***Post your questions and experiences with Coronavirus-related canceling/rescheduling of resort reservations here***

Any thoughts on if "better" offers will become available besides free dining for very limited dates that was just offered?
There is a free dining offer out, and there is also a resort room discount out. That's about as good as it gets for the general public. Not much more for them to offer.

An annual passholder resort room discount is currently only available until July 9th. If they could extend that to match the dates of the general public resort discount offer, it would be nice.

There is a free dining offer out, and there is also a resort room discount out. That's about as good as it gets for the general public. Not much more for them to offer.

An annual passholder resort room discount is currently only available until July 9th. If they could extend that to match the dates of the general public resort discount offer, it would be nice.
I assume you only one or the other, right? Room discount OR free dining?

I canceled my room-only rez on Monday and received the refund on my cc today. In case anyone's wondering how long it's actually taken to receive a refund.

I assume you only one or the other, right? Room discount OR free dining?
Yes, you choose one or the other.

If you are staying at a less-expensive resort, and have more than two "Disney adults" (people age 10 & up) going, then free dining is often the better deal.

If you are staying at a more expensive resort, and especially if you only have 1 or 2 "Disney adults" going, the resort discount is typically the better deal.

You just have to look at your plans and crunch the numbers to find out. Free dining also requires you to buy park hopper tickets as part of the package, so it's a non-starter if you're an annual passholder.

Last edited:

I also rented with DVC Rental Store for June and bought the PPP. I have until April 16th and will only pay $2.00 per point, then it goes to $4.00, then $8.00, then no refund. I hope to make a decision by early April, so I only lose the $200 - which is a good bit, so hopefully I can decide sooner than later. I am so glad I bought the PPP. There was a thread I was reading on FB with folks commenting, but I could not find it yesterday. I'm in a wait-and-see situation also (with everyone else). Good luck on your outcome!!

have you invoked it yet? Did you get your money back?

Rescheduled 5/15-20 to 7/10-15 with free dining. Saved us a lot of money. It was way easier than I was expecting. I only waited a few minutes. Summer isn't ideal but we'll make it work. I will be surprised if we actually go then though. Even if Disney is open we may be comfortable traveling yet.

Rescheduled 5/15-20 to 7/10-15 with free dining. Saved us a lot of money. It was way easier than I was expecting. I only waited a few minutes. Summer isn't ideal but we'll make it work. I will be surprised if we actually go then though. Even if Disney is open we may be comfortable traveling yet.
Good to have a plan but acknowledging the possible challenges is being realistic. Well Done.

Rescheduled our May 10-15 trip to September 7-14.
We upgraded from All Star Movies to Pop Century, added 2 days to our trip (and 2 extra days of park tickets), got the free dining, and STILL managed to be saving money from what we were going to spend in May - which is wild considering the fact that we had booked our May trip on a PIN code with a stupid good discount. I truly don't know how we did it.
I called around 11 AM CST and waited less than 30 minutes to speak to a CM.
Super disappointed to be rescheduling our trip, but glad they made it such a positive experience!

I am rescheduling for a group of 5 families, so we couldn't really go again til mid-April 2021. We were originally scheduled April 18 this year. I called and was quickly connected and talked to helpful agent. I booked a Basic Package for all of us and they were able to keep all my info in system with a $200 deposit for each room. Great! I'll add dining plan later this year after they're announced.
However, when I went on MDE to check that everything was done correctly (and it was as far as I can tell), I calculated what I still owe and the room rate appears to be 20% higher than 2020 rates (even more if I don't get a 10% discount again next year, which is very possible). I understand room rates/packages aren't priced til later this year--but do they just assume the highest possible nightly rate when you book this early? An almost 20% increase seems extreme. Hopefully I'm missing something.

I understand room rates/packages aren't priced til later this year--but do they just assume the highest possible nightly rate when you book this early? An almost 20% increase seems extreme. Hopefully I'm missing something.
Disney will use the rack rate for the most expensive week for each room from this year as a placeholder "estimate". Once the package prices are released for next year (2021), then you pricing will be adjusted.

Dave

Disney will use the rack rate for the most expensive week for each room from this year as a placeholder "estimate". Once the package prices are released for next year (2021), then you pricing will be adjusted.

Dave
Thanks! I appreciate the help. Glad there is a reason for the higher than expected price.

My room-only reservation was supposed to start yesterday. Got canceled yesterday. My gift card had the funds back on it this morning. Never been so sad about a refund in my life!

I had a somewhat challenging situation as i had bought tickets and my room separately from Undercover Tourist. Room was cancelled no issues and I had planned on just using my tickets this summer when we reschedule. Then Free dining came out and I wanted to take advantage as it was saving us a ton. Problem is you have to book the package and I already had tickets. I called dreams and they couldn't help me until / unless I get the tickets Refunded. UC is offering a 95% refund at this time due to corona but I got greedy. Called Guest Services and they were able to put in a request to refund at 100% (actual ticket value) to a gift card or check. Said it would take 3-5 days after putting in the request. I haven't seen anything yet but it's only been 3 days. Tickets are still on MDE.

Ended up booking 7 nights at Pop (up from the 5 nights we were going to do) and moved the Univeral stay to the end of the trip instead of the beginning (due to Easter). Universal rooms are $100/night cheaper too. 8/24-9/3. Only downside is I want to be leaving tomorrow instead of in three months and it's going to be hotter and wetter in august :(

I had a somewhat challenging situation as i had bought tickets and my room separately from Undercover Tourist. Room was cancelled no issues and I had planned on just using my tickets this summer when we reschedule. Then Free dining came out and I wanted to take advantage as it was saving us a ton. Problem is you have to book the package and I already had tickets. I called dreams and they couldn't help me until / unless I get the tickets Refunded. UC is offering a 95% refund at this time due to corona but I got greedy. Called Guest Services and they were able to put in a request to refund at 100% (actual ticket value) to a gift card or check. Said it would take 3-5 days after putting in the request. I haven't seen anything yet but it's only been 3 days. Tickets are still on MDE.

Ended up booking 7 nights at Pop (up from the 5 nights we were going to do) and moved the Univeral stay to the end of the trip instead of the beginning (due to Easter). Universal rooms are $100/night cheaper too. 8/24-9/3. Only downside is I want to be leaving tomorrow instead of in three months and it's going to be hotter and wetter in august :(
I've been to Disney twice the last week of August/early September. The weather is hot, but honestly it's not too bad! Just plan for heat and warm weather. Take mid-day breaks back at the hotel & swim. Or plan for indoors sitdown lunch in the AC. Crowds aren't too bad that time of year either. Would definitely visit again that time!

The park hours changed today to show the parks closed through 5/2, which was the first day of our trip, so I cancelled our May package for the Swan (booked through Costco Travel) and re-booked for December. For anyone who cares to read it, here's my re-booking experience.

As a backup plan just in case Costco wouldn't refund the park tickets, I had previously booked a room-only reservation directly with Marriott. I still planned to contact Costco once our dates were officially closed however, because, if I was able to get refunded for the park tickets, the room savings of booking a new Costco package vs the direct Marriott rate still resulted in a net savings of $1000, even though the park tickets in a new package would be more expensive.

So I gave Costco Travel a call. Despite a recorded message saying that there were higher than normal wait times, I was immediately connected to an agent. She said that the park tickets and hotel reservation were fully refundable, but that United's cancellation policies were for credit only, and that the credit would have to be used within 12 months of the date the tickets were originally issued (which would be August) unless United cancelled the flight altogether. I decided not to cancel my package at that time, so that I could look into what to do about the airline tickets.

I went to the United website and found that they had extended their refund policies through May 31, and increased the credit usage period to 24 months. Wanting to make sure that I got properly refunded (with the extended usage dates), I decided to contact United directly and cancel the flights. There was a bit of a hiccup with the refund, since I had booked through a 3rd party, however after a few minutes on hold, there were able to issue a credit certificate directly to me (to arrive via e-mail within 3-5 business days), and said it was usable for 12 months from today to book travel up to 24 months from today.

With the airline refund squared away, I called Costco back - again, no wait. I told the second agent I wanted to cancel the package, and he told me that United would charge a $500 fee for changing the flight (which I knew wasn't correct). I told him I'd already been issued a refund directly from United, and I just wanted to go ahead and cancel the rest of the package. He then insisted on checking the United cancellation policies again, despite what I'd told him, and after a couple of frustrating minutes on hold, he came back and repeated that my flights weren't within the cancellation waiver period (still not correct). When I reiterated that I'd already gotten a refund from United, he said "I heard you the first time." Finally, he processed the cancellation, and refunded me for the amount of the park tickets and the hotel.

I then booked a new package (without airline tickets) for the December dates through the Costco website.

Finally, I called Disney to get a refund for our Villains After Hours tickets, DiveQuest reservations, and Royal Tea Tour reservations since those dates have not been officially cancelled yet. The Disney CM said that they would all be automatically refunded to the same gift card I used, if I still had it. When I mentioned that they weren't cancelled yet, he said, "It's going to happen." Since we'd added funds for our food budget to the card I'd used, I asked if I needed to transfer funds off of the card to clear space for the refund due to the $1000 per gift card limit. He said that it wouldn't be an issue.

So that's my re-booking saga. Probably more detail than anyone wanted to read, but I thought i'd be thorough just in case it helps answer any questions someone might have had.

The park hours changed today to show the parks closed through 5/2, which was the first day of our trip, so I cancelled our May package for the Swan (booked through Costco Travel) and re-booked for December. For anyone who cares to read it, here's my re-booking experience.

As a backup plan just in case Costco wouldn't refund the park tickets, I had previously booked a room-only reservation directly with Marriott. I still planned to contact Costco once our dates were officially closed however, because, if I was able to get refunded for the park tickets, the room savings of booking a new Costco package vs the direct Marriott rate still resulted in a net savings of $1000, even though the park tickets in a new package would be more expensive.

So I gave Costco Travel a call. Despite a recorded message saying that there were higher than normal wait times, I was immediately connected to an agent. She said that the park tickets and hotel reservation were fully refundable, but that United's cancellation policies were for credit only, and that the credit would have to be used within 12 months of the date the tickets were originally issued (which would be August) unless United cancelled the flight altogether. I decided not to cancel my package at that time, so that I could look into what to do about the airline tickets.

I went to the United website and found that they had extended their refund policies through May 31, and increased the credit usage period to 24 months. Wanting to make sure that I got properly refunded (with the extended usage dates), I decided to contact United directly and cancel the flights. There was a bit of a hiccup with the refund, since I had booked through a 3rd party, however after a few minutes on hold, there were able to issue a credit certificate directly to me (to arrive via e-mail within 3-5 business days), and said it was usable for 12 months from today to book travel up to 24 months from today.

With the airline refund squared away, I called Costco back - again, no wait. I told the second agent I wanted to cancel the package, and he told me that United would charge a $500 fee for changing the flight (which I knew wasn't correct). I told him I'd already been issued a refund directly from United, and I just wanted to go ahead and cancel the rest of the package. He then insisted on checking the United cancellation policies again, despite what I'd told him, and after a couple of frustrating minutes on hold, he came back and repeated that my flights weren't within the cancellation waiver period (still not correct). When I reiterated that I'd already gotten a refund from United, he said "I heard you the first time." Finally, he processed the cancellation, and refunded me for the amount of the park tickets and the hotel.

I then booked a new package (without airline tickets) for the December dates through the Costco website.

Finally, I called Disney to get a refund for our Villains After Hours tickets, DiveQuest reservations, and Royal Tea Tour reservations since those dates have not been officially cancelled yet. The Disney CM said that they would all be automatically refunded to the same gift card I used, if I still had it. When I mentioned that they weren't cancelled yet, he said, "It's going to happen." Since we'd added funds for our food budget to the card I'd used, I asked if I needed to transfer funds off of the card to clear space for the refund due to the $1000 per gift card limit. He said that it wouldn't be an issue.

So that's my re-booking saga. Probably more detail than anyone wanted to read, but I thought i'd be thorough just in case it helps answer any questions someone might have had.
You deserve a glass of wine or at least a strong coffee after that. Well done.

I'm probably overthinking this, but if you cancel a reservation and the deposit was made by gift card, is there going to be any issue refunding it to a gift card that is currently at the standard $1000 limit. Will the refund just be added without issue?

I'm probably overthinking this, but if you cancel a reservation and the deposit was made by gift card, is there going to be any issue refunding it to a gift card that is currently at the standard $1000 limit. Will the refund just be added without issue?
This was discussed earlier in this thread. Poster was told no.

Getting frustrated with United. Cancelled my flight on 4/7 after our upcoming dates were officially closed and I was told that I would get a credit certificate via email in "3 to 5 business days." After 5 business days, I had not received the email, so I called back and I was told that they were backlogged, and that it was taking "up to 7 business days." So I waited, and still no email. I called back today (after 10 business days, and 14 calendar days), and I was now told "21 business days." 😡

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!