Problematic situation - thoughts appreciated

Germs are everywhere all of the time time---year round, not just at flu season. You could catch the flu, norovirus, stomach bug, or heck even get food poisoning whether you are on vacation or not. But if you spent all the time in the world worrying about preventing sickness---you would miss a lot going on around you. I will admit I become much more of a germophob after becoming a mom and now having two young children myself. We try to practice good hand washing, I keep antibacterial wipes in my purse for when needed and we go on with our lives. Probiotics and vitamins leading up to and during the trip for everyone might not be a bad idea either. TAKE THE TRIP! You will be happy you did. Experiencing Disney with a LO at that age is amazing! If you end up sick---then deal with it as needed. They have some great urgent care facilities in the area, but odds are probably more in your favor or having a wonderful and healthy trip!

Here goes... We have 4 kids and no one in our house has ever had the flu shot!!! My bf from college lives overseas and laughs at me when the discussion comes up as it is not very popular there. I guess I'm kind of old school and I understand people die from the flu but every year it is the same story. They claim the shot is not for the correct strand. You can not live in a fishbowl so I say go and enjoy your vacation. The above posters are correct, your family could pick up the flu anywhere, school, church, stores. Wash hands often and have the time of your life.

Go. I'm a nurse and I can tell you from seeing it day in and day out, that this year's flu shot is not giving protection from this particular strain of flu, like it's only 33% (if that ) effective. The particular strain of flu this year (H3N2) was difficult to make a vaccine for because it kept mutating. A lot of the patients we see with the flu have had the shot, if that tells you anything. Take a deep breath, use good hand washing techniques, don't touch surfaces after washing, use a paper towel to open bathroom doors, hand sanitizer wipes for tables or grubby hands etc... and just go and enjoy Disney with your family and don't worry about something that might not even happen. ENJOY!!

We didn't get the flu vaccination, not even the kids. I used to, many years ago but would fall sick, very sick anyway and DH never did and would be fine. I stopped and it wasn't any different or there were years when I was perfectly fine when others around me were not.

Fast forward to this year - we have a trip coming up in a few days and with the flu season going as it is, I think we should postpone. I am kicking myself and have promised myself to get the shot for myself and kids going forward but it's too late for kiddo now as it takes 6 weeks with the 2 shots to work. It's 2 shots for kids who have never had it as 1st is not useful without the 2nd I am told.

I have linked the tickets to MDE but I know they are valid till end of 2018. DH didn't take it well at all.

I didn't expect him to be this angry - saying that because I had put so much time in planning (since this was our first and likely only trip with 4 yr old) and because he helped get the FPs over 7 days and spent 3-4 hrs in discussing the whole trip. He says if it's not flu it will be zika or something else. And if I try one more time and that gets canceled and we lose the ticket $$$, he is done with WDW (it will be a big loss but won't kill us to lose the money if that happens).

DH has never given ultimatums like this or behaved like this. Yes he has been under tremendous work pressure, dealing with some issues from his family and made some effort to take this time off. Also we do have some health issues mainly his own which can make future travel iffy. I have never posted for opinions in this manner but this trip planning has been like none other and I am tired and confused.

WWYD?
I'm not trying to be insensitive, but the thought process of cancelling an upcoming vacation because you didn't choose to get the flu shot seems insane. Millions of ppl. never get the flu shot and still travel, it's really NOT a big deal. I'd be beyond annoyed and angry if I was your DH as well. Unless there's some extreme high risk health issue that makes you or your kids extremely vulnerable to the flu and would create extreme long term health risks to you, there's no way that you should now freak out about traveling to Disney. You'll be fine. If on the ridiculous off chance you do get the flu, again 99% of the time you'll be fine.

Take a step back, breathe, relax and go.

Where I am the flu is considerably more active than the Orlando area, even with the large amount of people from various different places, crowds at WDW, etc. I am probably just as likely to get the flu by going to my local Target, as I am going to WDW, it is really bad here. Wash your hands regularly, and make sure that you keep your hands away from your face at all times.

I also just got back from a WDW trip (Jan 3rd-11th) and we did not get the flu, nor did any of the friends that we met up with while there. Flu can happen anywhere just take basic precautions.

I'm sorry but flu season doesn't really move, you knew the trip would be during flu season. I'd get the shots now (they'll typically decrease severity at least) and go unless you have a reason to be especially concerned (immunocompromised, chemo, child that is under the age of 6 months, etc.). I mean it's not like it's a sudden new disease. It sounds like a bit of buyers remorse on not getting the flu shot, but to cancel your vacation because you forgot about your vacation and didn't prepare, doesn't sound like a logical choice. Take your airborne, vitamin c, and hand sanitizer and have a good time.

We never get the flu shot. I have two children with medical reasons not to. We go everywhere. No one had ever had the flu, but have had other medical issues that there is no vaccine for. That's life. I can't imagine living my life shut up in my house bc we can't get the flu shot. GO.

I went about 25 years of my life without ever getting the flu shot before I actually got it...A few years later once we had kids we did start getting the flu shot (and kids too). We have one case in the house about every 2 years. It isn't 100%. If I were going I'd buy that OTC remedy everyone is talking about (Elderberry syrup & Oscillococcinum) and have it in your room in case you need it.

I would not cancel your trip. Take probiotics and vitamins. Get plenty of sleep to help your immune system. And stay home as much as possible the week or two before your trip to do your best to start your trip with everyone healthy.
I know it's so stressful to think about your kids getting sick while spending that much money for a vacation. But there is no way I would cancel unless your family had it hit right before you leave. Try to relax and like others said wash hands often and use hand sanitizer when you can't. Wipe down tables that you sit at. Walking into Walmart or Target you are exposed... You can't hide. Enjoy your trip

If I did this my husband would lAugh until he cried and then say...I’m taking the Kids, hAve fun at home! Please go. I hAve had chemotherapy and in the midst went to Disney with s very bad immune system; i went with s bad back using a wheel chair. I can’t imagine canceling just because I neglected to get flu shots on the off chance that I might get sick.

Get the flu shot and go or don't get thit shot and go anyways. Cancel should not be a option.

My two toddlers and myself get the shot annually without issue. My arm may be sore for a day..

My coworker and family spend 12k to go to Aruba for Christmas. Their oldest son 10ish started feeling sick on the plane. Endd up having the flu. Spent the 2nd or 3rd day in the hospital and the rest taking care of him.

Even at 10% protection I would still get it. I have a great sick policy (never used it, 10 years perfect attendanc) but it wasn't always the case. Previous job was no work no pay.

Don't change plans for a "might". My kid had a puking virus twice this summer when he just went to grandma's all day and hasn't had even a cough since school started back up.

We didn't get the flu vaccination, not even the kids. I used to, many years ago but would fall sick, very sick anyway and DH never did and would be fine. I stopped and it wasn't any different or there were years when I was perfectly fine when others around me were not.

Fast forward to this year - we have a trip coming up in a few days and with the flu season going as it is, I think we should postpone. I am kicking myself and have promised myself to get the shot for myself and kids going forward but it's too late for kiddo now as it takes 6 weeks with the 2 shots to work. It's 2 shots for kids who have never had it as 1st is not useful without the 2nd I am told.

I have linked the tickets to MDE but I know they are valid till end of 2018. DH didn't take it well at all.

I didn't expect him to be this angry - saying that because I had put so much time in planning (since this was our first and likely only trip with 4 yr old) and because he helped get the FPs over 7 days and spent 3-4 hrs in discussing the whole trip. He says if it's not flu it will be zika or something else. And if I try one more time and that gets canceled and we lose the ticket $$$, he is done with WDW (it will be a big loss but won't kill us to lose the money if that happens).

DH has never given ultimatums like this or behaved like this. Yes he has been under tremendous work pressure, dealing with some issues from his family and made some effort to take this time off. Also we do have some health issues mainly his own which can make future travel iffy. I have never posted for opinions in this manner but this trip planning has been like none other and I am tired and confused.

WWYD?

I side with your dh! In all this planning you never gave flu a thought? It's everywhere - the grocery, schools, etc. - so would not worry so much about Disney. You could easily catch the flu if you stayed home!

I would go!!!! We always use hand sanitizer and wash our hands often and try to keep them away from our faces. Just relax - what will be, will be!!!! Have fun!

I would go, staying home will not prevent you from getting sick, the flu is everywhere. You very well could pass on this vacation and you end up sick anyway. Then you would really be upset.

DS1/2 had flu shot a couple years when very young but none since (now 28 and 33), only because DS1 is disabled and they both had pneumonia so doc suggested a couple years. I am ... old ... never had the flu shot, rarely get sick. DH used to get it every year since a kid ... even he stopped getting it when he would still get sick and I wouldn't. DD is 24, had her first this year ....... got sick. Flu shot was not as effective this year as others.

I am not trying to say it's good or bad, I just feel like for us not getting it has helped our body build it's own natural immunity. Everyone has their own opinion and needs to follow their own gut. We are heading to Disney soon and am sure there will be plenty of sick people there.

We avoid hand rails, use hand sanitizer (even though we normally do not), wash hands often even if we don't need to potty, try to keep gaps between us and other guests in lines, avoid water fountains. We shower in the morning for us, and shower at night before we go to bed for all the park germs on us.

A big one that many going to Disney would not like to hear ............ buffets ............. bad. My FIL worked for FDA (inspector) and he told us the worse place you can eat is a buffet. Aside from the littlest temperature flux on the food can be bad ........ but all the germs that folks leave behind since those guards do very little to protect the food. Guest 1 picks up spoon to gather food, puts down, Guest 2 picks up spoon ............ He would say getting sick after eating at a buffet may be just as much sharing serving spoons as it is the actual food.

Last edited:
. DH didn't take it well at all.

I didn't expect him to be this angry - saying that because I had put so much time in planning (since this was our first and likely only trip with 4 yr old) and because he helped get the FPs over 7 days and spent 3-4 hrs in discussing the whole trip. He says if it's not flu it will be zika or something else. And if I try one more time and that gets canceled and we lose the ticket $$$, he is done with WDW (it will be a big loss but won't kill us to lose the money if that happens)
WWYD?
For what its worth I'd be pissed too. I would imagine this isnt your first over-anxious concern about something, but I digress, and I dont mean any disrespect. :offtopic:

So GOOOOO to DISNEY!!!!
Since you are concerned I might talk to my Doctor ahead of time and see if they will write a ThermaFlu RX ahead of trip in case you need it, just to help with the paranoia. Also a number of health plans now have Video Calls for after hours or when you are out of town. They can write a RX and have it sent to a Pharmacy near you.

Also on a side note for future reference even if the Flu vaccine doesnt prevent the Flu it can help reduce the length and seriousness of it.

There's a lot of good advice as to what to do to prevent/protect yourself and your family. I simply want to add-- as someone who used to live in Fl and now doesn't-- that getting sick in FL is such a nonissue with the amount of clinics they have. Oh, how I miss being able to use a Walgreen's walk-in clinic or CVS Minute Clinic!! Even Target has walk in clinics! They were cheaper than urgent cares and didn't take very long at all. So, even if someone got sick, you'd have several options that wouldn't take too long (by comparison of an ER or cost of a traditional urgent care).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter