• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

PrincessJasmine's vegetarian reviews (and my family's non-vegetarian perspective)

Boma is one place that has great vegie options. We also got a bit tired of pasta. What's even more of a problem are kids meals. How many meals of mac/cheese and pizza can they eat? Especially since my 6yo is not a pizza and mac/cheese eater. To make matters even worse, he is not a big pasta eater, either, even though he will eat it sometimes (just not day after day). He ate a lot of vegie burgers, which he does like. His very favorite thing was the Mediterranean counter serve place in Epcot.

One hidden thing that I've heard has meet is orange juice that is enriched with calcium. I've heard that it has ground up bones. I haven't confirmed it for sure, but I don't buy it any more. :scared:

Tigger&Belle said:
I haven't finished reading the reviews (thanks, Jasmine, I'm really enjoying them--I followed your link from your dog in the car thread. My whole family is vegie, from my DH and myself, to our 4 kids--6-18yo).

As to the Sci-Fi and sharing a car...my 18yo DD and I ate here last January and it was a highlight, including sharing the car. That made the meal, mainly because we were seated with 2 CMs who made it so much fun. At their urging, we did a Chinese fire drill and really had a fun meal. We still talk about it. Of course it depends on you, but my DD tends to be a bit on the shy side and even she really enjoyed it (me--I talk to any and everyone who will talk to me, so it's perfect for me).

We're lacto-ovo and we do eat marshmallows. I know that they are not vegie and I am strict about things in general, but do let that slide. It's one of the few things that I let slide, and I ask about meat or meat juices in refried beans, rice, and everything else.

OK, back to reading the reviews. :teeth:

Hey Tigger&Belle, glad you found the link from my post about the fact that I am a dog abuser... :rolleyes:

I never thought about meat juices in refried beans. Is that a common thing to add to the beans? "Meat juices..." that just sounds so gross!

We are definitely trying Boma next trip. My parents hate buffets, they think they are too expensive in WDW. I agree on that point, but I love the variety that buffets offer, veggies have a better chance of finding variety. I have heard so many vegetarians recommend Boma, it must be the place to go!

PrincessJasmine08 said:
Which country?

Morocco. http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/men_tg.htm We don't like tabouleh, so had them substitute extra hummus. We bought extra rice and bread and there was plenty of food for the two of us to share. One platter would be plenty for one person and a great change from pasta. :) And there's plenty of other stuff for any meat eating family members.

I think that more and more Mexican restaurants are making their beans/rice vegetarian, but some are not good about it. Rio Grande Cafe, for example, at least used to not very long ago be terrible. We just don't eat there.

By the way, we found a lot of places to eat in your area when we were there earlier this month. My 12yo did most of the research and we found quite a few places that we liked. Except when my boys would go to one place they liked, they wanted to return. Have you been to Bravo Italian Kitchen (I think that's what it's called)? That was a great place for use to eat since they were very accommodating about making whatever we wanted to eat. We also ate at Dewey's, Donatos, Moes, and a mexican restaurant, but I can't remember the name.

Tigger&Belle said:
Morocco. http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/men_tg.htm We don't like tabouleh, so had them substitute extra hummus. We bought extra rice and bread and there was plenty of food for the two of us to share. One platter would be plenty for one person and a great change from pasta. :) And there's plenty of other stuff for any meat eating family members.

I think that more and more Mexican restaurants are making their beans/rice vegetarian, but some are not good about it. Rio Grande Cafe, for example, at least used to not very long ago be terrible. We just don't eat there.

By the way, we found a lot of places to eat in your area when we were there earlier this month. My 12yo did most of the research and we found quite a few places that we liked. Except when my boys would go to one place they liked, they wanted to return. Have you been to Bravo Italian Kitchen (I think that's what it's called)? That was a great place for use to eat since they were very accommodating about making whatever we wanted to eat. We also ate at Dewey's, Donatos, Moes, and a mexican restaurant, but I can't remember the name.

I am definitely trying Morocco on our next trip! We ate at the table service place in Morocco a few years ago and I didn't care for it, but I think I just ordered the wrong thing. The vegetarian platter at Morocco sounds great. I will try it, I love hummus and tabouleh!

We LOVE Bravo. Their chopped salad is really great, it's my favorite thing there. They also have great pizzas and a ravioli dish that I love. We go to Bravo often, it has a lot of options for both meat eaters and vegetarians. My dad is obsessed with Dewey's, if it was up to him we would eat there every night! It is very good though, they also have awesome salads. I have never heard of Moe's, where is that located?

Thanks for the tip on Tangerine Cafe!

You haven't been to Moe's? :faint: :rotfl: It's counter serve Mexican, kind of like Salsarita's or Baja Fresh. But the really nice thing for vegetarians is that you get to choose your "protein" on most items and tofu is one of those proteins. I wasn't sure about tofu on a burrito, but it's great to have that as an option and it's nice that the entrees are not made as meat entrees and it's not a special order to get them vegetarian. Everyone is picking and choosing what they want. Not sure exactly where you are, but there are a few locations, including one in Newport. We went to one not far from Kings Island in Mason. They are all over the country, but not too close to us here in Maryland. http://www.moes.com/ We ended up going back a second time.

Tigger&Belle said:
You haven't been to Moe's? :faint: :rotfl: It's counter serve Mexican, kind of like Salsarita's or Baja Fresh. But the really nice thing for vegetarians is that you get to choose your "protein" on most items and tofu is one of those proteins. I wasn't sure about tofu on a burrito, but it's great to have that as an option and it's nice that the entrees are not made as meat entrees and it's not a special order to get them vegetarian. Everyone is picking and choosing what they want. Not sure exactly where you are, but there are a few locations, including one in Newport. We went to one not far from Kings Island in Mason. They are all over the country, but not too close to us here in Maryland. http://www.moes.com/ We ended up going back a second time.

Oh, I'm a big Chipotle fan. It sounds just like Moe's. However, they don't offer tofu. I just get my burrito with beans and rice and their wonderful guacamole! :thumbsup2 I am going to seek out a Moe's near us...

There's a lot more variety than Chipotle. Of course if you're like me, you get the same thing every time at Chipotle or any of those places, so it doesn't really matter how many choices there are. And for your parents (or you if you're over 21...) I think there are margaritas, even though I didn't have one. I like Chipotle's guac, too. My DD doesn't like the guac, so when she goes she gets it on the side and brings it home to me and I use it to make a quesadilla. :cool1:

Tigger&Belle said:
There's a lot more variety than Chipotle. Of course if you're like me, you get the same thing every time at Chipotle or any of those places, so it doesn't really matter how many choices there are. And for your parents (or you if you're over 21...) I think there are margaritas, even though I didn't have one. I like Chipotle's guac, too. My DD doesn't like the guac, so when she goes she gets it on the side and brings it home to me and I use it to make a quesadilla. :cool1:

Yep, I'm like you, same thing every time, I don't even have to think about it! I won't be 21 until December so I'll keep that tip in mind until then...

Love the dining recaps!

DH and I have been vegetarian for 13/10 years respectively, and it can sometimes be a challenge to find stuff to eat around WDW that isn't the same old thing!

We are having lunch this weekend at 50's PTC, and were not looking forward to the stuffed pepper. Sounds like we'll be making a call to the chef!

The coconut crusted tofu noodle bowl at HBD is SO GOOD. My DH hates coconut, so he just had it with grilled tofu. He did not know what he was missing but he wouldn't try it. :confused3

I was wondering if you knew about the gelatin in certain marshmallows. Not all of them have it, but most of the popular brands do. Fluff does not, though. This stinks because we always want to make smore's when we go camping but can't! Gelatin actually sneaks into a lot of things when you check the labels. It is as prolific as chicken stock! Yuck!

People always ask why I don't eat that because they don't know what it is. They are totally grossed out when I tell them, but they don't stop with their carnivorous ways. :rolleyes:

Glad to see so many other vegs here!

druidia said:
Love the dining recaps!

DH and I have been vegetarian for 13/10 years respectively, and it can sometimes be a challenge to find stuff to eat around WDW that isn't the same old thing!

We are having lunch this weekend at 50's PTC, and were not looking forward to the stuffed pepper. Sounds like we'll be making a call to the chef!

The coconut crusted tofu noodle bowl at HBD is SO GOOD. My DH hates coconut, so he just had it with grilled tofu. He did not know what he was missing but he wouldn't try it. :confused3

I was wondering if you knew about the gelatin in certain marshmallows. Not all of them have it, but most of the popular brands do. Fluff does not, though. This stinks because we always want to make smore's when we go camping but can't! Gelatin actually sneaks into a lot of things when you check the labels. It is as prolific as chicken stock! Yuck!

People always ask why I don't eat that because they don't know what it is. They are totally grossed out when I tell them, but they don't stop with their carnivorous ways. :rolleyes:

Glad to see so many other vegs here!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the reviews, I enjoyed writing them!

Yes, I learned about the marshmallows/gelatin a few pages back! I will now get my marshmallow fix from fluff! :thumbsup2

I just wanted to let you know, incase you ever decide to try it again. I ate at Sci-Fi last year (july 2005), and I had the potato bake thing. I thought it was excellent. I'm REALLY surprised your server told you not to try it!!! Maybe I just got it on a really good night? And don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting a gourmet meal, but for the style of the restaurant, and the menu I was REALLY impressed. And I really didn't notice a lot of peppers in it, so if you got it w/o I don't think it would take away too much from the meal. What I remember was the potatoes, which were really good, and the mushrooms and eggplant, and the sauce that was drizzled over it. I'm a huge potato fan so that probably made me really enjoy it.

Has anyone else tried it? Am I the only one that really enjoyed it? :confused3

I had the spinach artichoke dip also and it was great.

Also, I hope there really is a vegetarian menu @ san angel in because we have adrs there in a week and a half, my boyfriend will be really upset if there is nothing veggie. He LOVES mexican food, and most of the mexican places by us either have some vegetarian stuff on the menu, or will use pinto beans or black beans as a replacement. He really wants to go to this restaurant so I hope it works out.

tricia.

I have an ADR at Sci-Fi this December, and I think I will probably try the potato thing. Worst case scenario I have to send it back and ask for something else. I also love potatoes so hopefully I will like it, I'll at least give it a try!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter