Pray for Dom, who is in a coma-Update 8/29/2017 -Post 544-page 28

Discussion in 'Community Board' started by TeresaNJ, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Mokat76

Mokat76 DisKat

So sorry things are going in this direction.

TeresaNJ likes this.
  2. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

This is such a shame. Does he seem at least clean and comfortable? I feel so sad for everyone.

Twilight Sparkle and TeresaNJ like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. TeresaNJ

TeresaNJ Full time stay at home crafter!

Thank you.

He's very clean, but he seemed extremely uncomfortable. I know during the day he's put in a special wheelchair and placed in the hallway next to the wall, turned toward the dining room windows. I hate that. I haven't seen it, as I mostly go in the evening, but my sister has, and my husband. They can keep an eye on him from the nurses' station, I guess. It's like he's a plant or something. :sad1:

5. PollyannaMom

PollyannaMom I was a click-clack champ!!

:hug:

I'm so sorry about the lack of stimulation from the staff, but I could tell in the video that you're doing a great job. I definitely felt like he was trying to communicate!!

Are only family allowed to visit? If not, I was thinking about something. - Around here, high school kids have community service requirements. I wonder if that's also true where the facility is located? If it is, maybe you could get a couple of kids to go in on days when you can't, and play music or watch TV with Dom or something like that?

6. Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle DIS Veteran

I like PollyannaMom's suggestion. What a gift that could be if it is allowed. I wish we lived nearby. I would take turns visiting Dom. Hugs to you and your precious nephew.

TeresaNJ likes this.
  7. macraven

macraven Proud Redhead Moderator

Happy to see your post

Sad to read it has become two steps backward for Dom

You are a saint for all the attention and care you and your family are providing

Continuing lifting Dom and family up in prayers

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    TeresaNJ likes this.
  8. TeresaNJ

That is an amazing idea!!! I will definitely look into it!

Thank you so much! Incredibly sweet of you!

Thank you, macraven!

9. bellebud

bellebud DIS Veteran

I was thinking the same thing! A church group might do it too, or a homeschool group.

And thank you so much for sharing Dom's story of addiction. No one will judge him for that, but it truly might help someone else who reads it. My dh's younger brother died a drug-related death when the brother was 18 (and we were in our early 20's). This was about 25 years ago. My 20yo foster son was doing a lot of pills over the past year, and has been clean (from pills, he still smokes pot though) as far as I know for the past couple of months. But it's so scary to me. We even had an intervention with him, which didn't help. He needed to want to stop the pills on his own. Anyway, there are very few of us who are without hard times, and Dom's sound like they were very hard for him.

You sound like such an amazing aunt, and your husband an amazing uncle. Dom is very lucky to have you both in his life. The video of him responding to you brought me to tears. I'm praying for progress and comfort for Dom. Many, many hugs to you. :hug:

10. anniemae

anniemae Either she is eating a delicious

Sorry about the latest update on Dom. Hang in there. It's so hard with family sometimes, everyone wants the best for him, but everybody has different ideas and expectations. You are doing a wonderful job of advocating for him. Don't ever give up. Dom seems like such a gentle soul. I will pray for all of you. Hugs. :grouphug:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    TeresaNJ and PollyannaMom like this.
  11. diznygirl

diznygirl <font color=701e72>I have a symmetry thing<br><fon

This is sad and frustrating for you. All you can do is keep repeating that you think Meadow View is a better facility and you think it's best if she starts things long term.

Hugs to you for hanging in there and being a good aunt to Dom. Looks like he likes having you there. :)

TeresaNJ likes this.
  12. Dan Murphy

Dan Murphy We are family.

Very sad viewing the videos, Teresa. Bring tears, seriously. Hoping Dom's mom comes around as to what is best for him, now.

You and Harry are so, so good. :hug:'s for you both. Continued prayers for you all, especially Dom.

TeresaNJ likes this.
  13. low-key

low-key DIS Veteran

lets pray for a quantum leap jump , it could happen

TeresaNJ and Sabeking like this.
  14. Sabeking

Sabeking DIS Veteran

Oh Teresa my heart hurts for you guys!!! What a wonderful idea PollyannaMom has. We have a college youth group and that would be right up their alley. I am truly praying for you all Teresa. This Wednesday I am doing a fast during this Holy Week. I will spend some of my prayer time specifically for your family. Prayers for strength, hope, changes in hearts and circumstances. :hug: I will also share this with my prayer partners!

TeresaNJ and PollyannaMom like this.
  15. flyingdumbo127

flyingdumbo127 DIS Veteran

I would also visit Dom! Prayers continued for him and you and the rest of your family, Teresa, God Bless you all!

TeresaNJ likes this.
  16. Uncranky Donald

Uncranky Donald Everything is Temporary!

@TeresaNJ I first send Dom,you and your family all the good energy and love I possibly can. I started following this thread a couple months ago and sending good vibes like many other wonderful posters here on the DIS. I now know after your recent post why I was so drawn to your story though. This was my life...and unfortunately where Dom started leads to drugs even harder..where I ended up. Though I am a lucky one who got out. I think bringing stories like this to light can help more addicts be the very rare 10% that get out like me. You are so very right, secrets are damaging, I know this, I lived this. You have all my respect, love, compassion, empathy, good energy and prayers for the journey that is and is ahead. Dom will forever be on my mind for so many reasons close to my heart :hug: Again, SO much love headed your way.

NFLDERS, gemini2727, TeresaNJ and 2 others like this.
  17. superme80

superme80 DIS Veteran

I'm so sorry. I love reading your updates. Good or bad we still want to know. Thank you for letting us know. :hug:

TeresaNJ and Sabeking like this.
  18. AnnaS

AnnaS DIS Sponsoor/Veteran

This must be so frustrating for you. Keep up the visits and stimulating him. You are doing a great job. I wish we lived closer also. I would definitely look for volunteers. I can't imagine what he must be going through. Does he/do you think he blinks once for no and twice for yes? Can he squeeze/make any touch with his hands/fingers. He looks like he is definitely trying to communicate. Can he be taken outside with a family member? Keep fighting for him. Not easy - hang in there.

TeresaNJ likes this.
  19. TeresaNJ

Thank you so much. I'm so sorry your family had to deal with a tragedy like his also. I hope & pray your foster son remains clean. From what I've been reading, once addicted, it is such a tough road to get clean and stay clean. All these stories just break my heart.

Thank you, anniemae. You are so correct, Dom is a gentle soul. That's what makes this even more tragic. That he followed this path is just so unimaginable to me.

Thank you for the advice & support. I appreciate it.

Thanks, Dan. I pray she comes around too, before Dom ends up in a facility that will be detrimental to him. Thank you so much for your hugs & prayers. I don't know why I've been so emotional over this lately, but I am, more now than ever.

Thank you! You're right. All things are possible.

You are so sweet, and I know you would. Thank you, friend.

Thank you so much for sharing your story, & for your love & support. I'm so happy for you that you are a survivor of this horrible disease! I've been following a page on Facebook called Anthony's Act. It brings me to tears every day reading story after story from families & those addicted, and those who've somehow been able to escape. I've got four grandsons, three of whom are little guys right now, but one is a pre-teen, with severe ADHD and many emotional issues. I'm scared for him, now, and hope and pray this epidemic is stopped before the little guys become teens.

Thank you. I was afraid if I didn't continue to post feel good posts about Dom, my DIS friends would stop following & forget about him. I don't want Dom to be forgotten.

Thank you. It's so hard to tell with blinks. It's very subjective, and not considered reliable. No matter how much Dom's mom says he responds to her with blinks, it isn't considered a measurable response, so therefore, not considered when the insurance company physicians are making their decision as to whether he is progressing. The only way eye blinking is considered to be communicating is if we gave Dom a command such as hold your eyes closed until we say to open them. Everyone blinks reflexively, so it really is impossible to measure one blink and two blinks, and so on. He'd have to hold the blink, and he doesn't do that. He also doesn't squeeze, touch, etc. We've tried, trust me, as have all his therapists. I pray for the day I ask him to squeeze my hand and he does. It's just been recently that he seems to vocalize when he hears us talk to him. He's done it before in the past, but not as much as he is now. He doesn't do it until we say something, or turn a specific song on. He can be taken outside, and we did it a lot when he was at Linwood when he first came back from Florida, and then at Health South, & Meadow View. They are one story facilities, so easy to take him out, and they have nice outdoor areas. Where he is now it's virtually impossible to take him outside.

20. TeresaNJ

Thank you so much! I can't ever explain adequately how much this means to me.

21. wilkeliza

wilkeliza DIS Veteran

Just wanted to stop by and tell you I have been thinking of you and Dom. Hope things are well and Dom is where he needs to be.

TeresaNJ likes this.