Pre Trip: Star Wars and Dancing in the World: Everyone is Happy

bedgraynexl

You are likely to be eaten by a grue
Chapter 1: Pre Trip: Star Wars and Dancing in the World: Everyone is Happy

I have never written a trip report before but I have had so much fun reading some of the others I thought I would give it a try. Here is the cast of characters: Me 30 something father of three who stays incredibly busy and really needs this vacation. I work, go to seminary, and am a minister for a small church in Oklahoma. Needless to say I am ready to get away. DW is also thirty-something and is the love of my life. She is probably a bigger Disney Fanatic than I am. She grew up with summers in California and went all the time. My first Disney experience wasn’t until I was in my twenties so I am making up for lost time. We have been bi-coastal with a trip to the World in 2005 (Dolphin), Disneyland in 2006 and 2008, and now this return trip to the World in June 2010. We wanted to make sure our kids knew the magic of Disney.

Speaking of the kids first up is DS10 who is all about Star Wars weekend. DS is at that wonderful age where we will start losing him to teenager-dom soon. This may be one of the last family trips he willingly goes on. This Jedi Knight is ready for another crack at the Sith.

DD8 is the reason for this trip. DD8 is part of a Dance Team that is going for Magical Music days. Tiny Dancer is ready to perform for the DW crowds. I don’t really care for the reason; it is an excuse to go to the World. The whole team has really worked hard to make this trip and everyone is ready to go.

Last but certainly not least is DD1. This is her first trip to anything Disney. She loves Mickey (on TV) but we are wondering how she will react when she comes face to face with the Big Mouse face to face.

Planning: It is difficult to give up the control of planning the trip to someone else let alone someone who hadn’t planned a trip like this. DD8’s director has done a good job and has offered us some flexibility. We are staying for seven days at Port Orleans: Riverside. The team is split between POR and All-Stars Music. We had talked about POR at somepoint, so this works out for us. We get along pretty well with most the rest of the team. Since DD8 is one of the youngest on the team, the older girls have really taken the minis under their wing and made them feel like they are part of the group.

Fortunately the dance stuff will only take part of our time and we will be able to enjoy the World as a family. DS is excited because it is Star Wars Weekend, so that works out too. I am a little hesitant because of the crowds, but I think there are still enough districts in school that it shouldn’t be too bad.

As far as my own planning goes I have already made ADR’s for CRT, Crystal Palace, Akershus, and Citricos (our 11th anniversary). The team is eating together at Chef Mickey’s. I probably would have made more ressies but DW wants some flexibility in our schedule. She doesn’t understand the obsessive planning that can occur. I see her point. In 2005 we just walked up and got seated. But that trip was also in April, so it wasn’t very crowded. Early summer will be a different story. I got the important ones. We were not able to eat in the Castle last time. It may be a late ADR, but it is still in hand.

I also got really lucky with our plane tickets. I had been watching Southwest daily since our travel dates were released. They had been consistently about $150 -$175 one way to fly out of OKC. I got lucky and scored $84. It was the ONLY day I saw them that low. SCORE. It might have been a glitch but it was still honored. I hadn’t seen tickets that low in a long time. I usually had to drive to Dallas to get lower rates.

I have also tried to plan which parks to go to on each day based on EMH and our dance schedule. I get the feeling that will all go out the window based on a family coup.

As of today we are less than a month from the World. We are getting all the little things together. The kids are bouncing off the walls (I wonder if I made a mistake putting the countdown ticker on their computer.:) I am ready for this trip and can’t wait to make it to the World!

Hotel :hmghost:
Park Tickets :smickey:
Airfare :tink:
ADRs :earsboy:

See Ya Real Soon

Things are finally coming together. I guess that is one of the hazards of going with a group. I had to reschedule some ADR's because of conflicts with Dance Performances and a Workshop for DD. Biggest disapointment was losing an early ADR for Crystal Palace. It would have been nice to be in the park before rope drop. Well I still have a few days before we arrive in the world so maybe something will open up. Another change was the Chef Mickey team breakfast is now at Tusker House. Throws off MK for the first day, but now we'll get Animal Kingdom finished early.

Other than that the trip side is ready. I have park tix and ME docs in hand. Confirmations for POR and ADRs are all on my spreadsheet cheat sheet. Now we just need to finish all the home portion of packing and waiting :)

DS is very excited about Star Wars Weekend. We are going to have some great character hunting. :chewy: :yoda: :darth:

DD is ready to dance in the world. :banana: :cool1:

I am just ready to go on vacation. I really need it after this week. Finished one assignment for work but I have to put on my pastor's hat and officiate at a funeral for a parishoner. Really puts spending time with family in perspective.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter