Potential Dumb Question: New Member - Does Waitlist tie up your points?

Justplainchy

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone. We're brand new members, with a pretty low point contract (100 pt at CCV). We're trying to set up our first vacation for Sept. 25th-29th on points and we'd love to stay at our "home" resort. Of course, it's very popular and we'd like a studio or 1 bedroom (also popular) and it's sold out for those dates. We usually will be planning 11 months out, but these are points we have to use before October since they lumped in 2018's points as a purchase incentive and we were already planning on a trip this long weekend.

Long story short: I'd like to join the waitlist for CCV, but if I do that, will it, in effect, make those points unusable? I know the waitlist will time out at 31 days, but I'm not willing to wait quite that long since waitlist is so unsure and I don't want to just bank on us getting it. Basically - if I go on the waitlist, can I also book somewhere else and then switch to the waitlist room if it comes up? Or do I have to have borrowing set up for it to pull from?

Does this make any sense at all?

Waitlists do not tie up points. You can book elsewhere if you can find something available and then waitlist CCV and set it up to replace the exisiting reservation so it uses the points you have going towards that.

Back tracking a little bit - it sounds like you purchased an October UY. As Oct is still in it's 2018 UY those are the points you received. Those points are eligible to be banked up until May 31, 2019 and could then be used for stays from Oct 1, 2019-Sept 30, 2020. Just an FYI so you are aware you shouldn't be in a use them or lose them scenario of you don't wish to be.

As Bill mentioned there is a program for new members to book a first reservation. It has to be a reservation occuring up to 6 months in advance and does still depend on availablility. It is called the Welcome Home Reservation and I believe MS can even handle it for you. If you have already booked something though with your membership then you are no longer eligible for the Welcome Home booking.

Just wanted to come back and thank you both for your wonderful advice! Called to do our Welcome Home Reservation and they were able to find a studio at CCV for our dates! We were amazed. Thanks for the tips, they were really appreciated!!

Just wanted to come back and thank you both for your wonderful advice! Called to do our Welcome Home Reservation and they were able to find a studio at CCV for our dates! We were amazed. Thanks for the tips, they were really appreciated!!
But don't plan on that happening a second time. It's a first trip only perk for direct points. And sometimes they can't get you the resort you really want.

But don't plan on that happening a second time. It's a first trip only perk for direct points. And sometimes they can't get you the resort you really want.

Thank you for the heads up. We figured it was a one-time pixie dust sort of thing. We'll usually book 11 months out, but we wanted to replace a trip we had already paid out of pocket for with points for this year! And, as I said above we were worried about use-or-lose, but thankfully I was corrected on that! I really appreciate the help, you guys rock!

That’s great news!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!