Prediction?-Tiered FPs

Lesley Wake

DIS Veteran
Been having some thoughts regarding tiered FPs and was wondering if other people concurred. (Note: Not a rumor or anything like it, just my own musings.)

Magic Kingdom
-Once Tron opens I would think they may start doing Tiers. Tier 1-the mountains + coasters (Tron, 7DMT, Space, Splash, Big Thunder, maybe even PPF and/or Enchanted Tales). Tier 2-everything else

Epcot
-Once Ratatouille opens, probably Tier 1. Guardians of the Galaxy will also need to be Tier 1. Maybe that will allow them to push Test Track into Tier 2. After the full park reimagining, there may be additional ride changes that can adjust the FP tiers.

Hollywood Studios
-With Toy Story and SW, a full revamp is needed. For TSL, Slinky is probably a Tier 1, but Aliens could be a Tier 2 (although in the first year, before SWL, it could need to be a Tier 1, like NRJ). Both SWL will need to be Tier 1. Maybe even add in some character spot FPs for Star Wars. Micky & Minnie Runaway Rail will also probably need to be Tier 1 for a while. But then that really overloads Tier 1 and leaves almost nothing in Tier 2. I would push TSM and Beauty and Beast into Tier 2.

Animal Kingdom
-Maybe once Pandora calms down they will be able to do away with the "tiers" there. Or the opposite and institute real Tiers, with FoP, Safari, Everest, RoL in Tier 1 and NRJ with everything else in Tier 2.

Anyways, what are peoples thoughts?

I do not see Tron or anything at MK needing to go to a tier system. I think any new ride at other parks will be part of a tier 1 system no matter what they are, just not enough to spread people around with out this system. But I see them redoing what falls into a Tier 1 as they open new rides and experiences.

Not sure if MK ever goes to tiers

For DHS I bet both Toy Story rides are Tier 1 when they first open (like for Pandora, no reason long term the river ride needs to be tier 1 but for opening it makes sense). I could see when SWGE opens that those two rides are tier 1 and everything else is tier 2

EPCOT I could see your idea of making GOTG tier 1 and then moving Test Track to tier 2

I don't think MK will ever go tiers. It just has so much to choose from.

I agree. The tier system is only there for the other 3 parks because they don't have many rides that people want to do and that usually have a long line. MK has so many options and there are so many different rides that various groups value highly. My 3 FP+are always the 3 mountains because I like thrill rides and those are the closest you can find at MK. Someone with toddlers may get Peter Pan and Pooh. Others may value the grown up dark rides and get POTC and Haunted Mansion. When the Tron coaster comes out it will be no different and won't necessitate tiers. It will just be impossible to get for anyone not staying onsite for a very long time, much like 7DMT was.

I would think they will eventually do away with the tiers for the most part. However, I do think that when multiple attractions open around the same time (i.e. when a new land opens), they will create a temporary tier 1 for those attractions so that as few people as possible have to wait on multiple multi-hour lines (as they did with Pandora).

I would think they will eventually do away with the tiers for the most part. However, I do think that when multiple attractions open around the same time (i.e. when a new land opens), they will create a temporary tier 1 for those attractions so that as few people as possible have to wait on multiple multi-hour lines (as they did with Pandora).
I can totally see them putting the 2 new Star Wars rides in their own tier so that you only get to pick one.

I think the ultimate goal is for all parks to go like MK and not have to have Tiers - they want to offer an even playing field of thrill attractions, shows, nighttime offerings, and dark/slow rides where you can pick what you want.

I think the parks people are working very hard to disperse the crowds property wide so the other parks need a lot more rides and not all of them have to be huge investments...for instance, once tsl opens they could easily add another small kid ride to take pressure off swl and the pissed off will be turned away when it's to capacity.

No...no...NO!!!

We want them to get away from tiers...not add them.

Tiers are a simple acknowledgement that they don't have enough capacity for the people in the park...

That's why I think we may see even more come out from mgm...like a redo of the animation courtyard and maybe even some Indy love or something on sunset boulevard...

It's about crowd control to increase capacity without backlash.

Last edited:
I think the ultimate goal is for all parks to go like MK and not have to have Tiers - they want to offer an even playing field of thrill attractions, shows, nighttime offerings, and dark/slow rides where you can pick what you want.

Absolutely...tiers put people in a bad mood to spend...

I mean...having to pick to go on midway mania or rnrollercoaster or suffer a 90 minute line has sucked since day 1. It doesn't put people in the mood to spend and that is 101% of the point of the rides in the first place.

I don't want more tiers. I sorta understand the "Hey, there's this new stuff we put in and we're gonna limit these for awhile" but I'd hope by summer of next year that they've gotten rid of the Pandora tier in AK. The River isn't worth a FP unless you've got kids who are too small to ride the banshee. Heck, not sure I would choose to ride it again with anything more than a 30 minute wait, Period. There are at least 2 other things worth FP-ing in that park before the river...and if you like the shows and want a bit of AC, I can think of at least 2 more.

I do think it's interesting that they keep calling all these new development "lands" but when I think of "lands", I think of MK, and there's not a single land I can think of that only has 2 experiences/rides, like all these new ones. Even Frontierland has TS Island, plus the CountryBears in addition to Splash and Big Thunder.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!