͏

Yes, too many magic bands (whether active or deactivate) can cause major issues. My DS was not able to use his MB at all on our last trip and we had to spend a long time at guest services. We missed all our FPs for the day. We deleted all the spares and now have 3 per person and won’t get any more.
I can attest to this. Long story, but hopefully this will help all:

We would usually decline magic bands and re-use the ones from the last 3 years or so, but a few years ago, the "decline MB option" starting acting wonky and we started getting notifications that MBs had been shipped to the resort. Well, that caused major headaches. As CMs explained to us, some MBs then get limited functionality - some would access the ticket and FP info and some would access the doors, but none would access everything.

After that trip where my DH had to continue going back to a CM to get his MBs reprogrammed (thankfully, we were staying CL, so the CL staff took care of it right away each time), I called IT and had them not only deactivate, but completely remove all but the last 4 MBs per person. The next trip went without a hitch. But, this last trip, between custom MBs ordered and MBs that were declined, but were still shipped to the resort (even though we didn't even pick them up), we wound up with 7 MBs per person in the account. Ay!

So, we showed up with the 16 MBs that we were planning to use (4 per person) and tried ALL of them at our door when we arrived (online check-in and straight to the room). Only 2 out of 16 were able to open the door. I went to the front desk and they said it was a common problem when a family had too many MBs (I already knew that!). They reprogrammed 2 on the spot for us so we could each have a working MB to go to the parks, and we left the 12 MBs for them to reprogram, and they dropped them off in our room the next day.

Soooo, that long story is to recommend that you actively "prune" your MBs. Don't just deactivate, call them and have them delete all the old ones. Leave no more than 4 active at any point in time (maybe fewer if you have a lot of people in your account). I'm guessing this is why they are phasing out the free MBs. They know having too many is a problem, so best solution all around is to phase the free ones out - saves them money and saves headaches.

Finally had contact from the right department, they reset my part of the magicband so I could pick a new one as the maleficent one is out of stock. I picked the park life one as I know that's one that isn't vanishing every five minutes, paid, took screenshot of order, check in app and its a default grey one. Again. I could scream.

Finally had contact from the right department, they reset my part of the magicband so I could pick a new one as the maleficent one is out of stock. I picked the park life one as I know that's one that isn't vanishing every five minutes, paid, took screenshot of order, check in app and its a default grey one. Again. I could scream.

I want to scream for you!
I hope this ends up working out for you!

I may have to call shop Disney again. I called last week and they submited an email to the correct dept, I didn't receive the fantasmic one either. Got a grey one and no response and no money and no replacement and no email. It's been taking weeks to even hear back from Disney. Still looking forward to my trip though.

I may have to call shop Disney again. I called last week and they submited an email to the correct dept, I didn't receive the fantasmic one either. Got a grey one and no response and no money and no replacement and no email. It's been taking weeks to even hear back from Disney. Still looking forward to my trip though.
Why is it so damn difficult to sort out? There is now an obvious glitch since its happened again with another band.

oi, that is frustrating! I'm sorry to hear it's not working out well for either of you two

how did you end up getting in contact with them? just wondering what worked (at least partially)

for the daily updates ...
no change 20 Aug 2020​
In the end the usual help email (after 3 attempts of them not understanding correctly) said contact shop Disney, so we contacted them, then were passed back to guest liason & they liased with the internet help desk to reset my magic band selection.

We were not able to get the fantasimic one and so we got a refund. There was not another one that we wanted at this time.

Husband surprised me with a plan B magic band today, the Mickey's not so scary 2019 band. Vampire Mickey is so cute!

I'm so glad it finally worked out for your @Aprilshack! based on your avatar, I thought The Child MagicBand would have been a good third choice if the park life one didn't work out :D

for the daily updates ...
no change 21 Aug 2020​

I was sooo tempted but i had a Star Wars band last time. Doesn't mean i may not get a Baby yoda one in the future, or a Christmas one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts