Preferred annual pass questions

dandemom

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone! Thanks for all of your help to date.

I'm trying to figure out the most economical ticket scenario.
It is far better to use the APH rate for the hotel, so I need to get 1 for either me or hubby anyway.
We are planning to get 3 day park to park passes (but maybe 4 days if the differential is minimal) for the 2 parks (no water).

I understand I have to get the preferred pass because we will be there over the Christmas holiday and I have to make sure I don't have blackout dates.

With the passholder, I get discounts on multiday tickets for the rest of my family?
I need to buy these at the front gate?
And the discount is 15%?

How does the free parking work? If I have my hubby drop me off to pick up the AP and purchase the tickets, would I still have to pay for parking on the first day or would I be able to use free parking for each day? And if this were the case, is there a place to drop off/pick up? I realize he can't stand there while I do the transaction so he'd have to drive around and come back.

I still have to pay for parking for the night we are at the onsite hotel? (2 nights offsite, 1 night onsite to get the express passes at Royal)

I think I read I also get 10% off food. I also have an american express card, which I believe also gets me 10% off food. Can I combine these or is it one or the other? (The AmEx might just be on the dining plan, not sure)

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I can't answer everything, but here goes -

Yes, you still have to pay 1 nights parking at RPR if you are onsite one night.

I don't believe you could stack discounts on food. The AP works for discounts everywhere in the parks, even the ice cream parlor in Diagon Alley, and most places in City Walk (including Starbucks!) but not all the resort restaurants.

There is a drop off area for City Walk. it is where taxis and other buses drop off, should be marked. I'm not sure if you could pick it up at one of the hotels, he could probably sit there long enough if that was possible.

It may actually be cheaper to buy all your tickets from Undercover Tourist, the gate price for tickets is higher than even Universal's online price. Run the numbers on that.

Thanks for that info! I will check out UT for the tickets for the rest of them.

I didn't realize gate price is higher than online direct from Universal.

Thanks for that info! I will check out UT for the tickets for the rest of them.

I didn't realize gate price is higher than online direct from Universal.
A 3 day 2 park ticket online at Universal is $324.82 (tax included). It says that is a $20 savings off gate price. On UT they have a 3 day promo ticket for $291.27. So maybe a couple bucks cheaper.

Parking in the main garage is not free until you have picked up your pass, so being dropped off or just parking at the resort where you have to pay anyways is the way to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!