Private Transfer vs DCL Transport from WDW Hotel to Port Canaveral

Jennx36

Mouseketeer
My family is considering staying two nights at a WDW hotel prior to our cruise. We don't want to rent a car. From reading other threads, it seems if I book transportation through DCL, our luggage will be picked up from our hotel room and "magically" be delivered to our stateroom. This sounds amazing, but it looks like we wouldn't get to the port until well after boarding has started. I would like to be at the cruise port early to get on the ship as soon as my boarding group is invited to board. Are private transfers worth the extra cost of getting to the cruise port early? I've only taken one cruise out of Port Canaveral, and I can't remember how cumbersome the luggage drop off was. Would those of you that have used these options be so kind as to share your experiences?

Since the COVID restart, WDW resort transfers are now some of the earlier port arrival times and BGs. I believe mine was 11:30 with a BG of 6? I believe they were on BG 4 or 5 when we arrived at the line to check in for security.

ETA: What's your Castaway status? If you book your own transfers, your status will determine what PATs are available when you go to check in. My mom was a first time cruiser, and I think her PAT was something like 1 PM?

Last edited:
Luggage drop-off is easy: there are porters outside the cruise terminal who will take your bags almost as soon as you arrive.

The poster above is correct that in the past few years, buses from Walt Disney World have typically been arriving at the port early in the boarding process. DCL’s goal appears to be to have people in the cruise terminal for as short a time as possible, so that people on Disney busses arrive at the port and board before most other guests’ Port Arrival Times.

As sponica mentioned, you may not get an early PAT if you book your own transportation. If your goal is convenience and boarding the ship shortly after boarding begins, the DCL bus is a good option. Depending on your party size, a private car may be less expensive.

We just took the Disney transfers from Saratoga Springs a week ago. We were boarding group 6 and on the ship by 11:30, probably 30-45 minutes after the first group. Luggage picked up from our room was easy and you keep the bags in the room near the door, they knock quietly, then take your bags and they appear at your cabin later in the day.

Thank you for the info! We are silver members, but we sprung for concierge this cruise. I am hoping my littles can get in a few runs on the water slides before the lines get too long. We are a party of 4, so I think the DCL transfer would be more cost efficient.

Thank you for the info! We are silver members, but we sprung for concierge this cruise. I am hoping my littles can get in a few runs on the water slides before the lines get too long. We are a party of 4, so I think the DCL transfer would be more cost efficient.

If you're concierge, it doesn't matter, I think you can board whenever you want. I think at 4 people is where the calculation can go either way as to which method is more cost effective.

Price it out. $180 in DCL transfer (assuming it’s the same price from resorts as airport) might be more or about the same as a private ride. For one person, the shuttle is almost always a better deal. Even at two people, you start looking for options. Four is almost never a better price than the DCL bus.

Depending on your car seat needs, I would think arriving at the port as early as possible, in the very relaxed manner of a private transfer, would be one if the benefits of booking Concierge that would be an easy yes! Especially as it’s one of your wishes.

(The legal rules for car seats don’t apply in hired vehicles. But some families want that security of a seat. I get it; we have been in seat belts since before laws required it. The DCL bus is not going to have them.)

And you don’t have to have everything packed and ready to go at the crack of dawn.

sponica is correct that being concierge you get to board when you want. You will not need to schedule a port arrival time.
Being concierge you will be among the first to board before any other groups if you are there early enough.

However, if you use the Disney transportation from the resorts I doubt you would be there as soon as you can be with private transportation.

Boarding usually starts around 11:00-11:15 if I remember correctly and goes pretty fast through the first groups.

If you want to assure you will be among the first to board, I would use private transportation and arrive at the port as soon as you are allowed.

Cost will not be a huge difference, but maybe a little. With the DCL bus you wont have a PAT, and with concierge, you can get on when you get there. You could get a private car to drop you as soon as the doors open, dealing with others doing the same, get through the lines and on board when they clear the ship, maybe 11:15-11:30. Or take the DCL bus, watch cartoons on the ride, not have to worry about lines at the door, arrive, get through check in and on the ship 11:30-12? Yes it may be a few more minutes, but at least for us, getting to the terminal earlier was worse, seeing the ship and not getting on was a terrible way to spend an hour. We prefer to wait at the resort for a little longer and pretty much walk right on as you arrive. And I consider the start of the cruise when the cartoons start on the bus! To us, the 30 min difference getting on the ship is worth the bus ride immersion. I know private companies have great reputations and would get us there, but there is something about the bus that adds to tee mood.

So am I understanding right that your Boarding Group doesn't matter if you get there with the DCL bus? Cause that's kind of a great perk IMO!
We're going on the Treasure in March, and I was thinking of renting a car but if I don't have to deal with the pick-up/drop-off of the rental and only get there 45 min later I'm thinking it's worth it for us!

Sorry OP for the thread hi-jack, hope it's ok 😊

So am I understanding right that your Boarding Group doesn't matter if you get there with the DCL bus? Cause that's kind of a great perk IMO!
We're going on the Treasure in March, and I was thinking of renting a car but if I don't have to deal with the pick-up/drop-off of the rental and only get there 45 min later I'm thinking it's worth it for us!

The bus from the resorts or the Hyatt at MCO - no midnight rush for PAT. It’s automatically assigned and early/low numbers.

The bus for arriving flights, airport to port - still have to pick PAT.

I would like to be at the cruise port early to get on the ship as soon as my boarding group is invited to board.
We were picked up by DCL transport at AKL in January. We had boarding group 4 and they were just calling it as we got through the check-in and security at the port. And they started boarding much earlier than our previous cruise last September. You'd likely be at the port as or before your boarding group is called.

this is literally the reason we always book cruise transfers. not even a question in our minds.

The bus from the resorts or the Hyatt at MCO - no midnight rush for PAT. It’s automatically assigned and early/low numbers.

The bus for arriving flights, airport to port - still have to pick PAT.
If I end up with a late PAT upon online check-in, can I then choose to add the Disney bus transfer to get an earlier one?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter