Pre-Arrival Magic Bands - Bug or really out of stock

DavidNYC

DIS Veteran
Been getting exceptionally frustrated at the process for pre-selecting magic bands. For the last couple weeks I keep checking and a few of them change each time but without fail when I select something I want it goes through the whole process and then says it's out of stock. Anyone have experience with whether this is a bug or not? I'd expect with the few selections they offer at a time they could at least just show actual options rather than keep the unavailable ones listed on the page. It's a nice thing they're doing allowing you to upgrade but really annoying that they offer so few options and then have many of those that they do offer not really available.

Also - does anyone know if we've selected one for another member of our party but it's no longer listed as a choice now, whether it's still available for that person or when I try to confirm the full order will it tell me that something we have selected isn't available.

Any tips or do I just basically need to sign on each day to check and hope something goes through.

Been going through the same frustrating process trying to order. I've tried to order several times only to be told it's out of stock.

if a band is not listed as a choice when ordering then it is not available. You will have to switch to a band that is available at that time. You have to order all the bands for your group at the same time.

there is no tip to ordering the bands except to keep checking frequently and just hope something everyone likes is available at the same time

I've been trying to order for months hoping that the availability would improve but it still hasn't.

I was finally able to put my order through last night. I found it helpful to be open to multiple choices, had better luck on the computer instead of my phone, and they restock them at :43 every hour.

I was finally able to put my order through last night. I found it helpful to be open to multiple choices, had better luck on the computer instead of my phone, and they restock them at :43 every hour.

LOL - well your notice about the restocking has been helpful but even more maddening. It's really like a lottery. I mean the same bands keep getting added and taken away hour to hour so it's clear they're making an exceptionally small number available during any hour block but then will put more up at random other hours. For the life of me I cannot image any possible rationale for this other than to drive people nuts. Since the same bands keep getting relisted over and over it's not an actual stock issue. Why did they even bother with this? 4 of the 6 new designs anyone in my party was interested in were of stock. At the very least when something is out of stock take it off the page and add another one.

I saw some cute decals or “skins” on Etsy that you can customize your magic band with. It’s not ideal, but its an option if you can’t get what you want. That bums me out though because I was so excited to be able to pick out my magic bands when we book!

There are multiple threads on this going back to the beginning of the year. The system just truly stinks, there is no rhyme or reason to it, it doesn't matter on the browser or "in cognito" or pc vs laptop vs ipad vs smart phone, it really is just plain old luck. Why did they bother? because WDW is still racking in the $$ because people still order whatever they can get. I will not buy my 3rd or 4th pick just to have one. Truthfully, if they would just allow the customer to order just 1 at a time, most of the issues would go away. It really is an easy fix.

I was able to obtain acceptable upgraded bands for my traveling party but I had to do multiple orders. Between split stays and annual pass entitlements, I could do a separate order for each member of my party. Of course now I am well stocked with solid color bands. Shame I can't reassign the surplus.

This whole process could have been made easier if Disney had put a deadline on magic band upgrades with sufficient lead time for manufacturing. 8 weeks? 12 weeks? 6 months? Being a DVC member I know my plans at least 7 months in advance.

The whole thing really is insanity. I don’t know why they haven’t figured out something better by now.

Agreed - tried 4 different times when they refreshed and it's crystal clear beyond any doubt that they're just putting up magic bands that have simply are not available at all. No way in hell a band just put on is sold out in under 10 seconds. Really shoddy customer service. And yet Disney will deny to the ends of the earth that there's anything wrong with their system - there will always be some excuse that tries to shift blame from them. It's not even as if the bands are a huge deal but its the constantly watching them unveil something to great fanfare when it's clear they were more interested in the press release than making sure it actually worked (gondolas . . cough cough . . ).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter