Problems with Soaring over the world??

EastYorkDisneyFan

DIS Veteran
I get that people dislike the fact that you can oly get a cler view of things from a certain angle which otherwise it doesn't seem right. What I don't get is Pete balming imagaineri and saying they should have know it would be apropblem. Guess waht they know it is and it;s not something that can be fixed, it's the nature of the Imax dome technology. The images are projected onto a curved screen almost a half sphere using a fisheye lens which means there is distortion around the edge when you view it from certain angles, even in the original version there was distortion, however, it wasn't as noticeable because they weren't in the frame as often as they are now or they wer obsured better. Like for example the golden gate bridge in the opening shot would be bent if you lookead at it from either of the siders the same with the buildings in downtown LA.

The California version was not nearly as bad as this one is. This one is also mostly CGI images unlike the previous where most of it was actual film.
True but most of the people that hate it because of the distortion come off as bing ignorent to the technolgy behind it to me. As Is said in my original post they are limted to waht is avalabe with the Imax dome tecnolgy and the curent Imax laser projectors for showing a digital film. I'm sure if they could find a way to have everyone have the exact perfect view trhey would do it in a secnd but they are limited to today's technology.

True but most of the people that hate it because of the distortion come off as bing ignorent to the technolgy behind it to me. As Is said in my original post they are limted to waht is avalabe with the Imax dome tecnolgy and the curent Imax laser projectors for showing a digital film. I'm sure if they could find a way to have everyone have the exact perfect view trhey would do it in a secnd but they are limited to today's technology.
While I still enjoy the attraction they could’ve done better so it’s not as bad as it is.

Here's an example of the type of distortion on Soarin' Around the World. If you are sitting in the A & C sections, especially near the doors this is the type of image you'll see. I found it very distracting, and not everyone can sit in the middle.

upload_2018-4-13_19-47-44.png

Soarin' Over California gives a much better show, and if they had stayed with those types of scenes for the world it would have been better, in my opinion.

OP has a point re IMAX. However, these limitations are widely known and the imagineers must have known of this effect at the early script stage before they chose these specific World landmarks. At the very least, they could have made much smarter choices and avoided the tipsy tower. The Iguazu Waterfalls, outriggers in Fiji & balloons over Monument Valley aren't that terrible and it had to be obvious from the early stages that some locales whether CGI or natural were better candidates.

I agree with PPs that California was a much more immersive experience. During soft openings for World, a handful of imagineers were standing at the bays to observe. While waiting, I asked one if they would ever consider keeping the classic California film in one theatre. 'Never' was his reply as he looked over my head searching for more enthusiastic guests. I guess the price of progress is sometimes one step back. Sadly, the guest experience isn't always king.

I was going to say the say thing @samsteele said - it is an issue with this technique loft but the best imagineers were problem solvers and would figure out a way to work around the limitations they had OR invent new technology to achieve the effect they needed (or they would have left it out)

I think there are some great aspects to the new ride and personally I don’t think the CGI is that bad (one scene is pretty bad but the others unless you are looking for it/know it is there you may get miss) - but the distortion can really take you out of the immersion and they seem to want more and more immersion in their attractions now that this aspect of the ride is a bit of a let down (though personally I don’t think enough to say it “sucks” - just not as good as r could be)

I've seen the new show twice and don't ever plan to do it again. The image quality is awful and in no way at all similar to the experience of the original film. The CGI looks fake. The distortion is outrageous. I really don't know what they were thinking when they did this. I don't know how anybody from Disney watched this and thought it looked good.

While waiting, I asked one if they would ever consider keeping the classic California film in one theatre. 'Never' was his reply as he looked over my head searching for more enthusiastic guests. I guess the price of progress is sometimes one step back. Sadly, the guest experience isn't always king.

That makes me so sad. I’ve been hopeful they might bring it back after all the negative feedback about the World version.

I've seen the new show twice and don't ever plan to do it again. The image quality is awful and in no way at all similar to the experience of the original film. The CGI looks fake. The distortion is outrageous. I really don't know what they were thinking when they did this. I don't know how anybody from Disney watched this and thought it looked good.

I agree with almost every word and it's a shame. The first time I saw it I loved it and thought it might be better than the original. But now? I barely have any interest in seeing it, as opposed to the original which was a must do at least twice each trip. In fact, I just got back a couple days ago and for the first time ever on a Disney trip I didn't even ride it. Especially now with Flight of Passage... Soarin' is merely an afterthought for me. And it's really a shame because it used to be one of the crown jewels of Disney World.

Ya it’s one I skip now too. We only went on it last trip so my husband could finally see it for himself.

I completely agree with this, I will also add that I strongly dislike the cheesy transitions between scenes that the newer version has. I will do this attraction if someone else in my party requests it, but if I were on my own I would skip it entirely. I wish they would bring the original back to DCA at least.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!