Post your ideas for Christmas gifts for parents or grandparents!

My MIL is the HARDEST to buy for. She has 7 children and a whole flock of grandkids and great-grandkids and they all buy for her. Makes it easy to run out of things to get her. I would love to find something that is consumable that she loves to get every year (and DARE anyone to steal my idea! lol) .

We have gotten her a bread machine--don't think she ever used it. We got her a digital frame many years ago and told everyone in the family how to add their pictures to it. I assume she had it in her room, I honestly never saw it. (their home burned after these two gifts so she no longer has either of them) She either has or has previously had every appliance known to man and rarely uses most of them. She bought a Instant Pot when they first came out. It sat in the box on her bedroom floor for almost a year before she finally used it. And unless she uses it for week night meals and not the big family meals, she hasn't used it since.

She is our only living parent/grandparent. But in the past, we had some big hits.

For my grandfather, we did up a big basket of locally made jellies and fruit juices. He was so excited to try all of it.

For my dad, the one he loved the most was a Time magazine that I found at an antique store. It was from the 60's and it had a picture of a USAF plane refueling another plane on the front. Since that's what he did when he was in the Air Force, I got it. He was so excited about that gift!

For my mom, it was always things that were for cozy and relaxing. Throws, warm slippers, nice robes, warm pjs, different kinds of coffee or hot chocolates, etc. Oh and good movies. No matter how busy she stayed she loved to be warm and cozy when she was home.

Bought my MIL a 23 & Me DNA kit... only for ancestry, not for medical. As my DS said, "Grandma has enough to deal with, she doesn't need to worry about what might be."

My parents are getting a Roomba. They are intrigued by mine and think it's cool that I am able to vacuum the house by signaling from my phone when I'm not home.

I am not sure the exact name of the item but last year my husband's grandmother received a reaching/gripping tool with a magnet on the end that she has really gotten a lot of use out of as she was having issues bending and reaching for things, and the magnet helps to pick up things like her keys.

LOVE this idea, I saw those yesterday at the store and thought DH might like it, never considered it for my Mother. I think I'm going to go grab one for her!!

Other than that, she's getting a Ring camera and Echo Show. I'm hoping my brother will install and set it up for her. she lives out in the country by herself and is a little nervous answering the door now that her big dog is gone. Also, she's very hard of hearing so I'm thinking if the show is kept in her bedroom (she has other Dots around the house), she might be able to hear it the notification that someone is at the door. She worries about answering the door, but also worries about not answering it and someone thinking she isn't home and breaking in while she's there.

She's also getting a Queen Elizabeth funko pop and an avocado slicer.

Another thing we have done for elderly family members who were no longer able to decorate for the holidays was to send a small (tabletop size) live tree for the holidays. My grandma loved the pine smell and it gave a little festive feel to her assisted living apartment.

I also sent one to MIL the year she was hospitalized for Christmas. You have to check first to be sure that’s allowed—depends on the policy at the hospital and perhaps the level of care.

Mom (83) - a new book in a series she likes
Dad (88) - Magazine subscription that he likes
Both: Gift cards to local restaurants they like to eat at and a cooler full of beef/seafood. They grew up during the depression and my mom won't buy beef/seafood "because it's too expensive." (at this point there's no way they can outlive their money.) I get a Styrofoam cooler and fill it with steaks, stew beef, roasts, shrimp, scallops, etc. It's a hit every year.

It's been difficult for me lately. My Mil is in assisted living and my Mom lives in a 5th wheel camper. So needless to say they don't really need anything nor do they have the room. Last year I crocheted my Mil a lap blanket. So for my Mom I usually get her( and my Aunt because my Mom's camper is on her property) some small thing. I'll do a grocery gift card usually, that woman loves to grocery shop and cook! Next year I'll probably crochet my Mom and Aunt either a lap blanket or some fingerless gloves etc.

It's been difficult for me lately. My Mil is in assisted living and my Mom lives in a 5th wheel camper. So needless to say they don't really need anything nor do they have the room. Last year I crocheted my Mil a lap blanket. So for my Mom I usually get her( and my Aunt because my Mom's camper is on her property) some small thing. I'll do a grocery gift card usually, that woman loves to grocery shop and cook! Next year I'll probably crochet my Mom and Aunt either a lap blanket or some fingerless gloves etc.
I used to give my MIL grocery GCs. But, now I cook for her every Sunday and my SILs cook for her and send her take out. She doesn't cook for herself, nor does she grocery shop for herself anymore. She loved receiving those when she was more mobile.

I used to give my MIL grocery GCs. But, now I cook for her every Sunday and my SILs cook for her and send her take out. She doesn't cook for herself, nor does she grocery shop for herself anymore. She loved receiving those when she was more mobile.

It would be great if I lived closer. 2 + hrs from my MIL and about 18 from my Mom. Y'all are doing a great thing :)

It would be great if I lived closer. 2 + hrs from my MIL and about 18 from my Mom. Y'all are doing a great thing :)
You’re sweet. It’s what you do for family when you are able. My parents like when I make Sunday Sauce or a pot of soup because they get some, too. They can still make for themselves. Some day I will make food for them each week. It’s what they did for my grandparents, too.

You’re sweet. It’s what you do for family when you are able. My parents like when I make Sunday Sauce or a pot of soup because they get some, too. They can still make for themselves. Some day I will make food for them each week. It’s what they did for my grandparents, too.
You are absolutely right about it being what you do for family! I had my Mom close until about 4 yrs ago or so. But now she is back in NC near my sister in SC. They are the only close family I have left and sometimes I feel a bit lonely being the only one left in Texas. I'm not saying that overly sadly but I do miss the little things of being close :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter