Predictions on WDW marathon sell out times?

Your points are good but the missing piece here is that like the MCM, Disney would have to operate as a gate keeper for transfers.

Currently, the secondary market does exist and stopping the ability to pick up another runners bib will slow the current secondary market

Yes. If Disney were the one facilitating the transfers, there would be no secondary market. With no guarantee that one bib would go to a specific second person, two people couldn't arrange a sneaky transfer.

I would like to be the offsite disney person to do this (and I'll be their typo-catcher...just sent in another thing they missed the other day!). For compensation, of course.

I apologize to anyone who I offended with my statement. It was not my intent...my intent was more to show appreciation for those who struggle with the smaller races yet still work hard to complete them.

FWIW, I think the feelings you're expressing are easy to have and easy to understand from the inside that you're celebrating one group a bit more without denigrating the other group...but it's really really hard to express out loud or in writing. And it also seems to be based on some very specific people you know in person.

One of the most consistent criticisms of the runD announcers was the hyping of the Dopey at the expense of those racing the stand alone race of the day. I for one hope the Dopey hoopla dies back some. Think how disheartening it is to struggle, fight and claw your way from the couch or some medical/physical condition to the 5k. We should celebrate the fact that ALL runners toeing the line are amazing! likewise for those who really stretch out and push up to the 10k, then half or the full. 99% or higher of the population will hop in a vehicle rather than take on 6 miles on foot. Let's celebrate the accomplishments of all runners and not 'dis' any race in particular.

Thanks - putting soap box away

The announcers were ridiculous. Anyone get the feeling the announcers weren't into organized runs for themselves, and therefore were in awe of 2-4 races at all, and didn't get that even just doing ONE race is a pretty big deal?

They were amazed at the novelty of it, without thinking of the realities.

While I did use the word "just" or "only" for myself, it wasn't in a demeaning way. But if you're doing 4 and I'm doing 2, compared to you I'm "only" doing those. "Just" has several different meanings; if I said "I'm just doing the Half and the 5K", it's a comparison to someone else, not bringing my accomplishments down.

It was interesting because, while runDisney seemed to hype the Dopey aspect none of the people I bumped into seemed to dismiss any particular race. The individual runners seemed to be supportive of everyone and people seemed to visibly groan at some of the runDisney comments.

Agreed.

I really hope they don't denigrate the 5k 'only' runners--we're in ohio too and it will be an effort to train indoors obviously, but most importantly I have my freshly senior citizen parents who with much trepidation decided to do this with me. I am a non-runner and will just have had a baby and my husband has sports injuries and this represents a big deal for him too. Not to sound like a pity party but this is a huge, once in a lifetime deal for us even though it is 'only' a 5k. I have assured each and every one of them that it is ok if they end up walking (my 6'6" dad can walk 3 miles in 30 min so I swear it's not that bad).

i know no poster here has said anything that would make me feel less great about this race and I just hope the announcers don't make my parents feel like their efforts or accomplishments aren't huge. I so appreciate this warning because perhaps I will tell them about the impressively crazy Dopey & Goofy racers so instead of being bummed they will feel 'in the know' about this special breed of runner, and it might take away less from their experience if the announcers fetishize those races ;) Any other suggestions? I don't want to be too patronizing or they won't buy it ;)

The announcers were ridiculous. Anyone get the feeling the announcers weren't into organized runs for themselves, and therefore were in awe of 2-4 races at all, and didn't get that even just doing ONE race is a pretty big deal?

They were amazed at the novelty of it, without thinking of the realities.

I cut the announcers some slack since trying to entertain thousands of people at 5AM is no easy task. Having said that...I think the announcers relied too heavily on the same bits/jokes over and over. "Only the <insert distance here>" was one of those overused bits.

I think it's coming from a place of the announcers were just trying to think of something (anything) to say rather then denegrating certain runners but you guys are right, it certainly came off different.

Personally, I could stand a little less of the 'DJ' aspect. I'd be fine with just playing music and making the occasional 'You have X minutes to get to your corral" announcement.

The other thing about the announcers is I get the impression that they feel they need to be constantly talking, so they'll say a lot of weird things. The "bits" as a PP mentioned...they'll keep asking who has a birthday today..."Corral B, this looks like the party corral!" etc. I do appreciate that it's a tough job.

I'd say chat with those around you and don't pay attention to the announcers! Look at the costumes, get excited for the race, etc. Great that you are doing with with your parents!

The other thing about the announcers is I get the impression that they feel they need to be constantly talking, so they'll say a lot of weird things. The "bits" as a PP mentioned...they'll keep asking who has a birthday today..."Corral B, this looks like the party corral!" etc. I do appreciate that it's a tough job.

I think this is it. They have to fill a lot of time with talking, trying to get the runners wound up, etc.

Still, it was a little off putting when you hear "who's doing JUST ____". Even when it wasn't meant that way.

It would be better if they had more positive questions:

Whose first 5k is this?
Who is running their first marathon?
Who is going for a PR today?
Who out there loves getting up at 2:30 am four days in a row to run Dopey?

There are a lot of more positive ways to identify each of the groups.

I think this is it. They have to fill a lot of time with talking, trying to get the runners wound up, etc. Still, it was a little off putting when you hear "who's doing JUST ____". Even when it wasn't meant that way. It would be better if they had more positive questions: Whose first 5k is this? Who is running their first marathon? Who is going for a PR today? Who out there loves getting up at 2:30 am four days in a row to run Dopey? There are a lot of more positive ways to identify each of the groups.
I absolutely agree. I'm sure they mean well, but they definitely have some face palm moments.

Ok, y'all have been quiet. I know you are all amazed that Goofy is still on the board, even after the Full sold out. I think it will hang around for a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter