Princess 2019: Should I run all 3??

Livelovedance

DIS Veteran
Princess 2018 was my first runDisney event, and I haven’t stopped thinking about next year’s event since then! I did the 5K & 10K, and decided that weekend that the next time I’m going to push myself and do the FTC.

Since I haven’t stopped thinking about it, now I’m debating doing all 3!

Pros:
- I’ll already be there, so why not!
- The 5K is untimed, so I can use it as a “warmup”
- If I end up loving the 5K theme after it’s announced, I won’t be kicking myself for not registering for it

Cons:
- 3 early wake ups in a row!
- I would have to leave the day/evening of the half because I would have to go back to work the next day (unless an unexpected snow storm delayed our trip back, which is possible in February! :upsidedow)
- It would be my first half, ever, so I already know I’ll be exhausted the next day at work. Would I make that worse by adding that extra early wake up on Friday?

Thoughts? Help support the obsession, or talk me off the ledge! I’m definitely going to do the challenge, it’s my motivation for really getting back into training. I’m just deciding whether or not it’s worth it to add the 5K. Thanks in advance!

If you're well-trained for the half, you should be well-trained enough to do all 3 races...though I totally get the nervousness you're feeling because it would be your first half. The challenge is, like you say, the wake-ups.

I did the 3 races for Princess in 2017 (after doing it for other race weekends) and I think I'm retiring from that. The 5K is EXPENSIVE. So expensive for a 5K. And the 5K course is incredibly similar to the 10K course (as you know from running it this year), so you don't really get any new experiences there. And it changed the feel of my trips because the exhaustion just sort of would build up over the course of the weekend from the wake-ups.

But it's really only a decision you can make for yourself. For me, when I was really drinking the runDisney Kool-Aid, it was worth the extra money/exhaustion/paid time off from work. I got an extra medal and race shirt, and more runDisney time. I guess that is what you have to think about!

I think it's worth doing at least once. I've done it two years in a row, but I won't be doing it next year. I just registered for the Dopey Challenge which is $$$$.

I think doing all 3 is doable if you train properly. I've done it a couple times and it's a blast, tiring of course & more entry fee money. Going forward I'm picking and choosing more since I've done it already. Now, my mom ran wine & dine half last year as her first half ever in her 60s & did the all 3 races. Will she ever do it again, no most likely but who knows, but she put the training in and did her goal. So, is it worth it? To me it was & to my mom it was, but it won't be an always have to do all the races. Not really talking you off the ledge, ha! The cotton 5k shirt isn't my favorite cause it's cotton, but another shirt & medal is always a plus too.

Last edited:

If you're well-trained for the half, you should be well-trained enough to do all 3 races...though I totally get the nervousness you're feeling because it would be your first half. The challenge is, like you say, the wake-ups.

I did the 3 races for Princess in 2017 (after doing it for other race weekends) and I think I'm retiring from that. The 5K is EXPENSIVE. So expensive for a 5K. And the 5K course is incredibly similar to the 10K course (as you know from running it this year), so you don't really get any new experiences there. And it changed the feel of my trips because the exhaustion just sort of would build up over the course of the weekend from the wake-ups.

But it's really only a decision you can make for yourself. For me, when I was really drinking the runDisney Kool-Aid, it was worth the extra money/exhaustion/paid time off from work. I got an extra medal and race shirt, and more runDisney time. I guess that is what you have to think about!

Yes it’s a tough decision! Only Disney would make me so conflicted over something that’s 10 months away! :laughing: The price is another factor I didn’t consider. I’m most concerned about the exhaustion. I’d hate to wake up the morning of the half and be exhausted. It wouldn’t make for a very fun first half marathon! I also don’t want going back to work the next day to be miserable either. It’s a lot to think about! Thanks for your comments!

I think it's worth doing at least once. I've done it two years in a row, but I won't be doing it next year. I just registered for the Dopey Challenge which is $$$$.

I’m so impressed by all who do the Dopey Challenge! :worship: I’m stressing over the 3 Princess events, I can’t even imagine what I’d be like planning for that! I agree, I definitely want to do it at least once. I just have to decide if this year is the year to do it. Thanks for your reply!

I think doing all 3 is doable if you train properly. I've done it a couple times and it's a blast, tiring of course & more entry fee money. Going forward I'm picking and choosing more since I've done it already. Now, my mom ran wine & dine half last year as her first half ever in her 60s & did the all 3 races. Will she ever do it again, no most likely but who knows, but she put the training in and did her goal. So, is it worth it? To me it was & to my mom it was, but it won't be an always have to do all the races. Not really talking you off the ledge, ha! The cotton 5k shirt isn't my favorite cause it's cotton, but another shirt & medal is always a plus too.

Lol no one has talked me off the ledge, but this is a forum for runDisney fans! If I asked outside of the DIS I’d probably get a very different response. :rotfl2: I definitely agree, I think it’ll be worth it and doable with training. I’m most concerned about the exhaustion the next day from the early wake ups and my first half marathon. I’ve got a lot to think about in the next couple months before registering! Thanks for your comments!

Cons:
- I would have to leave the day/evening of the half because I would have to go back to work the next day (unless an unexpected snow storm delayed our trip back, which is possible in February! :upsidedow)
- It would be my first half, ever, so I already know I’ll be exhausted the next day at work. Would I make that worse by adding that extra early wake up on Friday?
If you skipped the 5K, you would still have to go leave Sunday and go back to work Monday! I don't think waking up for the 5K a few days prior will really make a difference in how tired you'll be at work that day.

You might be more tired at the parks but if you rest/nap after the races and get to bed early I imagine you'd be fine! Maybe try doing some early morning runs prior to the race to get used to waking up early.

If you can afford to do all 3, go for it :) Why not?

I might try to do all 3 for Princess 2020 but I want to do the challenge for the first time in 2019!

If you skipped the 5K, you would still have to go leave Sunday and go back to work Monday! I don't think waking up for the 5K a few days prior will really make a difference in how tired you'll be at work that day.

You might be more tired at the parks but if you rest/nap after the races and get to bed early I imagine you'd be fine! Maybe try doing some early morning runs prior to the race to get used to waking up early.

If you can afford to do all 3, go for it :) Why not?

I might try to do all 3 for Princess 2020 but I want to do the challenge for the first time in 2019!
All good points! I thought I was crazy for considering it but everyone’s comments are making it seem like my “crazy thoughts” might turn into a reality. :disrocks:

Oh one more thing for me anyway is the benefit of each early wake up makes the next night going to bed easier. So, by the time it's the night before the half I'm ready for bed somewhat early making getting up before the half a lot easier. Of course it cuts evening park time a little shorter, but I've learned to live with that aspect.

Oh one more thing for me anyway is the benefit of each early wake up makes the next night going to bed easier. So, by the time it's the night before the half I'm ready for bed somewhat early making getting up before the half a lot easier. Of course it cuts evening park time a little shorter, but I've learned to live with that aspect.
That is a definite positive that I didn’t even consider. I’ve already accepted that there won’t be much evening park time for this visit, which is completely fine with me. If I’m going to put my time and money into the runs I want to really enjoy them! At this point I’m 99% sure I’m going to do all 3. Thanks everyone!

The 5K is almost $90 for registration + Active fees ... for me, I'm kinda over the 5Ks now that I've done most all of them. I can find a way to spend that $90 elsewhere during an entire day at Disney and I think that's where I'd rather spend my money these days. Just my preference, though!

I think it really depends, I have done all three for Princess and the now defunct Tink. I think it's a lot of money like Keels said and having an early wake up call one more morning would prevent me from doing it again. I would absolutely recommend doing it once though. It's a different feel running around World Showcase at sunrise, one you may or may not get during the 10k depending on your corral/pace. Also, if you plan to stop for character pictures there are sometimes different characters out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter