Price Dependent on Number of Guests

queso2992

Mouseketeer
This is my first time booking a trip to WDW. I've been once before as a kid, and I've been to DLR many times. Potentially, I will be going with friends on this trip. I was generically pricing onsite hotel prices with the default settings, ie 2 adult guests for our dates.

When I adjusted it to 4 adult guests, the prices of the exact same rooms went up about $30. Is this typical? Are we paying for Magic Bands or something else?

Whatever it is, i'm fine with it; I'm just not used to seeing the price change at other non-Disney hotels!

This is my first time booking a trip to WDW. I've been once before as a kid, and I've been to DLR many times. Potentially, I will be going with friends on this trip. I was generically pricing onsite hotel prices with the default settings, ie 2 adult guests for our dates.

When I adjusted it to 4 adult guests, the prices of the exact same rooms went up about $30. Is this typical? Are we paying for Magic Bands or something else?

Whatever it is, i'm fine with it; I'm just not used to seeing the price change at other non-Disney hotels!

Hotel pricing is based on two adults in the room. Additional adults there is additional charge.

Disney pricing includes two adults in a room any additional adults and there is an extra nightly charge. And the amount extra you’re charged will depend if it’s a value, moderate, deluxe. I’m assuming you’re looking at value because it’s an extra $15 a person.

I have seen this at other hotels other than just Disney.

What age do they consider adult? Is it the standard 18 years or do they use the same definition they do for dining (age 10)?

Just out of curiosity I ran the numbers with 4 adults vs 2 adults, and two kids age 14 and 16. The price only changed when I added extra adults so it looks like they don't use the ticket/dining definition when determining room charges

Correct. At 18, a person can legally enter into a contract, including renting a hotel room. The additional adult charge exists to recoup some of the money the hotel loses from the third/fourth adults not paying for a separate room.

Legal adult =/= Disney adult for ticketing and dining purposes. Also note that, not only is the additional adult charge type local throughout the entire hotel industry, many charge for additional occupants of any age.

Just out of curiosity I ran the numbers with 4 adults vs 2 adults, and two kids age 14 and 16. The price only changed when I added extra adults so it looks like they don't use the ticket/dining definition when determining room charges

They don't.

Like another PP mentioned, prices are based on 2 adults...any extra person, over the age of 18, staying in the same room and you will pay more per extra adult depending on the resort you book. Now that both my daughters are over 18, we pay an extra $60/night when staying at a deluxe.

Many hotels use the definition of "double occupancy" which means 2. More than that may incur an additional charge.

I'm used to seeing price changes for non-Disney hotels so I guess it depends on your personal experience. Usually it depends on the destination/area you're searching for but sometimes it's just a brand. For example I checked one specific spot in my area. The Hilton-branded hotel and the Marriott-branded hotel did not charge for 4 adults differently than they did for 2 adults. However, an IHG-branded hotel in the same exact spot in my area (all 3 hotels on the same street) did charge $20 extra for 4 adults than they did for 2 adults.

For future reference I would honestly just search for the number of anticipated adults when you're pricing vacations out (including non-Disney ones), just makes it less surprising in terms of costs if a place charges more.

Thanks y'all! I've almost always stayed at Marriotts on non-Disney vacations, and there's no real reason to even acknowledge how many people may be staying. Whereas, at Disney, you need to be exact since it impacts tickets, MBs, etc.

I appreciate it!

Thanks y'all! I've almost always stayed at Marriotts on non-Disney vacations, and there's no real reason to even acknowledge how many people may be staying. Whereas, at Disney, you need to be exact since it impacts tickets, MBs, etc.

I appreciate it!
Just an FYI there really is a reason to acknowledge how many people may be staying everywhere. There's fire codes, occupancy codes and whatnot; safety of the people in mind, etc. You always should be saying how many people are staying in a hotel; Disney or otherwise.

Surely you've been staying at hotels thus far advising the hotel the actual amount of people?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter