Problems with dark queues?

FrankDIS72

Be excellent to each other!
I think some queues are way too dark, like Kong and Forbidden Journey. One time I went into the Kong queue and it was so dark I was afraid to move, for fear that I would bump into something. I did go through the queue, but I kept running into dead ends. I was almost tempted to turn on the flashlight on my phones. Does anyone else have a problem navigating these dark queues? Other than bringing a torch, is there something else I can do to not bump into walls in the dark?

Agree & add The Mummy for me & my husband! Would it kill them to put some little lights along the paths? WAY too dark for us in several of the lines :(.

Lasik destroyed my dark vision, so many queues are too dark for me. I’m glad my son goes on Mummy now I so I don’t have to hug the wall through the SR line for it. He holds my arm and leads me.

We've had a few times where the EP line is really short for Mummy. You start walking fast and your eyes don't have time to adjust and you just have to stop and wait for a minute.

There are places in that queue where it's easy to lose your bearings and not know where to turn next. Fun for a HHN house, not fun when I just want to get on the ride ;)

I think for me it's a combination to me always adjusting to darkness pretty well and being so used to the layout since when I have an AP I go so often to the parks I can navigate better. I want to say this Saturday the Mummy seemed darker than usual (however it's been two years), but luckily due to me remembering the layout and what is to come, I was able to easily navigate upstairs with no struggle. I also always mentally prepared myself in case someone wants to jump scare me, as a few times TMs have done that when I come around the corner while I'm in the SR line.

I just got my pass back so I haven't seen all the queues yet again, but if that was a hint at what the queues are for others that are known to be dark I definitely understand why it'd be a problem, even more so now, because if I didn't know I had to turn at the end of the SR line to walk into the area where other guests were and up the stairs, I would have slammed into that wall. That's how dark it was.

I use a flashlight.

Nice to meet you on Poseidon's Fury yesterday. 😉

Totally joking, but that would be funny if you did happen to be at IoA yesterday, because someone did do that in the queue and I never seen that before.

In Hagrids the other day they had a TM standing at the end of the rope as you enter the pre-show area. How to know when your queue is too dark...

Yup, me too. I always have my hand brushing the wall as I walk through the Mummy express queue.

Nice to meet you on Poseidon's Fury yesterday. 😉

Totally joking, but that would be funny if you did happen to be at IoA yesterday, because someone did do that in the queue and I never seen that before.
I had someone using a phone flashlight in the Haunted Mansion stretching room a couple of weeks ago. I said something to him to the effect that I hope he wasn't going to use it on the ride, because I have had experience with people filming with external lighting and ruining several scenes. I don't mind it in the line if someone really can't see.

Mummy single rider is the worst because there is no time for eyes to adjust.

When I first enter the dark queue, I close my eyes for a couple seconds and reopen them. Seems to help my eyes adjust faster.

DH had a lot of fun in October as I kept running into gates and walls. Hilarious. Worst for me was Kong. I also had trouble with Mummy and parts of Forbidden Journey. I took to holding onto his arm (like I do for the houses during HHN).

I found this forum while Googling this same problem. Dark queues were a challenge in single rider lines when I went last November. Due to low crowd levels right now during COVID-19 and not going solo, I had to walk through long empty dark queues. My bf's eyes apparently adjust faster. Even with his white T-shirt and me holding his hand from behind him, I was scared to bump into something. I love dark queues with good theming and low crowd levels, it was just so difficult to deal with. I'm glad I wasn't there solo.

The biggest offenders for me were Kong and Mummy.

Yeah, I certainly agree with most...not only is it too dark on Mummy and Kong, but the sounds they play also play havoc on by sense of balance (the combination of dark and sound, really) and I sometimes get a bit seasick walking through those queues. Mummy is worst, then Kong, and Hagrid's is really only too dark right in the beginning...for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!