Problems with Soaring over the world??

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by EastYorkDisneyFan, Apr 13, 2018.

1. hertamaniac

hertamaniac Give me 95 degrees everyday

We're going next week and now I will become even more target centric on this flaw (this will be my 2nd time and likely last time). It seems to me the upgrades to Mission Space and Soarin' have become a one (or at most two) time experience. It makes me wonder if WDW knew these lack of guest experience(s) and deployed it by design.

2. disneysteve

disneysteve DIS meet junkie

Yes, that too.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. hertamaniac

Sometimes, I will take my elderly mother to the parks. As such, she couldn't handle FOP, but Soarin' gives her great joy. But, her son, me, is a perfectionist and am reluctant to point out this flaw. So I guess there is a target audience for the update (not upgrade) to Soarin', it's just not for me or the passionate guest that demands better.

SorcererHeidi and Tonyz like this.
  5. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

I would love if they had the California option either in one theater or like certain days or after a certain time or something

I also wish they would film a few more “around the world” scenes and then randomize what you get and what order (sort of like what they do with Star Tours) so each ride is a little different

6. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

I actually like the transitions in the new one better than just the hard cuts in the old one

Look_Alive and ariane37 like this.
  7. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Have to agree with the majority of the posts here. The new Soarin is now where near as good as the original. The original dealt with the same technical issues of the huge curved screen. They compensated with the framing of their shots. In the new version they've gone more with scenes that actually highlight this issue - think Eiffel tower - rather than use a camera angle that minimize it.

Also agree with the transition comments. Please don't just blow air at me every time we switch to an new location. Yes, I'm sure they thought it was a clue that you were flying off to someplace else. But it really gets tiresome.

8. SorcererHeidi

SorcererHeidi Sorcerer please cast forever love spell for me

Wow @WebmasterMaryJo - thabx for providing that picture! I'd HEARD about it, but had never SEEN it. I still plan to see it for myself someday, but I think I also will take "luck of the draw" on seating the first time I see it, then be prepared to ask for/wait for center (and maybe even front row, 'cause I've never been there either) seating for another viewing. It certainly IS a daggone shame that "whomever" thought that type of experience was acceptable. And I don't know/care to know how to fix it - they don't PAY me to know/do that - they DO pay Imaginears for that!

WebmasterMaryJo likes this.
  9. GreatLakes

GreatLakes DIS Veteran

I really dislike all the CGI. I wish they would have just flown over amazing views, which are available all over Earth, and let the natural beauty speak for itself. Having one or two small CGI touches, like the golf ball scene in the original, is fine but I felt less like I was flying over the world and more like I was in a computer program that simulated flying over the world.

10. loves to dive

loves to dive DIS Veteran

We also skip it now, we've seen it twice thinking we could put up with it the second time but it was just blah to us and not worth waiting for. We loved the old one. I don't mind the CGI, it's the distortion and lack of smells and feelings that the old one had.

11. cschaaf

cschaaf Mouseketeer

Bold for emphasis - I think you answered your own question.

If you knew that's what helped in the old film, shouldn't Imagineering have known that and worked the new video to take advantage of those same things?

OKW Lover likes this.
  12. KingLlama

KingLlama My car finished 3rd on Radiator Springs Racers.

Quit beating around the bush, Steve....did you like it or not?

13. Greenfield1984

Greenfield1984 DIS Veteran

Wow is the new version really this bad? Or simply bad in comparison to the original.

Say you knew nothing of the original and saw the new version. Would it be a good to great experience like the original was?

14. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

Interesting question! I'd say that most people would really enjoy the new version. Yes, they would notice the distortion but might think that was ok.

rteetz likes this.
  15. kbelle8995

kbelle8995 DIS Veteran

I dislike the cheesy CGI. I really like the old one it was so relaxing. This one with the animals splashing you in every scene is a bit repetitive.

If I hadn't seen the original I think the repetitiveness would still annoy me.

OKW Lover likes this.
  16. TheMaxRebo

TheMaxRebo DIS Veteran

I think it is more how much you notice / are negatively affected by the distortion and CGI - so even if you never saw the first one I could see that throwing you off if you noticed it. It's probably just even more apparent to those that have seen the original as these weren't issues (or not nearly as significant issues) with the new one so it is more noticeable.

17. KingLlama

KingLlama My car finished 3rd on Radiator Springs Racers.

Regarding the distortion issue...Does it help if you lay across several seats, as I always do when I ride Soarin'?

MaryKatesMom and limace like this.
  18. hertamaniac

I wonder if the update included the Leaning Tower of Pisa would sections A & C see it "as built"? :rolleyes1

SorcererHeidi likes this.
  19. disneysteve

disneysteve DIS meet junkie

Good question. Obviously I can't answer for sure since I have been on the original but I'd have to say that if I saw this with no prior knowledge, I'd still find it to be a one-and-done experience. The graphics are lousy. I really don't think it's something that I'd want to do over and over.

SorcererHeidi likes this.
  20. huntconn

huntconn "Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile."

The Taj Mahal section is particularly bad imo. Obviously CGI. Doesn't look remotely real. I've read that it had to be CGI because permission would not be granted by the Indian government. If true, why include it at all? Aren't there literally thousands of other natural or man made locales that could have been used?

21. Ben E N

Ben E N DIS Veteran

I don't even notice the curving in the screen because I'm too focused on how darn fake everything is. The second a killer whale jumped out of the water, followed immediately by a polar bear growling, and then a glacier falling into the water, I started laughing and the ride was ruined for me. If you're going to fake it, either pretend it's real, or do something really fun with us like take us on a tour of Saturn.

disneysteve likes this.