Practical Comfort vs. Convenience & Bucket List

Tbone17701

Disney Dreamer
So, we're booked at the GCH (Premium Pool View for 3 adults & 15 yr old), but just gave the last minute okay for our daughter to invite a friend. Yes, we're suckers.::yes:: We're WDW regulars, but this is our rookie trip to DL. This trip with a stay at GCH are bucket list items for me and the convenience of the GCH is a factor for my mother who will likely break from the parks frequently. However, the thought of the 5 of us in one room with one bathroom for 5 nights is a making me cringe a bit and there isn't anything larger available to upgrade to at the GCH (we arrive in two weeks). The DLH is not available either. I do see a One Bedroom Suite available at PPH, but the added space and extra bathroom sure seems to come with some pretty big trade offs overall with regard to the hotels themselves and definitely with location to the parks. My main concern is...is it really a 15 minute walk to the parks and how is the ease and safety of that walk for my mother if so? We can suck it up and make the GCH work, but it will take some team work for sure. I guess I'm just looking for input on what you folks would do having been there and knowing the lay of the land? Am I making a bigger deal of the trade offs between GCH and PPH including location than I should be?:confused3

Regarding GCH...adjust your reservation to 5 adults and you will likely get the two Queen bed with twin sofa bed configuration. One advantage of the GCH room layout is that the toilet and shower are in a separate room then the sink is in a semi private area with two sinks so it is possible for everyone to be getting ready at the same time and everyone is not waiting for the bathroom.

PPH rooms are an all in one bathroom.

Walk from PPH to gates is about 6-8 min for an able bodied adult, not 15.

Even though a bit smaller, the advantage to the GHC is proximity. When we stay there we pop in and out of the rooms at will. When we stay at DLH or PPH, we typically leave the room and do not retune till end of day and will often even get a locker for jackets and such so we do not need to hike all the way back.

Last edited:
In your situation I would absolutely take the 1BD suite at Paradise Pier. All three hotels are within walking distance of each other. It's like the distance between the Yacht Club and the Boardwalk. The GCH is the "premiere" hotel, but the rooms are pretty small compared to DLH and PP. If the DLH was an option that would be a nice "in between" since it's not, I would go with the PP.

We stay at the PPH often, there are rooms in the GCH that are so far down a corridor that it can Seem further than the walk from PPH to the parks. For comfort, I would just do the PPH, unless you really plan on spending time in the pool. GCH pool is better by far.

In your situation I would absolutely take the 1BD suite at Paradise Pier. All three hotels are within walking distance of each other. It's like the distance between the Yacht Club and the Boardwalk. The GCH is the "premiere" hotel, but the rooms are pretty small compared to DLH and PP. If the DLH was an option that would be a nice "in between" since it's not, I would go with the PP.

The example of the distance between YC and BW is very helpful, so thanks much for that!

It looks like PPH is literally across the street from GCH? Can you walk through GCH and use that entrance to DCA or is that strictly for GCH guests? That route would ease my mind a bit for my mom's solo walks.

It looks like PPH is literally across the street from GCH? Can you walk through GCH and use that entrance to DCA or is that strictly for GCH guests? That route would ease my mind a bit for my mom's solo walks.

You cannot cut through GCH to get to the parks. While non hotel guests may be able to use the GCH entrance to DCA (especially after the morning), access through the front of the GCH is restricted to hotel guests only. PPH guests must walk up to the security checkpoint at the end of DTD by the DLH. You used to be able to take this shortcut and periodically people do report the gate that prevents you from doing so is left open but I would not count on it.

That said, you can take the shortcut through the GCH when leaving the parks to head back to PPH, just not the other way around.

Personally I would stay at the GCH but I'm a sucker for that hotel but I also think the proximity will be better for your mom. On the other hand, the lobby of the GCH is lovely and anyone can go there so even if you go with PPH it might be an option for your mom to take some breaks there and not head all the way back to the room.

I'd also suggest you keep checking availability (like possibly even multiple times a day) as things do change.

I love the GCH, but for your group I'd suggest the 1 bedroom at PPH. I'd feel so cramped with 5 people in a room at GCH. Having only one bathroom would be tough too (especially since you have a 15 year old!).

The walk from PPH isn't bad at all, and you can cut through GCH on the way back to hotel (just not entering -- as others have mentioned).

I also agree with a PP to keep checking DLH and GCH every day for a possible cancellation for a 1 bedroom there.

Have you looked at renting DVC points to stay at the Grand... I know some of those rooms have more space/bathrooms.

I normally would not pick the grand over the DLH or PPH, but in this case, I would. For the ease of going back and forth for your mom. I would call and see if you could request the rooms with the daybed. While the bathroom situation may be cramped, at least the sinks are separated from the toilet/shower. So people can be getting ready while someone else showers. Have a great trip!

Also ... plan it such that some people shower at night vs in the morning or during a break in the day. That way not everyone is trying to get through the shower first thing.

The rooms at GCH aren't much smaller. They are 353 sq ft. PPH rooms are 364 sq ft. DLH rooms are either 364 or 415 sq ft.

I don't think the walk is bad from any of the hotels, but I will say when we stayed at DLH last year, everytime we walked by GCH I promised myself we'd stay there next trip. The convenience to DCA is obvious, but even to Disneyland Park it's less than 5 minutes. It took us at a decent clip about 9-10 minutes to walk from DLH. At the end of the day, that would go to about 12-14 minutes because we were so tired.

In the OP's case, she'd actually be better off getting a room at Courtyard Theme Park Entrance. That room is like 560 sq ft and will cost probably 1/3 the price of a 1 bedroom at PPH. Or, 2 rooms at Howard Johnson. If comparing to PPH that is.

5 adults in a two bed room with one Bathroom? You are indeed brave. Let us know how it works out :)
This sounds like living hell to me and we did something similar at WDW for ONE night. We had 3 adults ant 2 small children in a similar size room at Port Orleans....One time was enough to learn our lesson.

Out of curiosity, why would you pick DLH and PPH or GCH?
Favorite is the DLH (pool and grounds) and prefer the room size and brightness at the PPH over the Grand. We like having the extra bed at the PPH. Plus, the Grand is just SO expensive! It's a lovely hotel and if I won a trip there I would most definitely be super excited....I just would choose PPH or DLH over the grand if paying myself.

If GCH was my bucket list hotel I would book a second room (for the teens-probably adjoining). I would not settle on the experience by being cramped. I don’t stay on-site at DLR anymore. My bucket list hotel is/was Contemporary at WDW.

Favorite is the DLH (pool and grounds) and prefer the room size and brightness at the PPH over the Grand. We like having the extra bed at the PPH. Plus, the Grand is just SO expensive! It's a lovely hotel and if I won a trip there I would most definitely be super excited....I just would choose PPH or DLH over the grand if paying myself.

I gotcha. I loved the Disneyland Hotel. Staying at the GCH in April. Nervous but excited. Location is awesome and it looks very peaceful, like Wilderness Lodge. Will miss the Disney touches all through the DLH though.

It's doable, but you might find other things more suitable. Since you have someone who will want to go back to the room often, I'd do my best to stick it out. I've stayed there with 4 adults in a room and swore I'd never do that again. That was more about the people (one person in particular) who were in the room. We had one person who would poop for nearly an hour and shower for an hour. Not kidding. I would need to go to the public toilets in the hotel. So, if you set a time limit on bathroom time, that might help.

Another thought is getting a cheaper room close by that has larger rooms with 2 bathrooms. Some are as close or closer than Paradise Pier.

Candy Cane Inn and The Majestic Garden have their own shuttles. You could get 2 rooms at one of those places and your mother can take the shuttle back and forth.

The Grand is really the best for someone who needs to take breaks and doesn't want to do a lot of walking. I hardly spend anytime in the room, but 5 nights with 5 people would be difficult. Maybe have some shower schedule set up or something. I can't imagine waiting for 4 other people to use the toilet and take a shower if I was ready to get going.

Thanks so much for all of the input! It kind of feels like a tie, but I did gather bits and pieces from each response to take back to the family. Unfortunately, we're locked in a split decision right now with 2 not budging on GCH and 2 willing to compromise on the location for the added space at PPH (the tag-a-long doesn't get a vote;)). If this were WDW, it would be so much easier to give up the dream hotel because we'd know we'd be back. First world problems. I don't really want to spend any more than we already are, so that rules out renting DVC points due to the discount I have now and getting a second room at GCH. I am definitely going to keep checking for DLH or something larger at GCH to open because I'm too darn stubborn to give up staying onsite despite knowing it's not the same experience as it is at WDW. I don't even have a good excuse beyond being thick-headed about it!:blush: In the mean time, I will keep at the negotiations and see what shakes out. At the end of the day, we're at Disneyland, so that should trump all!:thumbsup2

So, we're booked at the GCH (Premium Pool View for 3 adults & 15 yr old), but just gave the last minute okay for our daughter to invite a friend. Yes, we're suckers.::yes:: We're WDW regulars, but this is our rookie trip to DL. This trip with a stay at GCH are bucket list items for me and the convenience of the GCH is a factor for my mother who will likely break from the parks frequently. However, the thought of the 5 of us in one room with one bathroom for 5 nights is a making me cringe a bit and there isn't anything larger available to upgrade to at the GCH (we arrive in two weeks). The DLH is not available either. I do see a One Bedroom Suite available at PPH, but the added space and extra bathroom sure seems to come with some pretty big trade offs overall with regard to the hotels themselves and definitely with location to the parks. My main concern is...is it really a 15 minute walk to the parks and how is the ease and safety of that walk for my mother if so? We can suck it up and make the GCH work, but it will take some team work for sure. I guess I'm just looking for input on what you folks would do having been there and knowing the lay of the land? Am I making a bigger deal of the trade offs between GCH and PPH including location than I should be?:confused3

We stay at the Grand. I have a bad hip, and by the end of the night, every step is extremely painful. We have 17 year old triplets that we tell them, no complaining. They know if they want to go to DL they need to make it work. I think your mom would like the walk back to the Grand and perhaps resting on the balcony. We like to relax and watch the monorail go by. Plus, there are chairs by a fireplace (since they keep it so cold in there), plus a piano player.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter