think that you should have dinner at Goofy's Kitchen because, well, I prefer the characters at that character meal compared to the ones they have at Storyteller's.

I think you should do whatever will make you happy. And don't feel guilty when you're not able to eat much. Just enjoy yourself, and eat what you feel like. You're paying for the experience more than the food.

Congrats on the new job! Cutting that commute time is a huge bonus (well, it is here in Kansas, I can't imagine in San Francisco).

And you just treat yourself to whatever meal you feel like eating. I'm not a huge fan of buffets for dinner, but if you're going to have one anyway, I'd probably go with Goofy. Personally, I'd just walk over to Earl of Sandwich, get one of those amazing holiday sandwiches and then eat apps and desserts in the lounge. That sounds like my own dream come true. Can't wait to hear what you decide!

I think that you should have dinner at Goofy's Kitchen because, well, I prefer the characters at that character meal compared to the ones they have at Storyteller's.

I think you should do whatever will make you happy. And don't feel guilty when you're not able to eat much. Just enjoy yourself, and eat what you feel like. You're paying for the experience more than the food.

Congrats on the new job! Cutting that commute time is a huge bonus (well, it is here in Kansas, I can't imagine in San Francisco).

And you just treat yourself to whatever meal you feel like eating. I'm not a huge fan of buffets for dinner, but if you're going to have one anyway, I'd probably go with Goofy. Personally, I'd just walk over to Earl of Sandwich, get one of those amazing holiday sandwiches and then eat apps and desserts in the lounge. That sounds like my own dream come true. Can't wait to hear what you decide!

Thanks, all! I think I'm just gonna plan to stick with Storyteller's, though I plan to order off the menu and not get the buffet. (I've seen several YouTube reviews of the buffet and none were positive.) I forgot the Oscars are tomorrow so I think an early dinner in the hotel, followed by snacks and drinks from the lounge while watching the show in my room sounds heavenly!

Can't wait!

Last edited:
Since you are staying concierge level, you might find something good put out with the spread to sit and watch the monorail go by before the Oscars. One more sleep until you are on your way!! Sending pixie dust vibes to you. Hope you have great weather too.

What a fantastic reason for a trip, you certainly deserve all the Disney magic you can get after all of that.

I like you way of thinking in planning your trip around reservations at such great places to eat. And GCH concierge level - whoohoo!

I hope the travel and check in went well. Looking forward to hearing how the trip goes!

DAY ONE OVERVIEW!
Sunday, March 4, 2018

So I'm here and so far it's already shaping up to be an awesome vacation. I'm writing this from my AMAZING balcony on the sixth floor of the Grand, overlooking the pool, with a perfect view of Grizzly Peak, Guardians of the Galaxy and Radiator Springs. Heaven. I have a feeling I'll be out here a lot.

My day started much earlier than I expected; I woke up in pain at 2am (a more frequent occurrence than I care for nowadays) and couldn't go back to sleep, so I ended up leaving at 5am. Traffic was non-existent most of the way, and I made it into the hotel around 12:30.

Pretty much everyone else decided to check in about that time, and when I walked into the (gorgeous) Grand Californian lobby, there were about 40 groups waiting to check in. No joke. It was almost worth the cost of club level to walk right past them to the elevators, and an empty seat waiting for me to check in.

From there, I went to the beautiful new lounge, where they were serving afternoon tea. I'll post more details on the lounge later, but I really enjoyed the tea. To start, I had chicken BLT and caprese tea sandwiches (delicious), homemade kettle chips with ranch (really good) and 'tropical fruit juice' (nasty).

unnamed.jpg

I also had the two cookies that were out - dulce de leche and Mexican wedding cookies - and a raisin scone with Devonshire cream and raspberry jam. It was the perfect repast after my 7 1/2 hour drive.

unnamed-1.jpg

From there I headed into DCA, after picking up my Annual Pass, and stood in line at the Chamber of Commerce for a DAS. I had debated this, but it was pretty clear very soon that I needed it. Chemo is a *****, ya'll, and it takes a long, long time to recover. While standing in line, I took this picture of the pretty landscaping.

unnamed-3.jpg

The lady also gave me an "I'm Celebrating..." button and wrote "newly in remission." I got lots of supportive comments from that.

From there, I rode four rides that I've never done before, starting off with Heimlich's Chew Chew (so, so cute) and Mater's Junkyard Jamboree (FUN, but I definitely was missing my motion sickness meds (they were in my suitcase and my room wasn't ready).

unnamed-4.jpg

I also rode Goofy's Sky School and despite the negative reviews I've read, I LOVED it. Yeah, it was a little herky jerky, but not terrible. I was sitting next to a 10 year old girl, and there was one major drop I was not expecting; when I screamed she laughed at me. Too funny. I also rode Jumping Jellyfish, which had some amazing views but was a tad short.

unnamed-5.jpg

By this point my room was ready, and as I mentioned, it is an amazing location. I'll post more on the room later, but it couldn't be more perfect. It's on the 6th floor and right around the corner from the club level lounge. It's in a corner itself, so I only have one "neighbor". And the VIEWs...
unnamed-7.jpg

unnamed-8.jpg
unnamed-9.jpg

I had dinner at Storyteller's. I'll do a dining review of the meal in a bit, but let's just say I was disappointed and didn't eat much. I ended up stopping by the lounge for some cheese, desserts and champagne to watch the Oscars.

unnamed-10.jpg

Tomorrow I'll do early entry at DCA, and the only other "must do" will be seeing Mickey and the Magical Map, since it won't be available the rest of my trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!