Powerchair in the Rain

YodaGirl

DIS Veteran
Very rarely have we gone to WDW and not dealt with rain. When I bought my Fold & Go, one of the selling points was that it is weatherproof. Due to worsening health issues, I've needed to upgrade, and my new Permobil m3 is on order. It's obviously not weatherproof.

It poured down rain during our last trip to our local theme park, and we've been to Disney when it has had monsoon-like rain all week. What do you do if it rains heavily all week or even just all day? For typical daily showers, it'd be easy enough to wait it out in a shop or something, but you can't stay there all day. Is there a way to not ruin your chair and still enjoy (as best you can in the rain) your vacation?

I'm sure @SueM in MN will have some really thoughtful information for you, but the main things I have learned with my folding power chair are to keep the controller/joystick dry, as well as battery connections if at all possible. For example, I just use a shower cap over the joystick, and blue painters tape to help keep the 2 main openings into the battery tray dry.

Obvi, don't drive through big puddles; my personal rule of thumb is no deeper than the bottom of the frame of the chair.

Use ponchos (multiple if you like) to cover both yourself and the chair. I like to put my poncho on, pull it over the seat to drape down the back, and then drape the sides as best I can. Usually stay fairly dry this way.

Protecting the joystick is the most important. Also, don’t even attempt going through puddles so the motors don’t get wet.

I would be reluctant to go through much of a puddle, especially at any speed. physical obstacle clearance is 3 inches, less with qn ez-lock.

I do wish there was better water protection for the base, such as a (improved) gasket.

The poncho may be the best idea, here.

Talk to the manufacturer or the place you bought it from, too. Maybe, they have suggestions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter