Price increase show discussion

Yes, this. They won't actually lower prices. They'll just offer more deals and discounts and packages and specials. It's happened before; it will happen again,.

I think things like the new mid-day ticket option which are a lower price are a sign of this. I really don't think they would lower the regular ticket (maybe they shift so there are more "value" days or something) but we may see more of these types of tickets so that there are ways to "get into the park" for less money without lowering the price of the "standard" ticket

and of course they can roll out packages so that the total cost is lower than what you would pay today but only if you get the special promotion package

In addiction to the already mentioned factors, I wonder what impact the variable ticket structure is having on guests. I have an annual pass so it doesn’t impact me, but just looking at that ticket map thing intimidates me. Like what if I wanted to come a day earlier or add some days to my trip? It was much easier the old way when I could just turn my 7 day ticket into a 10 day ticket.

I added 4 days to my October trip a few months ago. I probably wouldn’t have even attempted that if I had a variable ticket.

Just another example of "getting less while paying more":

"Soon, Walt Disney World resorts will no longer allow companies to deliver and drop off goods with their bell services desks. That includes companies like stroller rentals, owner’s locker and food service companies. Here’s the details.

According to Kingdom Strollers, a trusted affiliate of this website, beginning October 1, 2019, guests who have not already reserved a stroller rental drop off will be required to meet a representative of a goods delivery service IN PERSON at the resort. This new change will affect ALL outside vendors as well."

https://www.kennythepirate.com/2019...-jfkIbwtFnjz8oJ50hbB2Cz4g61A6HmQB6iNslL3GP8pk

Just another example of "getting less while paying more":

"Soon, Walt Disney World resorts will no longer allow companies to deliver and drop off goods with their bell services desks. That includes companies like stroller rentals, owner’s locker and food service companies. Here’s the details.

According to Kingdom Strollers, a trusted affiliate of this website, beginning October 1, 2019, guests who have not already reserved a stroller rental drop off will be required to meet a representative of a goods delivery service IN PERSON at the resort. This new change will affect ALL outside vendors as well."

https://www.kennythepirate.com/2019...-jfkIbwtFnjz8oJ50hbB2Cz4g61A6HmQB6iNslL3GP8pk
I understand food and groceries, but for the premium they charge they should find a way to continue the stroller and ecv service. Plus, hasn't Disney been promoting an outside locker rental company to DVC members for a long time? I am sure Disney was getting a piece of the action when people signed up for that service and now it is much less attractive for the people who signed up for it.

I understand food and groceries, but for the premium they charge they should find a way to continue the stroller and ecv service. Plus, hasn't Disney been promoting an outside locker rental company to DVC members for a long time? I am sure Disney was getting a piece of the action when people signed up for that service and now it is much less attractive for the people who signed up for it.
Owners Locker has already reported that they are not affected. Disney has required non-approved vendors to meet with their customers at drop off and pick up for a few years now. It looks like this will just affect the “approved” vendors now.

DIdn't notice this thread before I posted this elsewhere:
I feel you... it's really breaking my heart. I hope they wake up and realize that, as Pete Werner put it, "WHEN IS IT TOO MUCH" ... or something like that. I totally agree with everything he said in the latest podcast. This needs to stop.

As food deliveries get more popular and easier and cheaper to do, the resort is going to end up becoming a small food store with all the groceries they have to take care of. I understand why they are doing this. They don't want to have to manage everything.

No idea why they want to do this with strollers though.

Per the recent discussion here about parks/safety, I had a chuckle when I just got this email: (This is about Action Park, in New Jersey)

And the title, "Class Action Park", made me think of you, @jcb - but in a GOOD way, I promise! Since you're always explaining "legalese stuff" to all of us! :)

During its 1980s heyday, Action Park in Vernon was known as the world’s most dangerous amusement park. From Director/Producer Chris Charles Scott and Seth Porges. Original musical score by The Holladay Brothers Video Credit: Class Action Park
A pair of filmmakers are producing a documentary about Action Park, the Sussex County amusement park that was legendary in North Jersey and the surrounding area for the injuries caused by its flat-out dangerous rides like the Alpine Slide and the Cannonball Loop.
"During its 1980s and 1990s heyday, New Jersey’s Action Park earned a reputation as the most insane — and possibly the most dangerous — amusement park that ever existed," filmmakers Chris Charles Scott and Seth Borges wrote about their upcoming feature-length film .
"Class Action Park" -- a joking reference to the lawsuits purportedly filed by injured park-goers -- will consist of interviews, previously un-publicized material and vintage footage in delving into the history of the park, which was closed in 1996 after about 20 years.
The two previously released a short documentary on the park.
Its attractions were meant to give the park-goer more control over the experience, but that also came at the expense of safety: at the Wave Pool, lifeguards were rescuing up to 30 people a day during peak periods. The Alpine Slide alone was responsible for at least 40 serious injuries, according to state records. A total of six people died at the park, including three who drowned in the Wave Pool.

The old Action Park site in Vernon is now home to Mountain Creek Waterpark, which opened in 2014 and meets modern safety standards.
The filmmakers have not given a precise release date but said the film is "coming soon."
OMG......I just watched the video.
That place was in a class all it's own.
The Wild, Wild West of parks.
I laughed out loud several times.

Last edited:
As food deliveries get more popular and easier and cheaper to do, the resort is going to end up becoming a small food store with all the groceries they have to take care of. I understand why they are doing this. They don't want to have to manage everything.

Sounds like the change only impacts strollers and mobility devices not groceries though

I know my brother and nieces are done with WDW. They flew to Orlando for 3 days over the March Break - only vacation time they could take - and went to the Magic Kingdom for one day. They stayed off site. No FP+ before hand and no ADRs. No perks. They managed 3 rides in one day and the crowds were overwhelming. I had offered to help ahead of time but they wouldn't have any of it. They were not interested at all in pre-planning their vacation. They had one day at the Magic Kingdom and that was it. They much preferred Universal for a walk up no plan visit. I believe they are in the majority when it comes to Orlando theme park visitors. They, and most others, refuse to spend hours pre-planning. My nieces have declared they now 'hate' Disney. Universal is the only park they will go to in the future. Pretty much sums up the reality of many casual WDW visitors. Planners like us, who pour over WDW fan sites, are the minority. Sometimes we forget.

I suspect it's a matter of storage space. If you have a couple dozen guests who have strollers and ECVs delivered to the resort in advance, Disney has to find a place to store them all until the guests come to retrieve them.

They were not interested at all in pre-planning their vacation.

They, and most others, refuse to spend hours pre-planning.

Pretty much sums up the reality of many casual WDW visitors. Planners like us, who pour over WDW fan sites, are the minority. Sometimes we forget.
Exactly. I would add that it isn't just that people refuse to pre-plan but also that the vast majority of guests aren't even aware of the need to do so or how to go about doing so. It's just such an entirely foreign concept. No matter how well-traveled you may be, Disney World is a completely different beast. Maybe you've gone to a museum that sold timed entry tickets in advance. Maybe you've dined at a popular restaurant that books up weeks in advance. But nothing prepares you for a trip to WDW. Booking your dining 6 months in advance just isn't normal. Reserving your ride times at an amusement park 2 months in advance just isn't normal. Even people who are kind of aware that that option exists often don't realize that it is much more of a need than they think.

The thing is for every price increase that causes someone to stop going to WDW completely or not as often, there is generally someone out there willing to take their place. And if they charged $10 for ME, people on the DISBoards would care, people who go to WDW all the time would care, people who are used to ME being free would care, but that family of 4 going to WDW for the very first time won’t have the same level of investment in free ME. It will just be the cost of going. And new visitors probably won’t care all that much.

Pete had mentioned on the DVC show that Disney doesn’t need to convince the “no way in hell” Riviera crowd to buy at Riviera. They just need to convince enough of the yes and maybe crowd to buy all the points. When people look at these prices increases, they think of their individual vacation plans. However, for every $10 price increase at WDW, there is someone out there thinking that the $10 increase is a deal. When my local Hyatt started charging $17 per night to park, I was outraged. Until I took the wife to San Francisco and we were charged $65 per night to park. Now $17 doesn’t seem all that bad.

Edit: I misunderstood the change. So you can still have these things delivered, just not in advance? You have to meet the delivery company?

That isn't as mad as I originally thought and was going to stop the deliveries all together.

The price hike is affecting us, but we will be going back in a few years. We have not sworn it off. Our trip in August was our last annual trip. We have gone for the past 5 years in a row (always offsite), but my husband needs a Disney break. Me, never. Even though I do agree with other that crowds and rude people can put a damper on everything and take the joy out of vacation. The ticket increase combined with all 5 of our children now needing a ticket means we will be going more like every 3 years instead. We are nowhere near wealthy, but are responsible with money for the most part. Disney is probably our biggest indulgence as a family. I drive a minivan that is a decade old, and I am ok with that. :-)

Besides the exorbitant ticket prices, Orlando is actually an affordable vacation spot for a large family. It's one of the many reasons we like going to Disney, and will be going back in the future. There are not many tourist attraction areas where we can get a timeshare, full condo or house for our family size for under $1000/week, with access to great pools and theme parks in close proximity. Flights from our area are frequent and usually reasonable, or we can make a 2 day drive down I-95 (which we have done on 2 of our trips). As long as we are OK staying offsite and doing almost all of our own meal prep, it's a great return on our investment. We can't do the typical Disney vacation staying at the resort with table service/character meals, and special things like the Bibbidi Boutique, etc. And we are ok with that. We do it our way so we can do it at all.

We are up in the Northeast and took a very quick 3 day trip to a ski town over February break last year. My kids did 1 day of skiing (lesson) and we took them tubing for a couple hours the second day. It was very expensive even though we rented a VRBO on the outskirts of town and only went out to eat once. I remember on the drive home my husband and I were chatting about it and both said we felt like we just paid for a trip to Disney! For our big family, going skiing is not so far off those park tickets! I guess the point I am trying to make is that many types of vacations can get expensive. You just have to decide whether it's worth it to spend that money, or if you can at all.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind the price increases if the value had gone up as well. But because they keep cutting costs and removing services (automated cameras instead of live photographers), attractions from special events (Peter Pan's Flight from EMM), etc. the value just isn't there like it was. There's nothing really justifying the price increases to the point the consumer is going to see immediate value upon their visit. As such, I'm not really regretting the decision to take a "Disney Break" to vacation elsewhere. Maybe in 2021 or later I'll return. But I'm not about to plunk down more cash than I have for this upcoming trip (my dad and I got a few of the extras and we are doing all of the activities requiring big bucks...but mainly because we decided this is our last visit for the next couple of years). Hopefully things will be better and a return to value (not necessarily lower prices) occurs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter