Potty training toddler in Disney...foldable potty seat

RIDisney179

Earning My Ears
We need to take a seat for the hotel room. Anyone have recommendations of which to bring? Are those foldable seats worth it for inside the park? It seems gross to carry it along from toilet to toilet :/

They were for us many moons ago. I would fold it up and put it into a plastic zip-loc bag, wipe it after each use with a clorox wipe (we brought the ones that came in a travel pack). I would also recommend bringing a pack of sticky-notes to cover the sensor on the auto-flushers. My kids were very sensitive to them when they were potty training. In fact one time when my now 12 year old was potty training we were at Wal Mart and I lost my keys (car, house, everything!) to a powerful auto-flusher when she freaked out at it. Makes a funny story now, but then it wasn't.

Good luck!

I wouldn't bring a potty seat into the parks. When we were potty training I'd just set the kid on the pot and kind of hold them steady. If they stayed towards the front where it gets closer together they were fine.

I used the folding seat with my first child, and did the Clorox wipe/zip lock bag method that another poster did. I didn't bother with it when the other kids came along - too much stuff to lug around. I just held them on the seat - either close to the front like a PP mentioned or sitting sideways on the seat with their feet facing the side of the stall instead of the door.

We used the Potette 2 n 1 when potty training, I just happened upon it when the store didn't have what I needed. It ended up being her only potty, and it was extremely easy to use and carry for car trips (she was afraid of the automatic flush when she was training.) It folds flat, and you can use it over the seat or as a stand alone potty with disposable bags. When needed, it would fit in the diaper bag or the bottom of the stroller storage.

My older daughter basically potty trained during our Disney cruise and trip. We carried around a full size potty seat in a bag for her. It was a Prince Lionheart weepod Basix. A bit cumbersome to carry, but lightweight. It's a snug fit, but it fits inside a Planetwise wet/dry bag. I tried the small folding ones with her but she never liked them. The Potette Plus was ok, but it had to sit too far back on the public toilets so her legs were sticking straight out. We eventually found the OXO Tot Go Potty and she liked that. It's similar to the Potette, but you can put it towards the front of the toilet.

to OP: one thing to do while training at home is visit a local park and the mall a number of time to get you child used to the autoflush toilets. the noise from one next to your child plus the possible flushing of his can cause more problems than not having a small potty seat on top

I'm thinking I'm going to bring a potty seat just for the hotel. Like the one we have at home - the padded seat. Luckily I have a boy and he's easy in the bathroom and doesn't have to sit! And he will do his #2 right when he wakes up and then he's good for the day. So hopefully he won't have to do that in the parks (but my luck he will! haha) but I think I will just hold him on the seat. I have toilet seat covers I ordered that are really long in the front that almost hang down to the floor so his legs don't touch the front of the toilet. Yes I'm a germaphobe and it freaks me out! Doesn't bother him he loves to touch everything in the bathroom and I'm always yelling don't touch anything!!!!

And some toilet seat covers are not flushable and will clog the toilet - so make sure which ones you buy!

We have the potette seat and love it. I have used it with all 3 of my kids. I have a newly 2 year old, and recently bought a minnie seat that folded into quarters, and HATED it!! My daughter hated it too. It didn't stay put well, would slide around the toilet , and sometimes fold up some. Get a potette, lysol wipes and a bag.

Also, not sure how long you are into the potty training process, but I have found my kids would only need the seat the first month of so, after that they would be comfortable with my holding them on the seat. So you may not need it.

Another big fan of the Potette 2 in 1. It worked on the airplane, in the hotel, in the car. Plus when there were automatic flushers, I just popped a bag onto it and set it onto the floor. Another tip for automatic flushers, put a post it note over the sensor.

We have done both. We used the potty seat in the hotel (yes we cleaned it and still stored it in a bag) and then used the foldable seat for the parks and I put it in a zip lock bag.

With my 3rd kid, she was a bit heavier and older so I just used the disposable covers.

When we did this I brought the foldable seat. It was a pain but my child was terrified of falling in and I had already struggled to get her this far with potty training. I also brought a lot of extra underwear just in case. Good luck and have fun! We had a great time.

One idea that I used with my youngest (who was a true pain to potty train) was to put a pull-up on over his regular underwear. We did that on long trips and in situations when I did not want to compromise my efforts , yet did not want to deal with frequent clothes changes and messes of accidents. I am one of those that would never carry a foldable seat at WDW. I trained both of mine to a regular toilet and taught my boys to stand from day one. SOOOO much easier with all the traveling we do. I have not problem taking a little one to WDW in diapers, but was very careful to plan any trips around potty training. That is the best advice I have. If you have not started training yet and are close to the trip, I would wait. If you are training and trip is coming fast, I would just try to switch to using the regular toilet.

We did pull ups over panties for the plane ride/ long bus ride. I also carry a little pad of sticky note to cover Auto Flush sensors. My now 6 year STILL hates them going off while still on the potty. We used a folding seat in our room, but I just held her up while in the parks.

I completely agree with "bad mom"! We delayed potty training with my youngest daughter until after our spring break trip to Disney. Sounds like your little boy will be ok if he only needs to stand and aim! Just take lots of antibacterial wipes! ;)

When DD was 2, she absolutely would not sit on a toilet without the potty seat on it. She was too scared she would fall in. We planned on potty training her after our WDW trip. She had other ideas and trained herself less than a month before the trip. So, we had the fold up Sesame Street potty seat in a plastic bag, which we dragged out every time she went to the bathroom at WDW in the parks and at the resort, along with lots of sanitizing wipes, probably Lysol wipes if I remember right, and hand sanitizer. It worked really well. I'm a total germaphope, so I was not crazy about it (I probably washed my hands 5 times and used a bucket of hand sanitizer every time I wiped the thing and folded it back up in the parks), but for us, the foldable seat in the parks was a necessity. I'm pretty sure without it, she would have just held it until she had an accident on the sidewalk!

I wanted to add that when we didn't have the potette, I would just kind of hold my leg forward and she would hold onto it to steady herself, and I think she liked the contact in the 'huge' public restrooms. If we walked in, though, and other people had those toilets flushing, oh boy was she outta there lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter