Post your best organizational, space saving and trip making secrets here!!

When packing I lay out all the outfits and then put sticky notes on them saying what day to wear them and what the weather will be like. I put them in my suitcase in order of the days I'll be wearing them.

Bringing a hanging travel makeup case is a lifesaver, too. You can put everything in that thing! Hair brushes, tooth brushes, all your toiletries -- plus keeping it on the back of the door away from little hands is the best

Good idea for the pop-up hamper! I always have a pile of dirty clothes next to my suitcase and feel bad for the roomkeeper :rolleyes1

powellrj said:
we even pack our clothes in ziploc bags. You can get the large (I think its 2 1/2 gallon) size and squeeze all the air out of the packages. Its great because everything is all in one bag. When the clothes are dirty, you just put them back in the back and you don't have to worry about keeping dirty and clean clothes apart!

Do the adult clothes come out wrinkled?!

MacDalt said:
Do the adult clothes come out wrinkled?!

I have used Space Bags which are fancy ziplocks and the clothes came out pretty wrinkle-free. I wouldn't put a silk blouse in one but Disney wear should be safe. The key is to pack it in neatly and then to squeeze out all the air, it keeps everything nice and compact but also keeps it from wrinkling too badly I think.
If you get a bad crease you can always use the iron in the room:).

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Thanks! I think I'll try it at home first! I did it years ago with my kids but I don't remember their stuff being wrinkled. Or I didn't care cuz we were at Disney!

Thanks so much for all the tips! LOVE them!
I wanted to pass on that I was at Ikea (Canada) yesterday and picked up the closet shelf organizers that previous posts had mentioned. The hotel room we will be staying at in July has an 8ft long closet and I thought they would be perfect for organizing our clothes! I bought one for each of us! They were regular $8.99 on for $3.99!!!! I also picked up an over the door shoe organizer at Canadian Tire for $13.99 - Debbie Travis brand. I looked at many other options (cheaper) but definitely wanted see through pockets AND I figured I would use this for every trip now and wanted something that would last. I think I will also be putting it in my holiday trailer as well!!

Thanks for all the tips. We're leaving in 5 days and I've used a lot of these ideas!

Here's a few things that I've found helpful:

I used a small cloth pencil case as a mini first -aid kit ( band aids, moleskin, pain medication, antibacterial gel...) for my day bag.

I've transformed a metal lunchbox ($2 at Dollar store) into a travel art/ entertainment kit for the car. I used magnetic tape to attach a pad of paper and crayons to the bottom and included some magnets which they can stick on.

Tripit has been a really useful FREE app to organize all my confirmation numbers, schedules etc.

All the (unsoiled) ziplock bags I use will be stashed back in our suitcase after our trip to be re-used next trip so they're ready and I won't have to buy/ use more.

Happy planning!
(The dollar store can be really addictive)

So much great info here!! We are heading for our 3rd trip in a matter of days so, unfortunately, I am no WDW expert. However, I will try and contribute. I like to buy new coffee mugs when we go and I'm up to 5. I know I will buying at least 2 more this trip, as well. So, I pack a lock and lock (like tupperware) plastic box and fill it with granola bars, pop tarts, protein bars, etc. for the plane trip down. The kids like the pop tarts for a quick bite before we head out in the mornings and the other bars are for snacks while we're in the parks. Box is always empty before we head home and it's perfect to protect my new coffee mugs for the plane ride back home, along with anything else small that I don't want to risk breaking on the trip.

I want to do the hanging sweater organizer instead of using dresser drawers for our next trip. This one zips closed...

www.holdnstorage.com/6_shelf_sweater-ri_84741.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=froogle&catargetid=1874592772&kw={keyword}&gclid=CIbT1LTr5rYCFUJN4AodoRgA-w

do you think there's any down side to it zipping closed? Maybe not folding up in the suitcase as well?

sorry, can't get the link to be a 'link'

I pack a duffle bag of shoes only. With 6 people, we bring about 18 pairs of shoes on vacation. Keeping all of them in one bag together prevents the shoes from getting any "dirty stuff" on our clothes.

What a great idea as my 3 and 5 year olds do not know my cell number.
does anyone know where to get this paper?

I actually did something a little different that I found here many years ago. Somewhere on line you can purchase the rubber bracelets with your choice of saying on them. I did that for my kids and had our phone numbers put on them. That was 6 years ago. Still have them and still put them on kids anytime we go to any large functions! They have been great! And thank goodness we have never needed to use them!

I love, love, love this thread! So many great ideas for my last trip, and I'm re-reading it again for my next trip. Things I definitely recommend:

- Brita water bottles. I bought a 3-pack with extra filters at BJ's. No funky Florida water and no bulky disposable water bottles to ship/drag through the parks
- Something I haven't tried yet: I saw someone on another website recommend one of those giant carabiners/"Mommy clips" to carry water bottles on the stroller handle. I don't have enough cup holders for everyone, so this is a great idea.
- Definitely get a swimmer's towel. I ordered a cheap one from Amazon and it was great for drying off wet ride seats after cloudbursts.
- IKEA zip-top bags for packing adult outfits. They come in 3 quart size (bigger than you can get at Target) and help me make sure I bring enough socks/underwear for the whole trip.
- A cheap cookie sheet from Dollar Tree is a great lap tray for preschoolers in the car or on the plane. DS used his to play with his toy cars and to eat snacks.
- A bath mat from Dollar Tree, just in case the bathtub at the hotel is not non-skid. Many hotels I've stayed in don't have them available due to sanitation issues.
- The 15/$1 glow sticks from Target are great. DS loved them, other kids were jealous and we left them by his bedside at night as a gentle night light. Dollar Tree also sells cute glow wands; he has had swords and skulls, but there are also hearts and stars.
- Our Keurig, K-cups and disposable coffee mugs from Dollar Tree. I am never sure about the cleanliness of in-room coffee makers and I need a cup right when I wake up. Definitely a money-saver as well.

I love the individual packets of Germ-X wipes! I got a box of 100 or so at Sam's and stuck a few in my day bag. The Purex sheets were awesome but I haven't seen them in a while.
We all use different soap/shampoo but everyone must use the same kind on our trips. I buy large bottles (6 of us) and use them about a week or so before. That way they are empty by the end of the trip and I just toss them. More room for Mickey Ears!

My favorite trick that I read in a parenting magazine a long time ago is to put the littler kids' clothes in gallon size ziplock bags. Put the entire outfit (shorts, top, underwear, socks, even hair barrettes and hats), except for the shoes, in a bag, and bring as many bags as days, plus a few extras. This keeps the suitcases in great order, and all the kid has to do to get dressed in the morning is grab a bag. As a bonus, you end up with a lot of gallon size ziplock bags, which are great for everything from wet bathing suits to open bags of snacks.

Forget the kids, this sounds like an idea I may want to use for myself, although my outfits might need grocery bags instead of ziplocks.
I have done similar in the past.

Put my whole outfit (including accessories) together ahead of time! Pack a few extras and bam. No trying to sort through pre-coffee trying find the top I just KNOW I packed and it is the only one that really matches these shorts!!!!
:laundy:

Forget the kids, this sounds like an idea I may want to use for myself, although my outfits might need grocery bags instead of ziplocks.
I have done similar in the past.

Put my whole outfit (including accessories) together ahead of time! Pack a few extras and bam. No trying to sort through pre-coffee trying find the top I just KNOW I packed and it is the only one that really matches these shorts!!!!
:laundy:

Glad sells 2.5 gallon bags - those would work for adults.

Love the ziplock bag packing trick. I also like eBags to separate family members cloths and this last trip I used ribbon to bundle outfits.

This is what the suitcase I packed my son and I in. There are actually a couple layers of eBags in there.

null_zps71441905.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!