Predictions on WDW marathon sell out times?

Jeez guys, I am reading the Goofy is dead and an inferior race? Seriously? Not once has the marathon or Goofy sold out before June; the marathon never before August. The fact that it is at 50% after a day is amazing. You are assuming that the hoopla of Dopey would drive folks to Goofy and it would sell out quickly. What you miss is that a huge percentage of Goofy runners (mostly first timers) hit Dopey since it is the new thing. In essence with the addition of Dopey, the number of Goofy slots is now double that of two years ago. So at 50% full, there are now 150% of the historic Goofy entries now sold.

(If I am reading tongue in cheek comments, please excuse)

One of the most consistent criticisms of the runD announcers was the hyping of the Dopey at the expense of those racing the stand alone race of the day. I for one hope the Dopey hoopla dies back some. Think how disheartening it is to struggle, fight and claw your way from the couch or some medical/physical condition to the 5k. We should celebrate the fact that ALL runners toeing the line are amazing! likewise for those who really stretch out and push up to the 10k, then half or the full. 99% or higher of the population will hop in a vehicle rather than take on 6 miles on foot. Let's celebrate the accomplishments of all runners and not 'dis' any race in particular.

Thanks - putting soap box away

I know in years past I've been able to sign up for Goofy several months in so not selling out or hitting 50% the first day is hardly considered a failure. I played around using some estimated numbers and this is what I came up with for runDisney's sales yesterday. I'm pretty sure nobody there got in trouble yesterday.

Sold Bibs Cost $
5k 3000 60 $180,000
10k 3000 105 $315,000
Half 15000 170 $2,550,000
Full 7500 170 $1,275,000
Goofy
Dopey 7000 530 $3,710,000
$8,030,000

Add 500-1000 to Dopey and bump the 5&10k up to approx 7500 stand alone entries. Take about 1000 halves out and add 3500 Goofies and you have.... ding ding din.. a little over a $10 million haul

Jeez guys, I am reading the Goofy is dead and an inferior race? Seriously? Not once has the marathon or Goofy sold out before June; the marathon never before August. The fact that it is at 50% after a day is amazing. You are assuming that the hoopla of Dopey would drive folks to Goofy and it would sell out quickly. What you miss is that a huge percentage of Goofy runners (mostly first timers) hit Dopey since it is the new thing. In essence with the addition of Dopey, the number of Goofy slots is now double that of two years ago. So at 50% full, there are now 150% of the historic Goofy entries now sold.

One of the most consistent criticisms of the runD announcers was the hyping of the Dopey at the expense of those racing the stand alone race of the day. I for one hope the Dopey hoopla dies back some. Think how disheartening it is to struggle, fight and claw your way from the couch or some medical/physical condition to the 5k. We should celebrate the fact that ALL runners toeing the line are amazing! likewise for those who really stretch out and push up to the 10k, then half or the full. 99% or higher of the population will hop in a vehicle rather than take on 6 miles on foot. Let's celebrate the accomplishments of all runners and not 'dis' any race in particular.

Well said Coach. It's a major accomplishment to do any one of these stand alone races. I did Dopey last year and ran the half with my wife, which was her first. I kept getting pissed when the announcers would ask how many are doing "only" the half. The struggles she went through with injuries along the way and training in the cold and snowy weather we had only made those comments worse. I hope they tone it down a bit too. Not only did she feel inferior to others doing multiple races, but I can't even convince her that what she accomplished was a major feat because she thinks since she did a walk/run interval for the race, it wasn't really fair to say she did a half marathon. I keep telling her it doesn't matter how you got to the finish line, you did it...you crossed over both mats and should be proud of your accomplishment and should show off that medal with pride.

Well said Coach. It's a major accomplishment to do any one of these stand alone races. I did Dopey last year and ran the half with my wife, which was her first. I kept getting pissed when the announcers would ask how many are doing "only" the half. The struggles she went through with injuries along the way and training in the cold and snowy weather we had only made those comments worse. I hope they tone it down a bit too. Not only did she feel inferior to others doing multiple races, but I can't even convince her that what she accomplished was a major feat because she thinks since she did a walk/run interval for the race, it wasn't really fair to say she did a half marathon. I keep telling her it doesn't matter how you got to the finish line, you did it...you crossed over both mats and should be proud of your accomplishment and should show off that medal with pride.

Ok, I might catch some flack for this, but one of the things that bothers me about the Goofy and Dopey challenges is it seems a lot of people kind of half-A-- the multiple races. I know several GOOD runners that have done these challenges, but since they are doing the multiple races, have to take it very easy, and don't really give the race "their all" (walking the majority of it, when they are more than capable of running, etc.)
Personally, I just have more respect for a runner that "gives their all" for a half marathon, than a solid runner who just walks or "takes it easy" through the 4 races...

It was interesting because, while runDisney seemed to hype the Dopey aspect none of the people I bumped into seemed to dismiss any particular race. The individual runners seemed to be supportive of everyone and people seemed to visibly groan at some of the runDisney comments.

Ok, I might catch some flack for this, but one of the things that bothers me about the Goofy and Dopey challenges is it seems a lot of people kind of half-A-- the multiple races. I know several GOOD runners that have done these challenges, but since they are doing the multiple races, have to take it very easy, and don't really give the race "their all" (walking the majority of it, when they are more than capable of running, etc.) Personally, I just have more respect for a runner that "gives their all" for a half marathon, than a solid runner who just walks or "takes it easy" through the 4 races...

Are you saying that one must give their all in every race to be worthy of your respect? What if one has given their all a month before and is just running a race after that for fun? What if one is using a race as a training run for a different race coming up in the near future? Are those people not worthy of your respect? I don't think any of us should be trying to determine a person's motivation for entering and running any particular race, nor should we presume to judge their performance in any race as worthy or not worthy of respect. Anyone who is out there in any race, anytime, anywhere, for any reason, deserves our respect and our support.

Are you saying that one must give their all in every race to be worthy of your respect? What if one has given their all a month before and is just running a race after that for fun? What if one is using a race as a training run for a different race coming up in the near future? Are those people not worthy of your respect? I don't think any of us should be trying to determine a person's motivation for entering and running any particular race, nor should we presume to judge their performance in any race as worthy or not worthy of respect. Anyone who is out there in any race, anytime, anywhere, for any reason, deserves our respect and our support.

Well, I didn't say that those who don't give it their all "aren't worth of my respect"--I said I have more respect for someone who is giving their all and putting in more effort. I will always have more respect for the person that works hardest for something.

Ok, I might catch some flack for this, but one of the things that bothers me about the Goofy and Dopey challenges is it seems a lot of people kind of half-A-- the multiple races. I know several GOOD runners that have done these challenges, but since they are doing the multiple races, have to take it very easy, and don't really give the race "their all" (walking the majority of it, when they are more than capable of running, etc.)
Personally, I just have more respect for a runner that "gives their all" for a half marathon, than a solid runner who just walks or "takes it easy" through the 4 races...

This is a valid point.... I will offer up the fact the many Disney runners are not running their best regardless since it is Disney and there are several photo ops. But I am one with you on the several hundred folks who really are pushing their limits to stay in front of the balloon ladies/sweepers. You will most always find me out cheering the 'lantern rouge' section.

It was interesting because, while runDisney seemed to hype the Dopey aspect none of the people I bumped into seemed to dismiss any particular race. The individual runners seemed to be supportive of everyone and people seemed to visibly groan at some of the runDisney comments.

I agree as I was a moaner. Thinking back on the race, it was a little funny to see how we grouped in the corrals waiting for the race to start. At least in my area, we grouped Dopeys together and sand alones together. I was feeling bad for those who were being dismissed by the mouse. I have relaid these thoughts to a couple folks I know in the front office. Hopefully the phrase "just running the xxx" will die a merciful death.

This is a valid point.... I will offer up the fact the many Disney runners are not running their best regardless since it is Disney and there are several photo ops. But I am one with you on the several hundred folks who really are pushing their limits to stay in front of the balloon ladies/sweepers. You will most always find me out cheering the 'lantern rouge' section.

You're right--and I know that I myself have stopped for photo ops at some of the Disney races too.

I guess maybe "I have more respect for" was not the right choice of words...maybe I should have said that I see it as a greater accomplishment when someone "gives their all" in a half marathon, vs. a solid runner taking it easy through the 4 races. :)

You're right--and I know that I myself have stopped for photo ops at some of the Disney races too.

I guess maybe "I have more respect for" was not the right choice of words...maybe I should have said that I see it as a greater accomplishment when someone "gives their all" in a half marathon, vs. a solid runner taking it easy through the 4 races. :)
I guess you could say that I'm one of those "solid runners" that you're referring to here. I'm going to work my butt off training this year so that I can comfortably complete Dopey while stopping for most, if not all of the character photos and just soaking in the experience. The way I see it, I just dropped a hefty, hefty amount of money to sign up for this, so why shouldn't I run the races the way that I want to run them? I DO run races to try to PR, but I do that at home (where it's much cheaper to do so and I don't get distracted by a photo-op with Scar from The Lion King or whatever).

This is how I've run all of the Disney races I've signed up for, and I have tons of great memories. In general I really don't care if other people don't agree with this, but I also don't understand why (and am a little bothered by ) people feel the need to tell others how they need to complete these races. :sad2:

ETA: And I know it's hard to tell tone over the internet, but I'm not looking to engage in an argument or anything. I just really don't understand why people have problems with the way others run their races (unless it's someone who signs up for something, doesn't train for it at all, and then just steps over the starting to get their medal or whatever. But that's a whole other messy issue).

UGH...I hate that for your wife. :mad: I hope over time she'll realize that she IS a legitimate half-marathoner.
I agree as I was a moaner. Thinking back on the race, it was a little funny to see how we grouped in the corrals waiting for the race to start. At least in my area, we grouped Dopeys together and sand alones together. I was feeling bad for those who were being dismissed by the mouse. I have relaid these thoughts to a couple folks I know in the front office. Hopefully the phrase "just running the xxx" will die a merciful death.
In 2013 I did the 5K + Goofy...the morning of the 5K one of the announcers said something like, "even those it's only a 5K..." I could not believe it!! Such a jerk move. Then they proceeded to have people that were running the half, marathon and Goofy identify themselves...I'm sure it was intimidating for first-timers. I honestly think I was more terrified to sign up for my first-ever 5K than I was when I signed up for my first marathon. Taking that first step into running an organized race is scary for a lot of people so I can't imagine how they felt after that.
**applause** :goodvibes

I guess you could say that I'm one of those "solid runners" that you're referring to here. I'm going to work my butt off training this year so that I can comfortably complete Dopey while stopping for most, if not all of the character photos and just soaking in the experience. The way I see it, I just dropped a hefty, hefty amount of money to sign up for this, so why shouldn't I run the races the way that I want to run them? I DO run races to try to PR, but I do that at home (where it's much cheaper to do so and I don't get distracted by a photo-op with Scar from The Lion King or whatever).

This is how I've run all of the Disney races I've signed up for, and I have tons of great memories. In general I really don't care if other people don't agree with this, but I also don't understand why (and am a little bothered by ) people feel the need to tell others how they need to complete these races. :sad2:

I'm not say that anyone "needs to complete" it a certain way. Obviously, Disney races are planned to allow for some fun with the photo ops, etc.

I just feel a person giving their all is achieving more, regardless of the number of actual miles put in.

Ok.

Person A has ran multiple marathons at sub 3 hr. "Runs" Dopey with a 45 minute 5k, 1.5hr 10k, 3.5 hr. 1/2, and 6.5. hr full

Person B is fairly new to running. Is overcoming an illness/injury. Struggles through every mile. But completes the half marathon giving it every thing they've got.

Who has the bigger achievement at WDW marathon weekend? IMO, Person B.

But yet, everyone would "ooh and aah" over the Dopey runner? Not me. I'm more impressed with person B. That's all I'm saying.

I'm not say that anyone "needs to complete" it a certain way. Obviously, Disney races are planned to allow for some fun with the photo ops, etc.

I just feel a person giving their all is achieving more, regardless of the number of actual miles put in.

I don't know I think I read some where that the race is the celebration or reward for all the training. For me the accomplishment and achievement usually happens in all the training before the race. At a race like Disney and particular, i'm just there to enjoy the fruits of my training. I respect anyone that is out there whether there at a 5 mm or 16 mm pace. I am really pulling for the people that are just in front of the sweepers, but I can't say that I respect that effort more than I do someone whose running at an 8mm pace comfortably. I know from experience that to get to that type of pace that long term series effort was put into training, and I don't think anyone can gauge anyones total effort by looking current exertion.

