• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Prescription Running Sunglasses

disney minnie

DIS Veteran
I'm looking into gettting prescription running sunglasses. Does anyone have any experience? I'm nearsighted

I generally buy cheap sunglasses that fit well over my glasses and don't move when I run. I find it's easier because I can leave them around everywhere and grab the closest pair when I need them. :confused3

I'm looking into gettting prescription running sunglasses. Does anyone have any experience? I'm nearsighted

It will depend a lot on your prescription. If you have a mild or even moderate prescription strength you have a very wide variety of options out there to choose from. I have a very strong prescription and have had a horrible time finding sunglasses to work for me. Due to the strength of the prescription, the lens thickness gets extreme very quickly if frames with any kind of wrap are chosen. The most recent two pairs I've tried, I've had a bad experience with the acceptable focal area and things blur as I move my head around or change eye position. It's not good when you're glasses make you seasick.

Getting the glasses can be as simple as going to your eye doctor, selecting frames and having them put your prescription into it in a tinted lens or it can be as complicated as getting your prescription and submitting them to an online manufacturer and waiting for them to be made and shipped to you. Good luck!

I don't use them for running, but my first pair of prescription sunglasses changed my life!!

I'm actually needing to get a pair very soon (like ordering this week or next) in time for my May half which I hear can get sunny. I have a brand new prescription in hand. (I'm not a contact wearer, I run in glasses, at least for now.) But I'd like to get a pair that can be for both running and just "looking cute/feminine" for everyday park use as well. The "sporty/wrap-around/oakley/bike" type glasses just aren't my fave thing for me. Anyone have any luck using a more Rayban/Warby-Parker/Trendy type style while running?
I'm guessing getting them adjusting to my face to really "fit" is the key right?

Any online retailer recs where I can order with my prescription? The cheaper the better.

Anyone have any luck using a more Rayban/Warby-Parker/Trendy type style while running?

I wear contacts, so my sunglasses aren't prescription. I've run in multiple pairs of non-running (fashionable? debatable.) and haven't had any problems. I think because you currently run in trendy regular glasses, you will be fine in properly fitting trendy sunglasses. :)

If you want some cheap glasses that are "sports" sunglasses try Zenni Optical. There's are a little awkward as it is removable prescription inserts not prescription tints. So it still looks like you are wearing sunglasses over your prescription glasses but only one piece on your ears.

Why not get transitions lenses? My kids have those because we live in Southern CA where it is always sunny and they spend a lot of time outdoors during the school day. They get really dark! My older son runs and they work great for that. He has a pretty strong prescription.

Other option: contact lenses so you can wear regular cheap sunglasses.

Why not get transitions lenses? My kids have those because we live in Southern CA where it is always sunny and they spend a lot of time outdoors during the school day. They get really dark! My older son runs and they work great for that. He has a pretty strong prescription.

Other option: contact lenses so you can wear regular cheap sunglasses.

In my case I never went with transitions because the few times I tried them it just didn't change fast enough. Again at least in my experience it isn't like the commercials where it is instant so I would walk into a store and it would still be jet black and I couldn't see.

In my case I never went with transitions because the few times I tried them it just didn't change fast enough. Again at least in my experience it isn't like the commercials where it is instant so I would walk into a store and it would still be jet black and I couldn't see.

No it's not instant but you get used to it. My kids glasses change to clear within one minute, at most.

I'm thinking about getting daily contact lenses this summer. I only wear glasses for distance (so only when driving/watching a movie/running) so I don't wear anything all work day or at home, etc.
Hence why I've been so wishy-washy about getting contacts. Maybe it's time to make the switch for running purposes (but after my big half coming up...I'm too worried about something "new" for that)

Do any of you wear normal glasses while running and then carry sunglasses if you need them during the race?
All my local races are light out by the time race starts, but rundisney starts while dark and gets sunnier.

My husband never got used to his. And while it's not running related, they were useless for driving, as the light tint on the windows blocked the uv rays that cause the glasses to change so they didn't protect him when he needed it.

I only wear glasses for distance (so only when driving/watching a movie/running) so I don't wear anything all work day or at home, etc.

Do any of you wear normal glasses while running and then carry sunglasses if you need them during the race?
All my local races are light out by the time race starts, but rundisney starts while dark and gets sunnier.

I'm in the same boat as far as when I wear glasses -- for distance ... driving/movies, etc.

The prescription sunglasses I wear during races are the same Rayban sunglasses I wear for daily use rather than a "sports" style and they work fine for me. If it is dark when the race starts, I put them in a pocket or on my hat and wear them when I need them. Sometimes there is a fogging issue or I've got to wipe them of sweat when I first put them on but it isn't that bad. That said, my distance vision is good enough that I don't "need" regular lenses to see if I'm running without glasses so running without anything while it is still dark works for me. I get them through my optometrist using my insurance so I'm not sure about finding some cheap or as a second pair.

Sunglasses.jpg

Follow up...

I have a mild to moderate prescription. I'm nearsighted- can't see far away.

I would like to have prescription sunglasses instead of regular sunglasses because I miss the details.

I have prescription sunglasses but they are Ray ban aviators and I don't find them comfortable while running.

I've tried contacts but they don't work for me.

I'm looking for...

A brand that is comfortable while running that can be ordered with a prescription

Possibly a sport model that has venting

Something feminine if possible.

I wear glasses all of the time. Moderate prescription for nearsightedness and astigmatism. I also need progressives. I agree with the transitions not going back to clear quickly enough. That said, I do have a pair of ray ban rimless ultra lightweight glasses with transitions with high index super lightweight lenses. My prescription changed just enough for me to have to order new glasses and now these Older transitions are my running glasses. They are perfect for the Disney races because they turn dark when I need them to and are ultra lightweight. I don't use them for driving because they don't get dark enough behind a windshield.

I don't know that I'd pay what I paid for these just to have forrunning. But they really are perfect for early morning races.

I have also ordered from zenni optical before. They also have some rimless lighter frames that I have ordered in single vision for computer work.

I have a moderate prescription for nearsightedness and pretty much always wear my glasses. I picked up sunglasses from 39dollarglasses.com and have been satisfied with them. (See profile pic) In spite of the site's name, getting the various bells and whistles put them ~$200. I do have a pair of much cheaper eyeglasses that I also bought from the site that I wear for night runs, and they're perfectly adequate for that, too. Glasses arrived well packaged with a nice case and cleaning supplies. Prescription seemed to match up with my much more expensive ones from the eye doctor's office.

I wear Rudy Project Rydon II-- they fit my smaller face nicely. But since my prescription is slightly worse than their limit of -4.0, I have to use an adapter. If your prescription is less than that, they have a direct-in-frame lens. My glasses have interchangeable lenses, which is good, since I can then use them in all light conditions.

You could start by looking at a site like sportrx. Rudy, Bolle, Oakley.....just some of the mfrs. that would have something that might interest. Then find a local optical store that carries those lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter