• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Princess 1/2 marathon and 10K-HELP

pixxi

Mouseketeer
So, I'm not a runner but I "can do anything" is my motto! I wanted to do a Disney 1/2 marathon for a few years and finally was able to enter on time. I thought I would challenge myself and do both runs. About 6-7 years ago I decided to do a triathalon and my goal was just to finish it and I did. I am 41 now and my body isn't in the greatest shape (and I'm having joint/arthritis issues-going to see MD in Aug) and the training will help.

I see some good information from Jeff Galloway but a lot of other running links are "not found" in the DISrun, I need help with all kinds of info. I went to the YMCA and did my own training for the triathalon and survived but these races are a bit more than I can chew right now, but I have time on my side.

I think I will start with the cough to 5K plan, is there some phone app that helps with that vs printing a info sheet? What about shoes, I work 12hour days and love New Balance but I have no idea what all the different numbers are. I get shin splints walking from work parking lot into the building if I walk fast, what can I do for that? What about clothes and chafing? Since I'm not in shape, is it better to start riding my bike for movement without stressing my legs too much at first? How do I keep track of my pace?

Where do I get more info on the race weekend and day? Are the chear squad passes important for my husband to pay for? I am kind of a planner and know I will feel overwhelmed and will start to panic, I'm doing the race by myself. What happens if I get swept if I can't keep pace? I'd love to stop to take a few pic's with characters but don't think I have the time to spare, are there other opportunities after the race? What do I eat and how much do I need to drink during races? Can I wear ear buds during the race, it will probably help me out mentally.

Last question for now, I have 4 children by c-section and have the lower scar and fold over fat in that area (like a low muffin top). I know that will bother me and ache when I am running does anyone wrap that close to their body? I have a large chest and make sure to bind those up well. I remember for the triathalon I didn't wear any special clothes and I paid the price of not knowing what I was doing with skin issues afterward.

ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!

:wave:
So, I'm not a runner but I "can do anything" is my motto! I wanted to do a Disney 1/2 marathon for a few years and finally was able to enter on time. I thought I would challenge myself and do both runs. About 6-7 years ago I decided to do a triathalon and my goal was just to finish it and I did. I am 41 now and my body isn't in the greatest shape (and I'm having joint/arthritis issues-going to see MD in Aug) and the training will help.

I see some good information from Jeff Galloway but a lot of other running links are "not found" in the DISrun, I need help with all kinds of info. I went to the YMCA and did my own training for the triathalon and survived but these races are a bit more than I can chew right now, but I have time on my side.

I think I will start with the cough to 5K plan, is there some phone app that helps with that vs printing a info sheet?
Jeff Galloway has an app. So does Couch To 5K, and runKeeper is a good one where you can program in your intervals.
What about shoes, I work 12hour days and love New Balance but I have no idea what all the different numbers are. I get shin splints walking from work parking lot into the building if I walk fast, what can I do for that?
Go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. The right ones for you may or may not be New Balance.

How old are your current shoes? I only get shin splints when my shoes are shot. When you get your new running shoes, keep track of how many miles are on them and pay extra attention when you get to 350 miles. A good pair should last 350-500 miles.
What about clothes and chafing?
Moisture-wicking clothes will be your best friend. Body Glide is good for anti-chafing, but the most important thing is that your clothes fit properly. If they're too big they'll rub on your skin and you'll chafe.
Since I'm not in shape, is it better to start riding my bike for movement without stressing my legs too much at first?
Sure! Or you could start walking and build up to 30 minutes of walking 3 times per week. Check out Jeff Galloway's conditioning plan on his website.
How do I keep track of my pace?
A running app or watch can do that for you.
Where do I get more info on the race weekend and day?
www.rundisney.com and race weekend trip reports
Are the chear squad passes important for my husband to pay for?
If he is mobile and has knowledge of the Disney transportation system and the race course(s) I don't think he would need it.
I am kind of a planner and know I will feel overwhelmed and will start to panic, I'm doing the race by myself. What happens if I get swept if I can't keep pace?
You'll board a bus that takes you to the finish area - But you do have lots of time to train! :)
I'd love to stop to take a few pic's with characters but don't think I have the time to spare, are there other opportunities after the race?
Yes!
What do I eat and how much do I need to drink during races?
That I cannot answer for you - you need to practice during training to figure out what works best for you.
Can I wear ear buds during the race, it will probably help me out mentally.
yes, but you need to be able to hear what's around you - other runners, on-course announcements, etc.
:)

Last edited:

I think I will start with the cough to 5K plan, is there some phone app that helps with that vs printing a info sheet? What about shoes, I work 12hour days and love New Balance but I have no idea what all the different numbers are. I get shin splints walking from work parking lot into the building if I walk fast, what can I do for that? What about clothes and chafing? Since I'm not in shape, is it better to start riding my bike for movement without stressing my legs too much at first? How do I keep track of my pace?

Where do I get more info on the race weekend and day? Are the chear squad passes important for my husband to pay for? I am kind of a planner and know I will feel overwhelmed and will start to panic, I'm doing the race by myself. What happens if I get swept if I can't keep pace? I'd love to stop to take a few pic's with characters but don't think I have the time to spare, are there other opportunities after the race? What do I eat and how much do I need to drink during races? Can I wear ear buds during the race, it will probably help me out mentally.

Last question for now, I have 4 children by c-section and have the lower scar and fold over fat in that area (like a low muffin top). I know that will bother me and ache when I am running does anyone wrap that close to their body? I have a large chest and make sure to bind those up well. I remember for the triathalon I didn't wear any special clothes and I paid the price of not knowing what I was doing with skin issues afterward.

ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED!

I will try to help where I can. I have not run a 1/2 marathon yet...just up to 10k but maybe others can chime in who have tackled that distance. The WDW 2017 marathon weekend thread is also a great resource for questions...met lots of nice people on there last year.

1) You can do anything! It will just take the training and people here are very supportive if you need support.
2) I used active.com's couch to 5k app for iphone when I did it last year. If you wear headphones it will alert you when to walk and when to run and it will show your pace and time on the screen. I bought a armband holder after I got tired of carrying it in my hand. Note that this couch to 5k gets you from run/walk to full running by the end. So it is up to you if you would rather try run/walk for the whole 10k/half or if you would rather try to run most of it. You probably will know what feels best by the time you get up the 5 minute or 8 minute run intervals if you want to switch to run/walk entirely (like galloway plans) or keep on going with running.
3) New balance is a good brand...stop in a NB store or a running store and ask if your current shoes would work for what you are planning to do or if you may need something more geared towards extended use for running and walking. Be up front about the shin splint concern. I do not have them so I cannot comment.
4) Your question about being in shape and biking...that was me last year! I suggest trying walking with no running first. Mix in some bike days. When you feel you are starting to get "good" at the walking and biking without feeling overly out of breath, go ahead and start your couch 2 5k. I did several weeks of taking long walks before I just dove in. In hindsight it was very helpful.
5) The cheer squad I did not do, so you should ask on the marathon thread! yes, there are characters after the race...I got my pic with Pluto right after. And I booked a character breakfast at Chef Mickeys after just in case I did not get a ton of pics during my race. Just an idea.
6) The what to eat part you can practice during all the months of training. It'll take some time to figure out what your body likes and doesn't. 7) I have a mommy tummy (no c-section) but I hear what you are asking. I like compression type capri leggins or shorts. You can find them at places like target or walmart if you don't want to fork over huge money on nike or other $$$ brands. I go for the higher waist variety than the low waist ones. It might be another case of trying things during your trainign to see what you like. Body Glide is also your friend. Looks like a deoderant stick but it helps with chafing in any spot that might chafe. We all use it...no shame in that...even the really fit folks.

I hope that helped at least a little :)

I have a large chest and make sure to bind those up well

I wanted to add something to the previous posters -- this caught my eye.

I'm a large chested runner and am in love with the sporst bras offered at Nordstrom. I wear the Wacoal Underwire sports bra and it's gotten me through 8 half marathons this year, plus a few 5Ks and 10Ks.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/wacoal-underwire-sports-bra/4425241

It's not "cute" or "sexy" by any means, but it holds me down. You want to be held in or you won't be able to run for very long. I would highly recommend getting fitted at the store, as I usually wear a 32GG and they put me into a 34G size due to the fit of the bra. Buy two - you'll get stinky and sweaty :)

Here is the difference between Galloway and Couch to 5K: Galloway is intended to have to run/walk/run for your race, and you can choose your intervals. C25K is intended to get you running straight through. It tells you what intervals to do and when to increase the run portion. Both work for some...both do not work for others. It just depends on what your goals are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter