Pre-trip Quadrilogy - planning 4 at once? No way! WAY! (Update Jan 11,2018)

Discussion in 'Pre-Trip Reports and Plans' started by skier_pete, Feb 14, 2017.

1. khertz

khertz Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I was really surprised by the prices coming up when I was searching the Universal resorts trying to figure out when we could sneak in another trip with our APs. SO expensive!!! I'm glad they were able to get you an AP price and for the Portofino, at that! It's a gorgeous resort, and the one that got us hooked on the water taxi. lol

Hopefully Beach Club comes through for you. DD should have a great time with her friend able to come along.

2. skier_pete

skier_pete DIsney-holics Anon

Yeah, we were talking yesterday, and she really, really, really wants to go to Beach Club. So much so that we might consider moving the trip back a week (to our original dates) to that we can get it. However, right now the last 3 days of our trip are available at Beach Club, so I think if that stays the case we may book it, and just try and get the one remaining night on the wait list. (DVC has a LOT of nice advantages - but always being able to get what you want with ease is definitely NOT one of them.)

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. franandaj

franandaj I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!

Would that push you guys over to Labor Day weekend? I can't remember what your exact dates were.

5. skier_pete

yes, @franandaj - that would mean we would be there until Labor day weekend. We are trying not to do it, but from a vacation time standpoint it's not really a problem. We were hoping to go the week before so that we have sort of a backup in case there's a hurricane, we could still go down assuming we could get a room. IF we wait untit the week before labor day and things get pushed, then we can't go.

6. skier_pete

With just 5 weeks to go - I just learned something that is rather bothersome.

We knew it would be the Mardi Gras party when we were there. What we didn't know is that during the Mardi Gras parties they have these concerts in Universal Studios. (Well we actually knew that part.) And on days where they have concerts - the BLOCK seasonal passholders from entering US. Only IOA entry is allowed.

So wouldn't you know it - the two nights we are there (Sat and Sun) BOTH nights they have a concert. And both DD and DW have a seasonal pass (I upgraded to preferred pass for the parking & discounts.) This leaves us two options:

1) For the first two of our three days - don't go into US, only IOA.
    2) Pay $60 each (+ tax) to upgrade the two passes to power passes.

Both choices suck - on Saturday we are only there for a few hours so that day wouldn't have been so bad, but Sunday is the bulk of our time at Universal, because on Monday we were only planning to go until around maybe 2 PM. With paying to stay on property and for front of the line, I was expecting to get the bulk of BOTH parks done on Sunday.

However, the other option will cost us like $135 extra. Which we are already paying too much for this little excursion. It makes me wish we weren't even going to Universal, I really am learning to dispise Universal. People complain about Disney raking you over the coals, but Universal gets you six ways til Sunday.(Also discovered that after paying $400 a night for my hotel room, I have to pay ANOTHER $20 to park. Even though I have free parking at the resort with my season pass.)

I think in the end it's likely we breakdown and pay the money. We are unlikely to come back for many, many years - so in the end we want to get the most out of the stay. And in the end, the upgrade to APs only cost us about $20 per ticket more than the 4-day pass we bought last year. So if we look at it that way, I suppose it's not too bad. Just more money we have to spend.

So - let me ask you, dear reader - which would use choose to do?

rteetz likes this.
  7. piglet1979

piglet1979 DIS Veteran

I will start off saying I have never been to US. I am not a fan of big roller coasters or rides with screens which I hear is most of US. If this park is something my family really wanted to do i would back to upgrade. However if it wasn't I would be looking trying to cancel US and just go to WDW.

skier_pete likes this.
  8. franandaj

Ugh. Neither option sounds that great, but I'd probably just only do IOA for the first two days. There isn't a lot at Universal to draw us there, but we still end up going there every so often, but last time we barely spent any time there at all.

9. skier_pete

That's an interesting choice. Skip it completely! But we did pay extra money to buy APs for this purpose, and while DD doesn't want to ride much, she DOES want to ride Forbidden Journey. (The ride is worth going to Universal once alone.)

I do agree IOA is the more interesting of the two parks, but there are a few things we want to do in US (Jimmy Fallon, Minions, ET, Simpsons, Gringotts, RRR) The question is if doing them only on the last day will give us enough time. The other thing that makes me think we should pay for the upgrade is that we have FOTL. If we want to do a ride a few times across several days, as opposed to over and over the same day.

10. pooh'smate

pooh'smate Stuck in the Middle

I would pay for the upgrade so you could use your FOTL pass like you said across several days.

11. franandaj

We also have, like no money, right now. Things have come in so fast that we are cashing in IRAs selling cars and the like so I'm in save money mode.

skier_pete likes this.