Princess Weekend 2020

I haven't booked my room yet, as I am a DVC member I usually wait for the 7 month window and see what's available at other resorts LOL.

I'll echo bumbershoot's comments, if possible I'd go ahead and book your home resort if staying at a DVC property is important to you. With that weekend being the same as the Mardi Gras holiday, half the state of Louisiana and Alabama will be rolling in to WDW. I would think this will effect availability at any of the DVC resorts.

Does anyone have any advice for signing up for both the challenge and the 5k on June 4? I don't want to get one and not the other. I'm not opposed to doing charity again if needed, but would like to try to get the races through general registration.

I am very new to this event (races in general!)- do we need to register the moment it drops? Is it like free dining where you stay up all night and refresh every min or two? Also, I am planning on the 5K and the rest of my family is planning the 1/2. Would the 5K be fun for them, too? Do you see different parts of the park? We would not run together in any case.

Also, is there an advantage to staying near Epcot? I understand you cannot walk to the start - but can you walk back after? My usual source for all info WDW is not a runDisney person, so I am feeling a bit at a loss.

Thanks!

With that weekend being the same as the Mardi Gras holiday

Oof. I did not know that.

Does anyone have any advice for signing up for both the challenge and the 5k on June 4?

5k first.

Would the 5K be fun for them, too? Do you see different parts of the park?

It’s to and in backstage and main parts of Epcot.

It can be fun. Just makes for another EARLY morning.

Also, is there an advantage to staying near Epcot? I understand you cannot walk to the start - but can you walk back after

If you have a ticket and the park is open when you’re looking to return, you can walk through. But if you plan on a non-Epcot park later that day, the ticket has to be a hopper.

I am very new to this event (races in general!)- do we need to register the moment it drops?

In the past, yes. 2019, things didn’t sell out. Well I think the 10k, but other distances were available through rundisney or charities (they did NOT sell out), which was very very weird. I personally don’t know if it was just falling interest in running, the effect of not having Anaheim races, or a temporary dip until a bigger deal year (anniversaries are big with rundisney)...or something totally different.

I’m planning on behaving as though it will sell out fast.

Does anyone have any advice for signing up for both the challenge and the 5k on June 4? I don't want to get one and not the other. I'm not opposed to doing charity again if needed, but would like to try to get the races through general registration.

The 5K sells out the fastest. Like... in 10 minutes fast. So if you want to do all three races (which I HIGHLY recommend as that's what I do every year) then register for the 5K first, then the challenge. Although now that Run Disney owns the registration process; you might be able to select both the 5K and Challenge races all together.

I can't remember.... which is super embarrassing as I just signed up for the Wine & Dine?! :rolleyes1

I'll echo bumbershoot's comments, if possible I'd go ahead and book your home resort if staying at a DVC property is important to you. With that weekend being the same as the Mardi Gras holiday, half the state of Louisiana and Alabama will be rolling in to WDW. I would think this will effect availability at any of the DVC resorts.

I didn't know it was the Mardi Gras holiday as well....Now I'm reconsidering my home resort for now until 7 month opens up....

We have already booked our resort for Princess 2020, this will be our first runDisney event. My wife and I will at least be running the half and my daughter and MIL are planning on the 5k.

Planning on doing the 10 with my dd. We’ve done several 5’s so far, and figured the 10 would be a good next step. I e already got BWV booked for that Fri/Sat. We have a condo booked for the 20-28 but wanted BW for the night prior to the race.

Considering taking my then 4 and 5 year old for the Princess weekend, and doing the half marathon with my wife.

Anyone ever done the 5k with a 5 year old? Anyone really annoyed with parents that do a 5k with a 5 year old? Trying to decide between the 1 miler (we've done plenty of those at home) and the 5k.

Anyone ever done the 5k with a 5 year old? Anyone really annoyed with parents that do a 5k with a 5 year old?

The 5k is very congested.

Here’s the hard part with kids.

Plus, they don’t tend to want to run. They want to sprint then stop and take heaving breaths then repeat. They are unpredictable. That’s hard for people around them. They are small and hard to see.

If you’re going to do it, stay to the side (and expect people to go even further to the side and pass you). Make sure she stays right next to you. At the minions 5k there were multiple parent-child pairs where the whining & dramatic child was in the middle of the running path, blocking people, as the parent was on the side yelling at the child. Don’t do that. Child stays next to you, on the side. (And btw these were kids older than 5)

I think the short runs are a lot of fun for the littles. And I’m glad I didn’t do a Disney 5k with my son until he was 9, and we’d had practice elsewhere and he was good at course etiquette.

The 5k is very congested.

Here’s the hard part with kids.

Plus, they don’t tend to want to run. They want to sprint then stop and take heaving breaths then repeat. They are unpredictable. That’s hard for people around them. They are small and hard to see.

If you’re going to do it, stay to the side (and expect people to go even further to the side and pass you). Make sure she stays right next to you. At the minions 5k there were multiple parent-child pairs where the whining & dramatic child was in the middle of the running path, blocking people, as the parent was on the side yelling at the child. Don’t do that. Child stays next to you, on the side. (And btw these were kids older than 5)

I think the short runs are a lot of fun for the littles. And I’m glad I didn’t do a Disney 5k with my son until he was 9, and we’d had practice elsewhere and he was good at course etiquette.

Great input. Our 5 year old is pretty good at run / walk intervals (I coach her through running and walking and it’s one of the few things she listens to me about!). But, you’re right about running etiquette. It may be too much for her to grasp, and with such a congested 5k it may be very overwhelming to her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!