Princess half marathon day 2020 at MK

Isabelle12345

DIS Veteran
Anyone has done this in 2019? we are planning a trip the week starting princess half marathon weekend and were planning on hitting MK on the Sunday (not running the half)
Aside from planning extra time to get to the parks, any input as to crowds / PhotoPass for castle pictures / PPO reservations for be our guest?
We will be traveling with young kids so not planning on riding the big rides but we would like to be there at rope drop, planning FastPass early (9:15-11:15ish) early lunch, then take a long afternoon break at the resort (1-5ish) and head back to the park for a few rides (hopefully) and fireworks.
Does that make sense or will the half marathon ruin our plans?
We are planning on staying at Pop or AOA
Thanks for any experience/input!

Your biggest issue will be transportation. Leave extra early. At rope drop you likely will encounter the race. The majority will be through that area by 9AM but the transportation will still be backed up. Early in the morning on race day they tend to drop off at the TTC as the race course runs through the bus stop area and if the course isn’t cleared yet you have to take the monorail or ferry from the TTC to MK.

Once the race is through you’ll see no impact whatsoever. Everything should be cleaned up in the park by 9AM. It’s just your arrival that may have some issues.

When you say early, would that mean leaving the hotel before 7:00-7:15?
And would using bus transportation be less effective than Minnie vans or Lyft?

If the last person starts the half at 6:30, with the time limit being a 16 minute mile, they are to, through, and out of MK by 8:06. So runners-in-the-park won’t be an issue for you.

But the lane closures will be a thing.

It’s the one time I’d take Disney transportation there (I do not enjoy doing so in general), and definitely leave early.

I did MK rope drop on Princess Half Sunday in 2018, I was running in it in 2019.

As others have said, it's getting to MK where you will likely run into delays. The course (traditionally) goes north on World Drive between Epcot and MK, under the water bridge, by CR, in through the MK bus station, then into MK. World Drive being closed means everyone (buses, cars, etc) have to take various detours. The MK bus plaza is totally inaccessible, so buses, Minnie Vans, etc drop off at the TTC.

For some context, in 2018 I left BWI via Minnie Van at 7:08am. My driver was misinformed about the best route - he thought he could get me to the MK bus plaza (wrong). He dropped me off at CR at 7:42am. 7.2 miles, 33 minutes. You can't walk from CR to MK when runners are still on the course, so I took the Resort monorail all the way around. (My Minnie Van travel time would have been a bit shorter if he had taken me to TTC)

I was walking into MK around 8:03am. Runners will still be entering MK at this time. Main Street is pretty much divided in half - park guests (and the cheer squad) on one side, runners on the other.

Around 8:15/8:20'ish, the last runners were through Main Street and any trace that there had even been a runD event going on quickly vanished.

It was a great morning, by the way. The transportation challenges generally mean a slower arriving crowd. Just leave well early as detours and delays abound out on the roads.

Hope that helps!

I did MK rope drop on Princess Half Sunday in 2018, I was running in it in 2019.

As others have said, it's getting to MK where you will likely run into delays. The course (traditionally) goes north on World Drive between Epcot and MK, under the water bridge, by CR, in through the MK bus station, then into MK. World Drive being closed means everyone (buses, cars, etc) have to take various detours. The MK bus plaza is totally inaccessible, so buses, Minnie Vans, etc drop off at the TTC.

For some context, in 2018 I left BWI via Minnie Van at 7:08am. My driver was misinformed about the best route - he thought he could get me to the MK bus plaza (wrong). He dropped me off at CR at 7:42am. 7.2 miles, 33 minutes. You can't walk from CR to MK when runners are still on the course, so I took the Resort monorail all the way around. (My Minnie Van travel time would have been a bit shorter if he had taken me to TTC)

I was walking into MK around 8:03am. Runners will still be entering MK at this time. Main Street is pretty much divided in half - park guests (and the cheer squad) on one side, runners on the other.

Around 8:15/8:20'ish, the last runners were through Main Street and any trace that there had even been a runD event going on quickly vanished.

It was a great morning, by the way. The transportation challenges generally mean a slower arriving crowd. Just leave well early as detours and delays abound out on the roads.

Hope that helps!
It helps a lot!!! Thanks!

We have never stayed on site
Is a 7:15 departure reasonable if we want to be on main street around 8:30?
Will the express monorail be open or just the resort monorail at that time?

I would seriously reconsider going to MK on race day. We were staying at the WL on race day last year and could see the huge traffic backups on the road leading to the bus depot. They drop it down to one lane for traffic with each direction taking turns. We have taken the boat from WL and have had no problems getting into MK on race morning. But the guests coming in from other resorts have a tough journey. The park is pretty empty first thing in the morning because of how long it takes for people to arrive.

Would it be possible then to get a Uber to WL and then take the boat?
Or would it be backed up the same way?

We stayed at AKV last year and went to MK the morning of the Princess Half. The route closures are no joke. We left very early and were still on the bus for well over an hour, probably closer to 1:15. However it was a great time once we arrived due to light crowds. We are hoping to stay closer to MK this coming year.

We stayed at AKV last year and went to MK the morning of the Princess Half. The route closures are no joke. We left very early and were still on the bus for well over an hour, probably closer to 1:15. However it was a great time once we arrived due to light crowds. We are hoping to stay closer to MK this coming year.
How early did you leave the hotel?
We are also planning on MK on princess half day (the only date that fits for us)
I was thinking of leaving around 7:00 from Pop hoping to get to TTC around 7:45-8:00... does that sound possible?

How early did you leave the hotel?
We are also planning on MK on princess half day (the only date that fits for us)
I was thinking of leaving around 7:00 from Pop hoping to get to TTC around 7:45-8:00... does that sound possible?
IIRC we were at the Kidani bus stop by 7:45 and into MK at the end on Main Street around 9:15. Someone told me to budget double the normal commuting time. I should also add that they dropped us at the MK bus stop vs the TTC like we expected.

Edited: I guess 7:45 isn’t a very early hour but it was well in advance of when we planned to arrive.

Last edited:
IIRC we were at the Kidani bus stop by 7:45 and into MK at the end on Main Street around 9:15. Someone told me to budget double the normal commuting time. I should also add that they dropped us at the MK bus stop vs the TTC like we expected.

Edited: I guess 7:45 isn’t a very early hour but it was well in advance of when we planned to arrive.
Thanks that’s very helpful
That’s what I was hoping for - I guess the earlier we leave the easier it will be on the road (although I am still planning on a full hour to get to MK...)
Since it will be our first day I am hoping it will be easier to be ready bright and early!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter