Price increase rumors?

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by mshanson3121, Dec 15, 2017.

1. SWRdtWD

SWRdtWD Mouseketeer

Forgive me, I'm no disney expert...but If I understand the labor situation correctly, there would be some variations in how things play out.

1. Florida forbids mandatory unions..."right to work" being the legislative term. Under that situation, unions have no ability to require membership and conduct a work stoppage. If disney employees don't have that tool at their disposal, their bargaining power is limited. If I recall correctly labor demands in contract negotiations between disney and the service unions have always ended in pro-management agreements. My guess is it's not likely that the trade councils win the day. Federal mediation is non-binding as well, which makes it largely irrelevant.

2. Though labor costs are the biggest drain on profits at wdw - as with most places - they wouldn't do an increase based on labor negotiations or wait to see what happens with that.
    Price increases are typically driven only by revenue and profit as it relates to Wall Street in a company of that sizs.

OKW Lover likes this.
  2. mshanson3121

mshanson3121 DIS Veteran

IIRC there's typically 24-48 hour notice.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. bcrook

bcrook DIS Veteran

We got them last year.

5. DisFanDad

DisFanDad Mouseketeer

Iger actually SAID this is their strategy going forward last year at an earnings report call.

Revenue up on lower attendance due to increase spending per guest.

6. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

Right - but I was wondering about taking that to more of an extremes. Double the price of tickets and reduce max capacity by 30% - that sort of thing

DisFanDad likes this.
  7. MolonLabe

MolonLabe DTOM

I really don't think so. People have wised up to the folly of buying 1 day tickets. SW land getting closed for capacity and insane wait times will drive a ton of people who "waited" into the other parks or they will simply take advantage of buying 5+ day tickets.

I think MK will suffer the worst for it, I know a bunch of people who haven't been to WDW in years but once SW opens they are going to MK because "we haven't been there in 20 years, it'd be neat to go back since were there".

mshanson3121 likes this.
  8. SL6827

SL6827 Typhoon Lagoon 2018

Reconsidering going on a non parks trip now. Might like to get one long one in before the opening of SWGE.

9. theseacallsme

theseacallsme Earning My Ears

has anyone heard when the increase will be? i want to make sure i get tickets beforehand!!!

10. mshanson3121

mshanson3121 DIS Veteran

I'm guessing within the next week. Last year it was Feb 12th.

11. Lee Matthews

Lee Matthews DIS Veteran

I’ve read and listened a lot recently online on podcasts about this and I know I am going to upset a lot of people but I actually now think Disney are doing the right thing, they need to start out pricing people in order to reduce the crowds. I can’t see how else they can do it.

When they day tickets start hitting $200 then I think the day guests will really start to thin out

anneboleyn and emilymad like this.
  12. McKelly

McKelly DIS Veteran

Does anyone remember if the park hoppper and water park options went up too? Or was it just the base ticket prices. If the park hopper did go up - how much per ticket?

13. a*lil*bit*goofy

a*lil*bit*goofy I miss the tag fairy

I assumed an increase was coming. We believe we will do dp on our aug trip, whether there is a “free” dp or not. So i added the dining on now (and hopper) just incase the fees go up. Well. WHEN they go up ....

mshanson3121 likes this.
  14. mshanson3121

mshanson3121 DIS Veteran

I just got an email from Disney Tourist Blog that the increase is rumored to be happening Feb 11th.

Ben E N likes this.
  15. theseacallsme

thank you! what is the new stipulation with tickets? i am pretty sure i'm going to wdw in november...if i buy a pass and don't go, i have a year to use it, right?

16. mshanson3121

mshanson3121 DIS Veteran

I have no idea about annual passes. I know that right now, regular tickets purchased need to be used by Dec 31/18. I don't know about anything after Feb 11th though.

17. dina444444

dina444444 DIS Veteran

The ticket will retain its value so if you don’t use it before it expires they will apply the value of the ticket to a valid ticket. I don’t know if this applies when buying tickets from 3 party vendors at a discount though.

mshanson3121 likes this.
  18. Jeff Laughlin

Jeff Laughlin Tearin' It Up

With this strategy, is it mainly the single day walk up guest that is being referred to? I can't see why Disney wouldn't want people filling their resorts, dining & buying merchandise.
    Fully operational parks would also help a bit. More things to keep people at Disney Springs too.

19. Lee Matthews

Lee Matthews DIS Veteran

Yep, over price the day tickets first and foremost, that will may then thin out the crowds and to compensate, increase price on annual passes etc over time

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    mshanson3121 likes this.
  20. theseacallsme

oh great to know. thank you!

21. famgel

famgel Mouseketeer

Would u be able to message me the code they might have sent in newsletter? Hubby deleted email Be accident ty!