Priceline Bids/results

on 7-26-13, I bid for one night on a 3 star hotel, $38, for 8/12/13 and was accepted for $38, got Best Western Plus Orlando Gateway Hotel
3-star.gif
total after taxes and 5% discount was $48

the first only and (last?) time I bought a hotel room on Travelocity was at a best western. they treated us like scum. the room was above the laundry in the back of the hotel at the end of a poorly lit poorly kept hallway. they would not entertain the notion of changing rooms lamenting that if only we had booked via their website rather than online discounted site.

with priceline and hotwire do you get similar back of the hotel, inferior rooms, or do you get the 'next room available' when you check in?

thanks

the first only and (last?) time I bought a hotel room on Travelocity was at a best western. they treated us like scum. the room was above the laundry in the back of the hotel at the end of a poorly lit poorly kept hallway. they would not entertain the notion of changing rooms lamenting that if only we had booked via their website rather than online discounted site.

with priceline and hotwire do you get similar back of the hotel, inferior rooms, or do you get the 'next room available' when you check in?

thanks

I have found that it depends on availability at the hotel. If there are lots of rooms available, you *may* get some of the nicer rooms. If the hotel is fairly full, I have found that yes, you may get the least desirable rooms (i.e. across from the elevators or further from amenities). We still find it worthwhile considering the savings.

thanks

I've never felt I was treated any differently at the hotels I booked through Hotwire. The rooms were sometimes a little further from the lobby but I don't mind; the savings are worth it. I do stick to 4* though so I haven't felt like I was in a creepy place such as dimly lit, neglected areas.
I have stayed at the Hyatt in MCO many times through Hotwire & by booking direct and never felt any difference in my overall experience.

Hi all, just got full size rental car in at PIE, Tampa St. Pete airport, October 13-24 for $18/day. Way lower than published $38/day rentals on most all sites. This is big Allegiant Air destination.

Ted

Due to a major problem with the resort my DD and DSIL was supposed to stay at, they booked a last minute reservation with Hotwire. Got the Blue Heron for $67 a night for next Wednesday through Saturday nights. That threw her for a loop. She researched the bidding sites and thought she was getting the Holiday Inn.

I won a bid on a 3.5 star hotel for $40 a night. It ended up being the Allure Resort that used to be a Radisson. I was initially worried because there was a lot of reviews on tripadvisor saying things have been stolen from people's rooms. But the reviews are steadily getting better so fingers crossed the hotel is just going through some teething problems. I'll be staying there from the 9th until the 20th of July.

thanks

In hotels that offer different room types, you typically get the cheapest tier.

I have probably used Hotwire and Priceline over 50 times, and I make it a habit of asking the front desk clerk exactly what you've been wondering. They always tell me the same thing, 'no'. Again, some hotels have different room tiers (and you get the cheapest), but within the tier, its usually a first come first serve basis.

My suggestion is that when you go to check in, be cordial with the check-in clerk, ask them how their day is, and how occupancy is. They're used to cranky and demanding guests, so you'll be a breath of fresh air. They're human too. :) I also suggest you express your room preference before they grab your room. Sometimes they will accommodate you and sometimes they won't.

In Hollywood Beach, Reno, and Vegas, I've even negotiated cheap hotel room upgrades on top of a cheap Hotwire / Priceline booking. Yay. And in San Francisco, I got a great FREE upgrade with a Hotwire purchase.

For what its worth, I'm a big believer in families (or other groups of 3 or more travellers) choosing Hotwire over Priceline (worth a read). You'll pay a bit more but there are a few compelling reasons for doing so.

Sheraton Lake Buena Vista (4 stars)

2/19 - 2/26 (7 nights)

Winning bid $75

Total reservation with tax $608

Will have resort fees at check out between $120 - $140

Overall around $104 per night.

Has good reviews on most sites.

I'll follow up with a review when I return.

Has anyone had any luck booking airfare with priceline? We just booked airfare for $200 each for our trip in May!! I'm surprised they accepted that bid!!

I need to start looking at Priceline for Easter break. Sometimes i get nervous bidding.

Once I clicked my offer, I jumped back and kept peeking while William Shatner stared at me...lol

:tiptoe:

I read this topic and ventured onto Priceline. I received the Palms Hotel for 54/night for the first 2 days of our trip for Spring Break.
I am now a non-nervous Priceline user! The worst they can say is NO!
:)

Just won Caribe Royal for $89 per night
March 25th and 26th
Priceline
Bids of $80 and $85 were rejected

For what its worth, I'm a big believer in families (or other groups of 3 or more travellers) choosing Hotwire over Priceline (worth a read). You'll pay a bit more but there are a few compelling reasons for doing so.

I tend to agree with this. If you want a kitchen, for example, I'd go with Hotwire over Priceline. I'd probably only do Priceline if the savings were major, like more than $25 per night. Otherwise, I'll play it safe and do Hotwire.

Marriott World Center
$83 was declined but they counter-offered $97 and I accepted
Travel Dates 4/11/14 - 4/13/14
4 star
Zone: Disney Area - Lake Buena Vista East
Priceline
:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!