Pre-Trip Report(34) - Comfortable Shoes

DVC_Dreamer

If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remembe
Pre-Trip Report - 34 days to go before our split stay at BLT and BWV in a two bedroom suite.

Last Year's Walking Equipment

Which one do you think was the comfortable pair on last August's trip?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tip - Wear Comfortable Shoes

I know, Mr. Obvious, wear comfortable shoes.

Would you believe the sandals were the most comfortable?
I have a painful condition in my left foot - plantar fasciitis. I know many suffer from this condition. Against my better judgement, I tried the sandals because it's so hot in August. To my surprise, I really didn't suffer much pain at all. In fact, I believe the sandals were much better than the sneakers. The issue I had with the sandals was that the bottoms are very warn out with not much tread. I did the one-legged slip several times but gathered myself quickly enough as not to fall on my butt in front of half the WDW nation. Lucky I didn't blow out a knee.

These shoes need an upgrade.

Any advice on walking gear for this year's hot June trip?

Not really a shoe recommendation but I find that if I change shoes midday when we go back to the hotel it makes a huge difference. Oh, and the hot tub helps too!

Footwear is a big issue for me, and I don't even have plantar fasciitis. I took a pair of shoes last August which ended up killing my feet and I literally walked barefoot from HS to the Boardwalk because I was in severe pain. When we finally made it to Epcot, I bought some of the Disney Croc thong sandals, which ended up being not too comfortable either. I spent the rest of the week in my athletic shoes. I now spend about 4-5 weeks testing shoes before we leave. I have been able to figure out which shoes will definitely work.

Those flip-flops that are in your photo would not work for me. They slide around too much and the thong part tends to wear out the skin between my big toe and second toe. I need sandals with straps, but the straps cannot rub on my ankles. I have also found that the athletic shoes that are made of mesh-type material work well, but I prefer sandals.

Good luck finding the right shoes. Start experimenting now!

I too, for many years, was a firm believer that only sneakers should be worn in WDW. Until....I had a pair of Nike flip flops that were too comfortable NOT to wear in August, which is when we usually go every year (teacher here, not too many options for vacation time lol). That decision was reached several years ago, and I can't tell you the last time I wore a pair of sneakers in WDW! You just have to find what works for you, and definitely find it BEFORE you go.:)

I've taken advantage of everyone's advice and bought some new shoes. DW had a 30% off coupon for Kohl's. We bought two pair for me and for DS for $69.99. Great deal ! DW already bought herself a pair of athletic sandals.

I needed a new pair of walking sneakers. No better time than now with less than 30 days before trip. I tried on a narrow and wide pair. I needed the wide pair and they are very comfortable. I'm walking every day in them on my lunch break. They should be broken in just fine with no risk of blisters.

I tried on many athletic sandals. The pair that had the best grip on bottom looked like women sandals to me. :scared: I'd rather slip and fall then wear those. :) The pair I went with have some grip but the real test will be at EPCOT on a rain soaked ground.

The new shoes.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!