UGH...I hate that for your wife. :mad: I hope over time she'll realize that she IS a legitimate half-marathoner.

In 2013 I did the 5K + Goofy...the morning of the 5K one of the announcers said something like, "even those it's only a 5K..." I could not believe it!! Such a jerk move. Then they proceeded to have people that were running the half, marathon and Goofy identify themselves...I'm sure it was intimidating for first-timers. I honestly think I was more terrified to sign up for my first-ever 5K than I was when I signed up for my first marathon. Taking that first step into running an organized race is scary for a lot of people so I can't imagine how they felt after that.

**applause** :goodvibes
I think we need a run Disney swear jar. Anytime a runDisney announcer proceeds any distance with the word "just a" or "only the" they have to put $50 in the jar. Two of the guys I did Dopey's with ran the marathon in January. I think we would have practically come to blows with anyone that commented to them that they just did the marathon.

Then color me 'Guilty'.

To those that go all out for the entire 48.6 miles - more power to you. I see the Dopey (and the entire time at WDW) as the culmination of basically a year of preparation and the "reward" for all the long runs in cold, windy weather here in Ohio that allow me to run the four back-to-back events. Heck, I probably stopped at a half-dozen photo stops (maybe more)...and that stretch between AK and WWOS? To characterize that as 'half A--' would be kind!

I'm not trying to give you flack but I do want to point that that others have different outlooks and expectations.

I think we need a run Disney swear jar. Anytime a runDisney announcer proceeds any distance with the word "just a" or "only the" they have to put $50 in the jar. Two of the guys I did Dopey's with ran the marathon in January. I think we would have practically come to blows with anyone that commented to them that they just did the marathon.
I like this idea! ::yes:: Now we just need to figure out something cool to do with all of the swear jar money at the end of the weekend! :scratchin
Then color me 'Guilty'.

To those that go all out for the entire 48.6 miles - more power to you. I see the Dopey (and the entire time at WDW) as the culmination of basically a year of preparation and the "reward" for all the long runs in cold, windy weather here in Ohio that allow me to run the four back-to-back events. Heck, I probably stopped at a half-dozen photo stops (maybe more)...and that stretch between AK and WWOS? To characterize that as 'half A--' would be kind!

I'm not trying to give you flack but I do want to point that that others have different outlooks and expectations.
I'm in Ohio too! :wave: FINALLY spring here! :yay:

Ok.

Person A has ran multiple marathons at sub 3 hr. "Runs" Dopey with a 45 minute 5k, 1.5hr 10k, 3.5 hr. 1/2, and 6.5. hr full

Person B is fairly new to running. Is overcoming an illness/injury. Struggles through every mile. But completes the half marathon giving it every thing they've got.

But yet, everyone would "ooh and aah" over the Dopey runner? Not me. I'm more impressed with person B. That's all I'm saying.

I was a manager at MSFT for a couple of years. You will have to take me out and shoot me before I will stack rank other runners' accomplishments.

In my experience with Marathon weekend everyone was supported. As you walk around the parks with your medal on people are congratulatory and excited. Everyone is sharing in each other's victories. It's an amazing part of the weekend. For my first year I ran the half and never once felt like any of the other runners looked down on my accomplishment. It was the encouragement that made me really want to try longer distances.

heck I think that spirit carries through to these boards in general. People like Coach C do an amazing job of encouraging everyone and providing really great advice that's it's not biased towards distance or exertion.

Ok.

I guess I just don't feel like we need to pick one or the other to be more impressed with. I'm impressed with anyone that managed to register (a feat in and of itself now :faint:), put in the training for their event/events and completed the race(s), no matter how they did it. :confused3 And that's all I'll say on this subject. :wave:

Then color me 'Guilty'.

Point taken. :)

And in reflecting on this a bit more...maybe as someone who hasn't run Goofy or Dopey, I'm not exactly in a position to call anyone's achievements "half-a--" :blush:

I apologize to anyone who I offended with my statement. It was not my intent...my intent was more to show appreciation for those who struggle with the smaller races yet still work hard to complete them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter