Prayers, happy thoughts,....etc

katy621

My DH & I are going to WDW in October. I have been suffering from sciatica in my right side. I been through bouts of mild depression and my physical therapy hasn't been that helpful. I get exhausted when I walk which is why this Tuesday, 9/11, I hope to be getting a cortisone shot. I didn't want to be tired when we're walking around. I hate sciatica. I can't tone up like I was doing before. I just hope that this will be helping with the pain. Thank you.

I had sciatica so bad that I ended up in ER. The pain was excruciating. I had the shots 8 years ago and have never had a problem since. Good luck.

Sciatica can be SO painful - cortisone shots can work wonders on all sorts of issues so fingers crossed that this works well for you!

Yep it is awful. I have it - often both legs now. Hopefully the shot works for you.

My DH & I are going to WDW in October. I have been suffering from sciatica in my right side. I been through bouts of mild depression and my physical therapy hasn't been that helpful. I get exhausted when I walk which is why this Tuesday, 9/11, I hope to be getting a cortisone shot. I didn't want to be tired when we're walking around. I hate sciatica. I can't tone up like I was doing before. I just hope that this will be helping with the pain. Thank you.

Our daughter is currently suffering through (another) round of sciatica. Luckily you have some time to get your flare under control.

We just got home (today!) from WDW; some of the things she did to help were...

...use the hot tub at the Resort! She hopped into that thing and didn't leave until she had to. The hot water helped relax all those muscles that get tense during a flare, and it also helps some of her other issues as a bonus.

...wore proven, broken in, comfortable shoes. Now is NOT the time to try a new style of shoe!

...worked with her physical therapist prior to the trip to find stretches and movements that would help, and learned how to use a foam roller properly. She also brought along a limited Rx (literally 1 for each day we were there) of muscle relaxants just in case she needed them, since she tends to go into muscle spasms during her sciatica events.

I would encourage you to try and find a physical therapist who "gets" you and your problem - it took me several tries, but once I found the right person, my progress was amazing, and I have been able to hold on to a lot of the progress I made even after "graduating" from PT. The location that my PT is at even allows me to go in and work out anytime for a flat monthly fee that they call "personal aftercare" where I can still talk with her, and use all of the equipment (including the water therapy pool, which literally saved me).

Probably the hardest thing for me to do has been to learn to advocate for myself and my own health care. We are often conditioned to accept whatever a person in a position of authority has to say, and as a result, we don't give the kind of feedback that we should to medical professionals (and others). The day I finally got sick and tired of paying for - and being further injured by - terrible physical therapy, I quit that location, called my doctor's office, left a message and told them that I would be in charge of finding my own PT, and I would let them know where to send the Rx - that day I took control of my recovery, and since then I have gotten results, without adding further pain, and with someone who is not just my therapist but also my coach, and advocates/interfaces for what I need with my medical team.

My wish - my hope - for you is that the injection works, and that you find a PT who "fits" you, and your condition better.

For decades I mistakenly thought that back pain was just a bad ache. OMG - when I had sciatic pain it was like an acute pain in a nerve in a tooth 24/7. Hideously painful with zero relief. I now understand and empathize. I have a degenerative nerve disease (without a name as yet - I'm having a spinal tap on Wed.) that causes me to have little control over my legs - but fortunately I have no pain. I am so thankful for that. I can deal with not being able to walk.

May all of you get relief.

Last edited:

Mamabunny, you talking about PT makes me think of when I had to go to PT after breaking my back. (I slipped on the ice on a concrete staircase in Jan 2016, landed on my tailbone and crushed my vertebrae in my mid back. I then slid down the entire staircase!) My POTS was really intense at that time and pretty much just standing up would make me start to pass out. Walking more than a few steps was out of the question. When I went to PT the woman refused to listen to me about my POTS and every time I saw her, she repeated that she was going to make me start walking, until I just refused to go back! At the time, we were doing pool exercises and I was almost passing out even in the pool. It was a terrible experience!

I feel for all of you with intense back pain. I've never had sciatica but I can only imagine after breaking my back. Thoughts and prayers for all of you <3
Beth

When I went to PT the woman refused to listen to me about my POTS and every time I saw her, she repeated that she was going to make me start walking, until I just refused to go back!
When I started having mobility issues I became LIVID at the people who told me just to do PT to build up the muscles for the non-working parts of my body. It is NOT a MUSCLE ISSUE. It is nerves that do not work. There is NOTHING that I can do with PT to get the nerves to send instructions to the muscles. Would you tell a paraplegic to just go do PT and they would be able to walk again? I am a big believer in PT - it helps with so many things - but it does not restore dead nerves.

I got sciatica when I was pregnant and it persisted for a long time after because I had changed my walking pattern. This caused the muscle to put pressure on the nerve. I found an amazing massage therapist who really knew what she was doing. She was able to massage the muscle off of the nerve. I had it come back a few times until I learned to readjust the way I walked so I went to her a few of times. It was amazing the instant relief I got from that. It goes with the PT, but I believe that many physical therapist think it is beneath them to give massages, even when it helps the issue. Look around for a good massage person. I would also look into what is causing yours.

I got sciatica when I was pregnant and it persisted for a long time after because I had changed my walking pattern. This caused the muscle to put pressure on the nerve. I found an amazing massage therapist who really knew what she was doing. She was able to massage the muscle off of the nerve. I had it come back a few times until I learned to readjust the way I walked so I went to her a few of times. It was amazing the instant relief I got from that. It goes with the PT, but I believe that many physical therapist think it is beneath them to give massages, even when it helps the issue. Look around for a good massage person. I would also look into what is causing yours.

Yes - massage therapy can help, as can "dry needling" (think: accupuncture) and other "hands on" manipulative techniques. I always advocate for finding a PT, simply because they have been trained in biomechanics. All of the PT staff at the location I attend will happily utilize massage, or whatever technique is best for each patient - and that is the key. They don't have a "one size fits all" mentality, instead focusing on what is best for each person. In my case, they found quickly that I responded best to dry needling and water therapy, where another patient who had very similar issues to me got no relief from dry needling and water therapy did nothing to help her; she wound up using traction and bands with great success - both things that did not help me at all, and caused me more pain.

Same diagnosis, very very similar symptom set, same doctor - two very different treatments.

Having said all that, the number of people who I meet who have horror stories (just like @arminnie) makes me sad, and angry. It's only because I *finally* found the right PT for me that I am even remotely mobile and able to take care of myself. The last one I had before I took control of my own recovery did so much damage that it set me back *months*. Suffice it to say, that practice has been closed, and three of the PTs who worked there lost their licenses, so at least they can't hurt anyone else.

Yes - massage therapy can help, as can "dry needling" (think: accupuncture) and other "hands on" manipulative techniques. I always advocate for finding a PT, simply because they have been trained in biomechanics. All of the PT staff at the location I attend will happily utilize massage, or whatever technique is best for each patient - and that is the key. They don't have a "one size fits all" mentality, instead focusing on what is best for each person. In my case, they found quickly that I responded best to dry needling and water therapy, where another patient who had very similar issues to me got no relief from dry needling and water therapy did nothing to help her; she wound up using traction and bands with great success - both things that did not help me at all, and caused me more pain.

Same diagnosis, very very similar symptom set, same doctor - two very different treatments.

Having said all that, the number of people who I meet who have horror stories (just like @arminnie) makes me sad, and angry. It's only because I *finally* found the right PT for me that I am even remotely mobile and able to take care of myself. The last one I had before I took control of my own recovery did so much damage that it set me back *months*. Suffice it to say, that practice has been closed, and three of the PTs who worked there lost their licenses, so at least they can't hurt anyone else.

I am so sorry for your bad experience. It is horrible that there is not a better oversight for that. I have found the those who recognize Eastern medicine methods are more open minded to things like massages and natural forms of relief. I believe there is a balance between Eastern and Western medicine. I have suffered for years with allergic rhinitis and took several antibiotics and medicines that were prescribed to me. Nothing that any medical professional told me worked. Someone told me about the affects of ginger and I started making a ginger tea. It worked like a miracle. I no longer get sinus infections or the tinea that I suffered from. Ginger is a natural anti inflammatory and anti fungus. And ever doctor that I have told that I used ginger to cure these issues all look at me like I am crazy and do not believe it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter