Pregnant youtuber denied boarding on Disney Cruise

BF says to me, "did you see where Disney kicked someone off their ship because she was pregnant", why he did this is beyond me he knows I am a big fan of Disney, I said did you see the whole report? he said yeah they kicked her off the ship, I said no they did not they did not allow her to board. So I go through the whole online check-in you have to check that no one in your party will be 24 weeks pregnant, it's in your cruise documents that you receive from Disney in the mail, it's on their website etc. He said why did they have a armed guard, I said I don't know I have no idea how crazy this woman was acting, but that armed guard does not appear to be a Disney employee, he must be some one with the port authority. He said it was an armed guard a child was there, I said BF listen to me, you are not going to win this argument with me, the woman was in the wrong and it was not Disney's fault that she apparently didn't want to abide by the rules. She has had her 15 minutes of fame by trashing Disney so there you go. He said you will defend Disney won't you. I said yes I will when they did what they were suppose to do and this woman is just trying to get sympathy from the public because the big bad Disney did her wrong, they didn't do her wrong, she was trying to slip by.
Sounds like you need a different boyfriend

Simple. No matter how extensive the medical services available...ANYWHERE.....there are situations where the needed treatment isn't available. A ship could have a full hospital, and still not have what was needed for a specific emergency.

The difference is, when it's a pregnant woman with a viable fetus who has an emergency on a ship, you have TWO potential fatalities, not just one.

Sure, anyone can suffer a life threatening emergency while onboard, but pregnancy is an INHERENT RISK to the mother and baby literally every time. ANY pregnancy can spontaneously turn into a life or death situation.

The cruise line is good with pregnancy until the 24th week (viability) because if something happens to the baby (or mom), it's ONE life they are dealing with up to that point. They simply do not want to take on the risk of two lives.

The difference is, when it's a pregnant woman with a viable fetus who has an emergency on a ship, you have TWO potential fatalities, not just one.

Sure, anyone can suffer a life threatening emergency while onboard, but pregnancy is an INHERENT RISK to the mother and baby literally every time. ANY pregnancy can spontaneously turn into a life or death situation.

The cruise line is good with pregnancy until the 24th week (viability) because if something happens to the baby (or mom), it's ONE life they are dealing with up to that point. They simply do not want to take on the risk of two lives.

While fetuses less than 24 weeks have been viable, it see your point.

In case you are wondering how to follow Emily and gang on YouTube, her YouTube channel is "The Jackson Hive". Very clever name, imho. Her channel currently has around 9,800 subscribers, which is about one tenth of what Flippin Katie has. Flippin Katie and her family have several videos on her channel from a past DCL cruise. I haven't watched any of Emily's videos but my daughter is a big fan of Flippin Katie's, so I've seen some of those.

MUN

PS, I would be interested in knowing if "The Jackson Hive" channel has seen a growth in subscription numbers since her recent DCL incident.

The first time I looked at her channel she was at 8.8 this has gotten her at least a 1000 viewers. I do admit I watched the one video but didn’t subscribe. She got what she wanted more viewers.

The first time I looked at her channel she was at 8.8 this has gotten her at least a 1000 viewers. I do admit I watched the one video but didn’t subscribe. She got what she wanted more viewers.
I tried watching one, but I lost interest very quickly. I think she puts out a video every day. I wonder how much she makes doing this? I also who watches her videos and why. But, I'm getting off-topic.

I tried watching one, but I lost interest very quickly. I think she puts out a video every day. I wonder how much she makes doing this? I also who watches her videos and why. But, I'm getting off-topic.
We have a topic any more?

A very rough estimate is $1 per 1000 ad views. But with recent rules smaller channels are not able to monetize and you need over a thousand subscribers and 4000 hours of 'watchtime' within a year. But I guess if you were having trouble hitting some of those numbers then the best thing to do would be to do something that would get you associated with a sob story involving a huge multi-national company that makes for great headlines. That would probably cause a flood of people to your videos and allow you to monetize...

But that's silly, who would possibly go out of their way to manufacture that kind of drama for their own publicity?

You missed the point. There are other health conditions that are not forbidden that are greater risk.

Yeah, but if you give birth on a ship then your immediately breaking the 6months (1 year in some cases) to sail rule.
I know the major cruise lines now follow this rule, so I'm not sure if it's actual maritime law or not.

So, health conditions aside, there's another reason to it too.

He said why did they have a armed guard, I said I don't know I have no idea how crazy this woman was acting, but that armed guard does not appear to be a Disney employee, he must be some one with the port authority. He said it was an armed guard a child was there

He needs to understand that this isn't DISNEY. This is a *port*. Ports have security. They are a manned border point. There are armed government agents there to protect people from other people.

This has NOTHING to do with defending Disney. It has to do with the defense of a port. If she KNEW she was in the wrong (she brought the doctor's note), got it wrong (thought she could board at 25 weeks, when she couldn't have borded once she hit 23 full weeks because that would be entering the 24th week), and still went that ballistic, *who knows what else she might do*?

Simple. No matter how extensive the medical services available...ANYWHERE.....there are situations where the needed treatment isn't available. A ship could have a full hospital, and still not have what was needed for a specific emergency.

My mom was in the DC area, in remission from leukemia, under care with a blood transfusion place and two oncologist groups, and still wound up with an undiagnosed bleeding ulcer that killed her within 15 minutes of starting to cough. The one part of your point is correct. But my mom's death didn't ALSO kill a fetus.

Exactly.

I also who watches her videos and why. But, I'm getting off-topic.

My friend's teen put years of his videos of garbage trucks onto a monetized youtube again, and in less than 6 months got a check for $700 (and that's before she told us all about the channel!). Who knows why people watch what they watch?

He needs to understand that this isn't DISNEY. This is a *port*. Ports have security. They are a manned border point. There are armed government agents there to protect people from other people.

This has NOTHING to do with defending Disney. It has to do with the defense of a port. If she KNEW she was in the wrong (she brought the doctor's note), got it wrong (thought she could board at 25 weeks, when she couldn't have borded once she hit 23 full weeks because that would be entering the 24th week), and still went that ballistic, *who knows what else she might do*?

Also, as someone on a different forum pointed out, it is not inconceivable that someone instigate some kind of distraction to direct attention from a much more destructive attack.

As I understand it, the "armed guards" were actually Miami-Dade police who were called in to cite them for trespassing after they were asked to leave the premises.

Pregnant women are told not to go in hot tubs, eat sushi, soft cheese or deli meat. Any woman who has ever been pregnant has experienced the paranoia that medical practitioners and the general public have about pregnancy. So it seems to me that a pregnant woman going on a cruise should have been able to guess that there might be issues taking a cruise and then google it to see what those issues would be. Restrictions on travel during pregnancy isn't a secret.

I travelled once at 25 weeks pregnant, by train not air, and to a destination a 6 hour drive away. Before hand I did a ton of research on possible risks and limitations on insurance policies. I quadruple checked that my travel insurance would cover my baby if I did go into preterm labour (I am Canadian and was travelling to the US, getting health insurance is critical, so is making sure that insurance is adequate). My point being, none of this information is hard to find. And since every pregnant woman I've known has tended to over research if anything I am going to take a shot in the dark that she knew perfectly well that she wouldn't be allowed on board and either thought she could get away with it or get a good video.

My friend's teen put years of his videos of garbage trucks onto a monetized youtube again, and in less than 6 months got a check for $700 (and that's before she told us all about the channel!). Who knows why people watch what they watch?
Exactly! I tried watching the video where Emily explains what happened. I enjoyed the part of them driving to PC with the ship in the background, but I had some minor anxiety issues earlier when I realized they were all flying in the morning of the cruise. I couldn't stand watching much of here whine about getting "kicked off the ship". I won't being subscribing to her channel, I'll stick to keeping up with the Kardashians! :)

28 weeks in 1986 likely wouldn't have been viable if she'd gone into labor.

That would affect both a mother AND an infant? Unlikely.

And again, you're talking decades ago. What was impossible then is possible now. A history of strokes then might have had a much different outcome than the same history now.
My cousin was born in the mid 80s at 26 weeks. She was 2 pounds, 2 ounces. She was a total miracle. I believe she was the smallest baby that had ever survived at the hospital she was born at at that point.

Ok, if that's your argument in favor of allowing someone to cruise when 24+ weeks pregnant, you are entitled to that opinion. I can see why cruise lines don't allow it.

I saw that as an argument for NOT allowing someone 24+ weeks pregnant on a cruise, LOL! IMHO, the policy is there for a very, good reason!

Which cruise was it? Do we know?

I *think* it was the 4 night on the Magic out of Miami that embarked on March 28.

In Local10 new's FB page, someone had posted a screen shot of a vid she posted on 3/25 stating she was 24 weeks. Local10 posted the article on 3/28. Prior to that, the Magic embarked on 3/23 for a 5 night. So while I haven't read anything that specifies which cruise she was supposed to be on, logic leads me to think it was the March 28 sailing.

I *think* it was the 4 night on the Magic out of Miami that embarked on March 28.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that is correct. The initial news report was from the 28th from Local10, it wasn't until a few days later that it gained traction nationally. So it couldn't have been after that and it seems unlikely that it was the 3/23 sailing and it took 5 days for the local news to cover it. March 28th is the only possibility IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter