Pre-reception/Cocktail Hour

Luckycharm1215

Earning My Ears
Hello!!

First time posting :wave2:. We just got engaged on a DCL cruise a couple of weeks ago and we're already planning our DFTW. Right now, no consultant until at least July since we're going with late fall/winter 2021 (after I'm done with grad school internship). I have contacted them and gotten info and a sales lead emailed that sent me info but honestly I've gotten more info from Carrie Hayward's book (yes, already bought it).

My question is this, how does a pre-reception factor in with package bars? Are we able to split the time and offer the same options at each or will we have to have a seperate charge/package for both parts of the event? We're still deciding on doing first look before to cut out the pre-reception, but this is a factor in deciding so any info would be appreciated. BOC would be a huge gamble with my extended family so I would rather have a set number ahead of time.

Thank you!! Super great to be here :)

You can set it up in a variety of ways. You can have one pre-paid or BOC package that covers the whole time. You can do a pre-paid package for just the cocktail hour and/or just a certain number of reception hours and then switch to BOC for the rest. You can close the bar at certain times to reduce the package/BOC amount spent. It's pretty flexible!

Don't forget that cutting the pre-reception also saves you on food and DJ time! Plus, first looks are AMAAAAAZING! https://disneyweddingpodcast.com/adding-first-look-photos-to-your-wedding-day/

Also loved and bought Carrie's book for my daughter's 2014 WDW wedding. Invaluable!
We had a 1 hour cocktail hour We served only one hors d' oeuvre and arranged to have the open bar cover that pre-reception hour and the wedding time. We chose one specialty cocktail (which was designed with Disney) and then only beer and wine for our open bar. The pre-reception was in Martha's Vineyard and the reception was in Ariels at the Beach Club. The main reason we did the cocktail hour was so the professional photographer could photograph my daughter and son-in-law around the resort and Wedding Chapel.

Plus, first looks are AMAAAAAZING!

Thank you for the info. We are a relatively private couple and he is so reserved, I think this may be the way we go. My plan was to tell the photographers to ignore me walking in/down the aisle... I just want the look on his face. It’s my absolute favorite part of any wedding and I (selfishly) kind of want it to be just mine at my own wedding. The only problem with a first look is the very traditional mothers we both have. (PS OMG you actually wrote the book and I’m fan-girling just a little 😍)

We served only one hors d' oeuvre and arranged to have the open bar cover that pre-reception hour and the wedding time.

Was there another bartender fee or move the bar fee or anything? Or is it an entirely new bar that gets used (where we’d need a second bar sign). Thank you for responding ☺️

Thank you for the info. We are a relatively private couple and he is so reserved, I think this may be the way we go. My plan was to tell the photographers to ignore me walking in/down the aisle... I just want the look on his face. It’s my absolute favorite part of any wedding and I (selfishly) kind of want it to be just mine at my own wedding. The only problem with a first look is the very traditional mothers we both have. (PS OMG you actually wrote the book and I’m fan-girling just a little 😍)

:rotfl: Have the mothers listen to that First Look episode. It's usually the groom or the mother(s) who object to the first look, but when you explain to them how much more intimate and meaningful a first look is, they often understand. (Plus, it's YOUR wedding, not theirs!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!